$hitbox Sally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
Threads
Feeling spry today so figured I’d take a stab at starting a “build” thread for my dumpster with a 6-banger. I have no idea how to add the build prefix to the title, but F it.

I’ve wanted an 80 since around ‘92, when my dad’s buddy bought one and clowned my dad’s 40 for being a rust bucket. We started a frame off resto of the 40 three days later and finished about 10 years after that.

Said 40, which my dad bought new in 1973:
2CE258A3-B466-4B43-A02C-109E22666C3E.jpeg

But I’ve always been a cheap bastard who loves Toyota 4x4 jalopies. I found this 1994 FZJ80 a couple of months after we moved to Colorado. It was listed for sale on Facebook Marketplace by a 30-something lady who bought it 4 years prior as a project that she and her dad could work on together and restore. Unfortunately, her dad passed away a year or so later and the dream never came to fruition. But she had a friend who was a mechanic and did some engine and drivetrain maintenance/repairs for her over the years. However, she had reached the end of her pocketbook and didn’t want to keep throwing parts at the 80, so she decided to sell. I messaged her and she drove this beauty from Vail to Denver the next day so I could look at it.

E56D1C51-CF2A-47D9-B2ED-C427E90EDD4D.jpeg

4F48EE8A-8D44-48E9-AF48-273A1AE4A17B.jpeg

The truck had 351k miles on the clock, was throwing a code 24, and the battery died and the A/T oil light came on both in the parking lot while I was checking out the truck. The battery was 4 years old and toast and the fitting in the bottom of the new radiator for the A/T cooler was leaking like a damn waterfall. She had it listed for $3k and I got the keys for $1,700 of my wife’s money. I then went across the street to Advance Auto and bought a new battery and a quart of ATF, tightened up the cooler fitting at the bottom of the radiator, and the 80 was good to go for a 1-hour drive back to Longmont.

Despite the high miles, torched paint, and general exterior ugliness, the truck was an absolute gem on the inside and in the engine bay. Cloth seats for the win! 😍
EE8993F1-41D0-4D42-A0FA-C570C268F4A8.jpeg

AD28D723-A160-4D28-8740-B2F7BEF56C83.jpeg

And, surprisingly, not a spec of rust anywhere on the frame/chassis.
BE87B812-D866-4FE4-8537-F47BD5200A74.jpeg

Last edited:
In true $hitbox fashion, I then decided to defer all other needed maintenance and repairs until a later date. The transfer case is pissing oil from every orifice, the PS pump is filled with some yellow junk and groans like hell, and the front crank seal + oil pump o-ring are puking oil all over the place. Don’t care, stuffing meaty bois is priority numero uno.

So a few days after buying Sally, I read some of the previous posts by @GW Nugget and the late @Tools R Us, and I then picked up a set of 5 used but minty 17” FJ Cruiser steelies from a local Mud member for a couple hundred bucks, a set of 1” Bora spacers from Mud classifieds, and a set of 5 used but only 2 years-old dirty-sevens (37x12.50) for a few hundred bucks. I got all 5 mounted and balanced for $125 total and then stuffed them under the 27 year-old factory suspension.

$hitbox Sally was officially born:
9380F909-6F83-45EB-8344-1ACBCAFCB797.jpeg

CB66FD58-CD23-4956-97B4-89A670308995.jpeg

C7DAC5BC-9BDF-4DD7-B650-8013FE218935.jpeg

Great catch. love the seats and its not green. Any plans for it?
A few weeks after buying the 80, I sold a 3rd gen 4runner that I had owned for 16 years for $8k (mind you, I paid $10k for it 16 years prior). So I have a few thousand burning a hole in my pocket to get the 80 squared away.

Tentative plans are for this to become my field work truck and also general family beat-around-the-woods truck. I’m a Carnivore Ecology Researcher, so am out roaming the woods/mountains/deserts capturing bears, lions, etc. multiple times a year. So I’ll get the overdue maintenance and repairs done soon, replace the suspension with some flexy stuff, and slap on some bumpers. Undecided about the paint - wife hates it and wants me to repaint the entire truck, I think it has character and should remain the way it is.

Because a code 24 existed when I bought the 80, I couldn’t get it registered yet. It had to pass commie emissions in Boulder County, where I won’t be able to drive any of my vehicles like 15-25 years from now due to guvment resolutions to become 100% EV.

Anyways, I went through the FSM process for testing the VAF and found the IAT circuit to be dead. I posted about it here: ‘94 VAF - Replace THA pin or repair IAT circuit? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/94-vaf-replace-tha-pin-or-repair-iat-circuit.1252398/ This is NLA from Toyota, so I pulled the unit and sent it to a guy in South Carolina for repair: REPAIR SERVICE 93-94 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER MAF MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR REPAIR SERVICE | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/324512370706?hash=item4b8e71d012:g:hcEAAOSwVctY5CHI

1F1B5CD0-B04F-4523-8024-BD4734420E16.jpeg

A couple of weeks later he had it back to me, I installed the repaired unit along with a new intake tube, and by god it worked. No more code 24 😎

I like the cut of your jib. Ingenuity trumps budget everyday in my world.

I like the cut of your jib. Ingenuity trumps budget everyday in my world.
Southwest VA coal mine born and raised. We hillbillies ain’t ever had much money but have always had some craftiness. You know what I’m talmn bout!
1632612194771.gif

Norton? Outside of Mouth of Wilson? Don’t toy with me! Haha.

Because a code 24 existed when I bought the 80, I couldn’t get it registered yet. It had to pass commie emissions in Boulder County, where I won’t be able to drive any of my vehicles like 15-25 years from now due to guvment resolutions to become 100% EV.

Anyways, I went through the FSM process for testing the VAF and found the IAT circuit to be dead. I posted about it here: ‘94 VAF - Replace THA pin or repair IAT circuit? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/94-vaf-replace-tha-pin-or-repair-iat-circuit.1252398/ This is NLA from Toyota, so I pulled the unit and sent it to a guy in South Carolina for repair: REPAIR SERVICE 93-94 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER MAF MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR REPAIR SERVICE | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/324512370706?hash=item4b8e71d012:g:hcEAAOSwVctY5CHI

View attachment 2795660

A couple of weeks later he had it back to me, I installed the repaired unit along with a new intake tube, and by god it worked. No more code 24 😎
He’s actually a member here.

Great story. Don't touch the paint - it looks amazing. I love rigs that are stone reliable and capable, and look like hell. Play on player.

Not a “mod”, but a cheap and practical necessity: At some point, the PO cracked the passenger side headlight, for which her solution was to just fill it with silicone.

576C0660-54BB-47AF-9BA9-ACA91D60EAE6.jpeg

Although that was an aesthetically very fitting fix for this old jalopy, I’d like to be able to at least see something other than shadows at night. Plus, the taillights were some awful LED junkers that were also busted.

A Mud member over in Memphis had a really good condition set of OEM headlights and taillights from a ‘93 that he was parting out, so I snagged those.
0CA4E2FE-685E-4F93-97E0-104907E708B4.jpeg

Last edited:
Great story. Don't touch the paint - it looks amazing. I love rigs that are stone reliable and capable, and look like hell. Play on player.
I do, too. I also really want it to keep its character and history. Let the truck tell onlookers about the life it has lived and the $hit it has been through.

Goodyear MTRs are directional, Look at the last pic, the double nobby should be on the outside...

Goodyear MTRs are directional, Look at the last pic, the double nobby should be on the outside...
MTRs are not directional. They’re asymmetrical.

well, there you go.

“Although it’s indicated on the tire to “mount this side inboard,” our Goodyear contacts assured us the tire can be run either way.”

“Although it’s indicated on the tire to “mount this side inboard,” our Goodyear contacts assured us the tire can be run either way.”
That's great info. I am a little too OCD to run both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom