HIR Bulbs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shocker said:
The IPFs are the same as all the other HIR bulbs, as I beleive Toshiba is the only manufacturer.... IPF just rebrands them.

Ahh, didnt know that! Thanks for the info!

Boston Mangler said:
Anyone know where to find these 100w hellas?

Don't waste your money on the Korean 100w Hellas. They are pure crap. Mine blew out after 2 minutes. Too much of a PITA to try and get them exchanged. You might be able to find the German 100w bulbs if you're lucky.

The Toshiba HIR's are doing great.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Don't waste your money on the Korean 100w Hellas. They are pure crap. Mine blew out after 2 minutes. Too much of a PITA to try and get them exchanged. You might be able to find the German 100w bulbs if you're lucky.

Thanks for the heads up, any idea on where to find the Germans?

Boston Mangler said:
Thanks for the heads up, any idea on where to find the Germans?

Nope. I gave up on the Hellas and bought the HIR's from Daniel Stern.

-B-

UPDATE - - !!!!!!

Since the local Deere shop is a whopping 0.2 miles away from me here at work .... stopped by on the way home. Asked them to look up both part #'s from the FAQ. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=11932 Near the bottom of section 5. Here's what I learned from them....

AH162232 - This is described as "BULB, HIR 9012". Cool - perfect - However, it's unavailable and discontinued. But that part # has been superseded by.....

AH211917 - This is described as "BULB, HIR 2". HIR 2 ???? I ask??? Friendly helpful parts guy assured me that they are an identical replacement part. Couldn't tell me the manufacturer (asked - hoped he would answer Toshiba - oh well). But he could pull up some technical diagrams. Visually they are just what I'm looking for. Now the good part - $28.50 each - plus a $2 ordering fee since they aren't an in stock item and need delivered. Decided to take a flier on them. The risk?? - - I'm committed to buying them sight unseen. They'll be here on Monday. I'll report back then.....

Now the trivia ... There are 620 of these bulbs left in the Deere parts network. Yes - there's some trimming and filing in the future. However, If you'd rather do a little rewiring the bulb sockets are also available. But since the bulb mod is an easy mod I'll do that. Also - any guesses on what Deere equipment these bulbs are used??? Combines and Harvesters

Just to make it totally clear - - If this works (which from everyone's experiences it should) this takes care of only the LOW BEAM. The high beam will need to be acquired elsewhere.

Time now to order that wiring harness from Slee......

After speaking with Mr. Slee I learned that he used to carry the IPF HIRs. He said he quit supplying them because of many unhappy customers saying they lasted 30 seconds to 2 months. If I understood correctly they are NOT made by Toshiba but rather another manufacturer. He told me to definitely go Toshiba on these things. The wiring harness he carries should be here tomorrow:)

LabRat11 said:
The high beam will need to be acquired elsewhere.
Time now to order that wiring harness from Slee......

In my talkings with Dan Stern, these bulbs are perfectly fine with out the harness upgrade. Has anyone actually seen an improvement with the harness upgrade and these specific bulbs? Hopefully someone has because i just ordered the harness because i was planning on 100w high beams, but now it seems the HIR might be my ONLY option for an improved 9005!!!

Any insight to the harness upgrade light improvement when using these HIR bulbs?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:

Those are crap.

If you want the real deal, read the FAQ and go HIR.

The Slee harness upgrade helps HIR bulbs the same as they help the OEM bulb, by getting maximum power to the bulbs with minimal dropoff. You do not need the harness upgrade, however, as these bulbs use the same power as the OEM ones do and will not overload the stock wiring.

LabRat11 said:
However, If you'd rather do a little rewiring the bulb sockets are also available.

Anyone who would do that is a fool, as the modifications to the HIR bulbs are so effing easy.

When you get the bulbs from Deere, check to make sure they have the infrared coating. HIR2's have always been the low beam bulbs, HIR1's are the high beams. Maybe Deere is just now incorporating the correct nomenclature into their ordering system.

Yeah, I'm thinking about giving up myself.

There has to be about 20 threads after he did the FAQ that have covered the same thing over and over again.

At least there might be new info on the J Deere bulbs in this one, but still...

FZJFillmore said:
Somwhere, Cary is twitching.

Actually, just shaking my head. It's funny, even after posting to READ THE FAQ, it seems that nobody bothers.

BTW, for the guy that asked, THERE ARE NO GERMAN HELLA 9005 BULBS, ONLY KOREAN. When you order the Korean bulbs, make sure to order a few spares, as even the high beams with minimal use only make it 1-2 months. After you have wasted your $40 on the Korean bulbs, you will realize the HIR 9011 high beams would have been a sound investment at $60.

shocker said:
Anyone who would do that is a fool, as the modifications to the HIR bulbs are so effing easy. .
I concur - I plan on doing the bulb mod myself. Just pointing out the fact that the sockets are available from Deere should anyone want to take that direction.

shocker said:
When you get the bulbs from Deere, check to make sure they have the infrared coating. .
How do you verify that the bulbs have the coating?? Visually?? Check the paperwork??

shocker said:
HIR2's have always been the low beam bulbs, HIR1's are the high beams. Maybe Deere is just now incorporating the correct nomenclature into their ordering system.
Good to know - anxiety level far lower now.

As I said.... these bulbs are supposed to be in on Monday - I'll update then with all the results.

:beer: s and :cheers:

They'll look like the ones in the ebay add. Kind of a purplish hue.

The non HIR ones would probably be perfectly clear.

Just a quick FYI, next year the Toshiba HIR bulbs will be made in China, still owned and operated by Toshiba.

Jeez, you guys are pretty adament about your opinions! Thats fine! :)

I went with the HIR low beams and was very impressed. I am looking for an extra bright high beams so i can get away with not adding any AUX lights.

I will try these cheapy 9005 Bulbs and if they dont work, lesson learned, and i will buy the HIR highs if nothing else is out yet.

It appears to me, some of you just jump on a bandwagon when you hear info on the internet without actually having first hand knowledge and you just go by what you read! Sure there is tons of awesome info on here, but not every person is looking for the same result of a certain upgrade! My rig is NOT a daily driver and barely ever gets driven. It is it being driven, it is usually on the back roads of Baja or on the back of some roads going snowboarding.

I spoke with Dan Stern at length about the hi power 9005's and his #1 reason for not selling them and recommending against them was safety and legal reasons because they are too bright. I wont be using these on the road with other cars anyway!

I had cheapy $10 Forgeign Made 110W H-4s in my old heep and they lasted me over a year and i used them quite frequently when driving back roads at night. I was VERY happy with their performance and longevity! $10 for a bulb that lasts a year and is brighter then anything else on the market? Works for me! :D

Has anyone actually tried these bulbs from JCW? Are you sure they are the Korean ones that you speak so lowly of?

Sure, i am impressed with my HIR's for my lows, but i am looking for something VERY bright for my highs!

The slee harness should be installed this weekend!

Thanks

Last edited:
Boston Mangler said:
Sure, i am impressed with my HIR's for my lows, but i am looking for something VERY bright for my highs!

What do you have against going with a good pair of aux. lights if you want BRIGHT.

I think one of the last things you want to worry about is having your lights give up the ghost while driving in BFE or in a foul weather (in that case you wouldn't want highs anyway. ;) ).

I guess I can understand your point of view that you have tried something similar in the past with satisfactory outcome while some others (who are into lighting, mind you ;) ) have had very poor results with something similar. I think they would rather not see your hard-earned money go down the drain. ;)

Please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how you like/dislike it.

Mot ;)

mot said:
What do you have against going with a good pair of aux. lights if you want BRIGHT.

I think one of the last things you want to worry about is having your lights give up the ghost while driving in BFE or in a foul weather (in that case you wouldn't want highs anyway. ;) ).

I know it sounds lame and petty, but 2 reasons, one i like the clean look. 2 i live in San Diego and 2 friends of mine recently had their aux lights stolen (within 2 weeks of each other). One of them had 4 hella HID's stolen and the other had 2 cheesy procomps stolen. Both were in their driveways! I know obviously anything can be stolen, but my rig sits for sometimes weeks at a time in my driveway and i am out of town. I would like to try to limit exterior items attracting thieving scumbags.

mot said:
I guess I can understand your point of view that you have tried something similar in the past with satisfactory outcome

Glad someone does! :D

mot said:
Please keep us posted as to what you end up doing and how you like/dislike it.

Mot ;)

Will do for sure, and yes, it will be an honest post when i test them!

Thanks Mot, i appreciate the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom