HJ47 Towing Capacity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents,

Please forgive me...I tried the search function to no avail...

What is the towing capacity of an HJ47? Does it change if said HJ47 is equipped with a 12HT motor? Does anybody here have experience towing with the old troopy?

Thanks!

You will get many different answers as it depends on country, year of troopy and trailer.
I would be more worried about what brakes you have on the troopy, and the trailer. Power does not dictate your safe towing capacity, brakes are more critical.
But you can get started here.
HJ47 Tow Capacity

Good luck.
What are you trying to tow? How much weight, does it have trailer brakes?
I towed a small trailer, 800lbs with not brakes to Mexico and back with no problems at all. But it is a light trailer.

Thanks

gmac, I really appreciate the response. Looking to tow a 23' Airstream (ideally a 25' but I think that's out of the question). The weight for the 23' would be 6000lbs max. It does have trailer brakes (would those connect ok to an old troopy?). I'm also wondering about the availability of class III hitches (or class IV) for an HJ47.

Sorry, many questions..

Way to much to ask for a troopy and 2h. I towed an 1500lb tent trailer with my Fj45 and it was barely adequate. I tow my 28ft travel trailer with my crewcab duramax dually with 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque. It tows with ease but couldn't imagine even hooking up a big trailer to a troopy! The toungue weight alone is too much. Hate to say it, but you will need a smaller trailer or a proper tow rig.

Definitely. I have to agree. Thanks for the reply!

when we go out and cut wood, we often weighed in at 6.5 ton (13,000 pounds) vehicle included (4,000 pound, trailer and load 9,000 ish or more). that is with a trayback 47 with the stock 2h but with the discs up front. was not fast but would still pull 55+ mp/h on the flat. yes that's heavy, we had a re-enforced chassis and heavy duty springs on the old girl though. we did countless trips and the old girl never complained.

if doing long highway trips u need a 5-speed. if pulling a trailer, DO NOT use 5th gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom