Hidden kill switch ideas (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its funny how where you live changes the way you feel about car security. Around here people leave cars unlocked, sometimes even keys in the cars for those that are worth more if it gets stolen... I'd never even feel the need to put a hidden switch in a car around here. Well now that I said that there will probably be a new thread about my cruiser getting stolen tomorrow. :doh:

It's all about population. There's a few more people around the big city than in oh say, Queeche :D

just pull the rotor out of the dizzy, thats what my old man used to do in his 40 back in the day.

I usually leave my keys in the center console.:eek: People really steal these things?

So how do you use the cig lighter as a kill switch?

Ign lead to one side of the lighter. and a lead from the lighter back to the coil. When it is pushed in you get 12v. When it is out you get nothing.:grinpimp: You can break any low amperage system that way.

Switch in a locked Tuffy console seems the way to go. I know this isn't the diesel section but how do you have a kill switch for a diesel? If they can get it turned over then the thing is running. I guess a lock on the transmission would keep them from shifting.

They can be difficult especially the older types as they only one or none electrical wiring on the engine.
There is a range of things you can do ,none are foolproof and some are only a hindrance to diesel thief.
Compined ,they can tkae so long to sort out,the thiek goes elsewhere.

You can have some kind of immobilser on the fuel cut solenoid
Hidden solenoid valve switches in the fuel lines.
Locked and covered battery terminals
Removable plugs that fit like a key in to the battery cables.

Some of my ideas are to lock the t/case in neutral,not quite sure how to do it.
Somehow lock the clutch and brake pedals together so they can not be depressed.
Lock the handbrake.

I also got told by someone involved in car security who said that the thieves often watched their victims leave the car.
Lifting the hood and removing things give them a clue where to start looking for missing bits

my kill switch is part of my alarm system. it was pricey but totally worth it. and the remote start comes in handy on those chilly winter mornings :cool:

I have an un-marked rocker switch, for switching between lp and gas, the middle of the toggle is no fuel, I just leave it there.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but.....

I've been thinking about a kill/fuel shut off switch for a little while now (esp after the stolen thread). But lately I've been getting a lot of folks oggling my 60. yesterday when I drove my wife over to the indy shop that works on our Volvos, the new owner (whom I had never previously seen) of the shop went ga ga over my rig. Asking me if I knew how much I could get for it on ebay, what I paid for it, etc... He kept looking at it and talking about it after we went inside to pay for the work done on my wife's car. Now, on the one hand, it was cool that he appreciated a nice rig. But I have to admit that it made me a little uneasy and made me think more seriously of better alarms and kill systems. So far I'm liking the locked Tuffy set up suggestion.

Getting to work on it asap.

William

I've been thinking about a kill/fuel shut off switch for a little while now (esp after the stolen thread). But lately I've been getting a lot of folks oggling my 60. yesterday when I drove my wife over to the indy shop that works on our Volvos, the new owner (whom I had never previously seen) of the shop went ga ga over my rig. Asking me if I knew how much I could get for it on ebay, what I paid for it, etc... He kept looking at it and talking about it after we went inside to pay for the work done on my wife's car. Now, on the one hand, it was cool that he appreciated a nice rig. But I have to admit that it made me a little uneasy and made me think more seriously of better alarms and kill systems. So far I'm liking the locked Tuffy set up suggestion.

William

I get it all the time and I have the same exact feelings. I'm just glad Im not alone

Getting to work on it asap.

William

It'd be great if someone that did this with a Tuffy Console could do a write up on it for those of us that may need a little help.:cheers:

So, I do quite a few kill switches, every single one of my cars in the past 15 years have been switched.

One of my favorite things to do is fuel pump relays and ignition coil, the car will crank and crank but won't ever fire.

A common one I've done for friends is to place a switch (usually I had to make a bracket) that is a two position push button type under the boot for the 4speed (or whatever car) so it's TOTALLY invisible.

One of the more involved ones but the most fun I've done was take a mercury positional switch used in some military ordinance and embedded it into the sun visor so to start/run the car the visor had to be moved to a certain position. Easy for this car as it would only have a driver in it and we installed the switch in the passenger side visor.

Just some ideas. I like fully hidden ones like in the boot most.

great idea!

BUT....

if you do that and its a 4 speed you can crank it and crank it rightup onto a trailor, and away it goes. I think the ignition and starter both need to be killed to be effective at all. so maybe something along those lines hidden there. i sure wouldnt think to be pushing on the shifter boot trying to find anything.

also think that many vehicle stolen are taken by trailor or a tow truck. i mean how many time have you called the police cause you seen someone's car being taken? prolly not many and if you asked what was up and the driver and his generic uniform and a truck with a name and number on it said it was a repo you prolly wouldnt question it much unless you knew the person. and would you even try and call the number? prolly not.

but anything helps more than nothing.

oh and for thos of you with HEI ignition i could get past it in under 10 seconds (literally) and have you vehicle running no problem. wouldnt even have to cut anything at all.

This all sounds simple, however I am dumb. Can anyone give me specific, direct instructions as to setting something up on an fj60?

Thanks,
Zack

This all sounds simple, however I am dumb. Can anyone give me specific, direct instructions as to setting something up on an fj60?

Thanks,
Zack

Ign lead to one side of the lighter. and a lead from the lighter back to the coil. When it is pushed in you get 12v. When it is out you get nothing.:grinpimp: You can break any low amperage system that way.

there ya go

glove box

i've seen ppl install kill switches in glove box. john

felt and acted the same way here forever.......then one evening Connies 62 was stolen, it was locked she had keys, she was 100ft from it in the store. The theifs came to GH because........folks feel safe, leave there homes, cars etc unlocked.........thiefs are lazy....and like easy pickings.

same day but in the morning I left my 60 in the same spot........running while at the Post Office.....

now, Lojacked em all, kill switches(and I would be a fool to tell where they are)

Its funny how where you live changes the way you feel about car security. Around here people leave cars unlocked, sometimes even keys in the cars for those that are worth more if it gets stolen... I'd never even feel the need to put a hidden switch in a car around here. Well now that I said that there will probably be a new thread about my cruiser getting stolen tomorrow. :doh:

ign wire = ignition wire. This concept is to find the wire that goes from the iginition switch to the starter and cut this wire and install another switch that is either hidden or secured (in a locking center console).

what about a padlock or bolt on the emergency brake so it won't go down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom