Hitch with rear step (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a ConFerr rear hitch on my FJ40 for the last 31+ years. I wanted an OEM rear step. You can't have both and no commercial hitches will clear the step.

Note that I don't need a serious duty hitch - I might use this for my log splitter or a small Japanese pickup bed trailer. So, a 1.25" receiver hitch made sense.

So, a buddy gave me a 1.25" receiver hitch from an '88 Isuzu Trooper, and I bought a piece of 5"x4" angle, 12" long. I cut the angle with my chop saw and slicing disk, and cut up the Trooper hitch to salvage the center section. Welded them together. Nice clearance from the step, and a found-at-Goodwill long hitch insert clears the step nicely and there is room for your boot on the step. The hitch ball is 22" off the ground, which is close to what it was. The hitch also hides some minor rear cross member damage from an elk hunt many years ago. So, I'm back in the towing business.

Steve

DSCN3102.JPG

DSCN3185.JPG

DSCN3436.JPG

DSCN3465.JPG

DSCN3464.JPG

(I have to reply to attach more than 5 photos.)

I added two bolts underneath to securitly attach the hitch to my cross member. There were existing holes in the cross member in pretty much the right place.

DSCN3472.JPG

DSCN3469.JPG

I know this idea may be to late but did you ever consider a pintle hitch with ball?

I don't see how it would clear the factory step. Pintle hitches (that I have seen) drop down fairly far below the bolting plate.

I don't see how it would clear the factory step. Pintle hitches (that I have seen) drop down fairly far below the bolting plate.

Believe he is talking about the Pintle hitch that bolts directly to the four holes in the back of rear frame member. I have a number of those pintle hitches minus the ball. Plan to switch to the style that has a two ball cast in the end. The other type uses a regular bball bolted to the bottom piece. I use trailers with the lunette most the time and only trailer I would use for the ball is a small trailer made from an early seventies Hilux pickup. Sure the cast one would be up to the task.

Here is a non ball type for reference.
IMG_2516.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom