Hidden Winch Mount Behind Factory Bumper - 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look at the picture I just posed of the ac lines
Interesting, I just looked at my '98 and that AC line looks to have more favorable routing for this mount. Instead of going under the front crossmember it doubles back up and goes over the top. Perhaps the mount will slide right on...

Saw this on a vendor's website when looking for a CB Mount. Not sure how it compares to the HF (install ease wise) but figured I'd share it. It is specifically designed for the 100.
Jason protyped this on my truck (mine in the pic) and I freaking love it. It's SO well thought out. bolts to existing holes, fairlead is perfectly flush with front bumper, bracing welded to bottom for extra support, has tabs on the bottom to retain all factory bumper tabs. It's fantastic.

The tjm one is required to bolts up to the bumper that is put on the vehicles so it is not able to be used alone. Well it can and some people have used it but I would imagine it would bend under heavy pulling when you need it the most.

The TJM winch Mount for the TJM T17 might work as well. The one linked above from TT looks very similar. Not sure though. I have been considering going this route.

The TJM winch Mount for the TJM T17 might work as well. The one linked above from TT looks very similar. Not sure though. I have been considering going this route.

The tjm one is required to bolts up to the bumper that is put on the vehicles so it is not able to be used alone. Well it can and some people have used it but I would imagine it would bend under heavy pulling when you need it the most.
Yea, that TJM mount's usefulness has been debunked on another thread, it's intended to be mounted behind a structural TJM bumper.

An update: received the mount from asfir today. The box was a little beaten up from a long journey, but the mount was undamaged. Only loss was the sticker which will have to be used on a toolbox now. It is definitely 6mm steel, or just shy of a quarter. Welds look good. It appears to be plated so it won’t rust for the journey. Will probably still paint it.
8AC076BB-1F11-48D7-9A45-58ACF082F3EF.jpeg
I need to order a winch so I can mount this thing!
84892612-ECD0-4243-A48E-1958D66357FE.jpeg

Nice. Is it fully bolt together or is there welding that’s going to be required?

Fully bolt. It would appear that it's not necessary to trim the bottom of the OE bumper reinforcement mounts, as necessary with the arb bar. One mount on my 100 is bent, however, so I will know shortly how painful it will be to work around that.

Fully bolt. It would appear that it's not necessary to trim the bottom of the OE bumper reinforcement mounts, as necessary with the arb bar. One mount on my 100 is bent, however, so I will know shortly how painful it will be to work around that.
Where did you order this from?

Asfir 4X4

It's from Israel and cost $308 shipped to Texas. It arrived 9 days from the ship date, but they didn't have it in stock when I ordered, so it took a while to be ready to ship. It is designed for diesel 100 series cruisers, so I can tell in a little how much if any modification will be necessary because the ac lines route a little differently.

Mine should be here any day now, very excited. In the meantime I’ve bought a new HF winch that I’m tearing down to waterproof, re-lube, and generally ‘improve’.

Which winch did you end up getting? Any tips on waterproofing, etc? Would love some detailed install photos when you get to that point!

Which winch did you end up getting? Any tips on waterproofing, etc? Would love some detailed install photos when you get to that point!
I bought the Badland 12k winch for $279, took it completely apart, then realized the Asfir Mount is rated to 9k :confused:. I’ll just have to live with that and be vigilant I guess.

I’m pretty much following this thread for improving the winch’s waterproofness: HF Badlands 12 k DIY winch hack waterproof upgrade mod, except for messing with the solenoid box. I think I’ll just replace it all with a better waterproof solenoid from the get go. Also, I’ll be removing & siliconing the colored wire posts on the motor housing. I may add a breather to the motor housing as well, haven’t decided yet.

I also tossed the wire cable and fairlead that came with the winch and will get a synthetic line from Tactical Recovery Equipment. I’ve already bought their fairlead and it’s great: Hard Coat anodized (won’t fade), no logo (I prefer that), US made, and only $49. Such a deal.

Once I get the mount I’ll determine how to re-position (clock) the winch’s gear housing to best position the freespool lever, and do the final waterproofing and re-assembly.

I started installing the winch today, picked up the HF 12k for 300$.
No modification needed for the AC line. it pushes against it, but a little foam tape should protect it.
One of my horns needed a little smacking to get lined up, but it mounted no problem on the undamaged side.

Yea, I received mine yesterday and will be mounting it up soon. Total weight of the mount with hardware and my aluminum fairlead is just over 36 lbs.

@Njck22 can you install the winch after the carrier plate is mounted to the truck? It looks pretty tight.

023067D2-A567-4891-B8A1-B5F7036A34DE.jpeg

02E6F26B-C32C-46D0-B0CF-1BFD166710BC.jpeg

41A6B218-B380-45F3-B1AF-9DD285E385C6.jpeg

1EB2668D-F22A-47C5-8316-92CA0B745A21.jpeg

Last edited:
It was difficult to slide the winch in under that grille reinforcement. If you are able to, get all the bolts holding the plate to the side brackets in loosely, along with the winch and then slide the whole thing on. It will be heavy. I put each bracket on with all the bolts in but loose, and now that the winch is in I'm gonna make sure it's straight then tighten up everything.

To those who have installed the ASFIR plate, how is it working now that it's been in place for a little while? Would you recommend order this or wait for Trail Tailor to make another batch? Install is on a 2003 LX470. Winch is a Warn VR12.

To those who have installed the ASFIR plate, how is it working now that it's been in place for a little while? Would you recommend order this or wait for Trail Tailor to make another batch? Install is on a 2003 LX470. Winch is a Warn VR12.
I just used it 2 weekends ago. Seemed to hold up, granted I wasn’t doing terribly heavy pulls. No complaints

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom