hickey sidewinder winch install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally have some time to install my old hickey sidewinder winch, i plan on modifying the stock bumper to fit , about 1 inch of the winch will stick out of the bumper , I'll post more pictures when it's finished

IMAG0574.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

Last edited:
Man, that winch beings back memories of my "Big Oly" Bronco.

Hah, I used to see these in a old boneyard in Forks for decaying logger equipment.

They must have been the rage in the 70's/80's - long enough ago they were rotted messes in the early 90's when I was out there.

They're neat, but can you get parts?
I've not seen one in easily 20yrs, but not like I look either.
That would be my "not sure I'd build a bumper for it" -reason.

Those recovery hooks have a wicked taper on them, look like they belong on a Grave Digger or similar.

Hah, I used to see these in a old boneyard in Forks for decaying logger equipment.

They must have been the rage in the 70's/80's - long enough ago they were rotted messes in the early 90's when I was out there.

I've not seen one in easily 20yrs, but not like I look either.
That would be my "not sure I'd build a bumper for it" -reason.

Those recovery hooks have a wicked taper on them, look like they belong on a Grave Digger or similar.
there's not a lot of parts available for these winches but they're not that complicated fortunately if something on it breaks I have a metal fabricator friend with a machine shop

You can still get bearings and seals and the smaller of the two spur gears (don't know about the large one). If the worm gear shaft were to have a problem you might be in trouble.

They are a good winch to mount between the frames. 'Back in the day' most applications I saw were mounted to the rear of the vehicle. They are a powerful winch, fairly simple design. The only complaint I remember folks having was the occasional pinching of the cable on the spool (mostly operator error) which would then require partial disassembly to correct.

Pretty cool winch....all in all.

Any Early Bronco aficionado (older than 30) would recognize the names Bill Stroppe and 'Big Oly'. (Sponsored by Olympia Beer).

Stroppe Race Bronco: The Birth of "Big Oly"

I had (and still have) Early Broncos long before I had Land Cruisers. Love them both.

That's great, whats your point? :rolleyes:

I clearly recognized "Big Oly" but Bill Stroppe has been dead for over twenty years so when he said "my Big Oly" I'd like to know if he was involved with the truck somehow. My first vehicle I bought and learned to drive was the 74 LUBR that I still own.

I clearly recognized "Big Oly" but Bill Stroppe has been dead for over twenty years so when he said "my Big Oly" I'd like to know if he was involved with the truck somehow. My first vehicle I bought and learned to drive was the 74 LUBR that I still own.

^^^^ Then that would be the better way to get your answer, yes? I.E. (Were you somehow involved/affliated with the Big Oly race vehicle)?

A topical reading of your original reply seemed to imply you didn't know about it. But enough 'off topic' discussion. PM me if you wish to continue.

Back on the subject. Can't wait to see the Hickey Sidewinder behind some form of bumper.

I remember those magazine ads.:)

Damn Kevin...we are getting old...:crybaby:

Yep, at least you get to work around some of our "museum quality" body work!

^^^^ Then that would be the better way to get your answer, yes? I.E. (Were you somehow involved/affliated with the Big Oly race vehicle)?

A topical reading of your original reply seemed to imply you didn't know about it. But enough 'off topic' discussion. PM me if you wish to continue.

Back on the subject. Can't wait to see the Hickey Sidewinder behind some form of bumper.
I'm cutting and modifying the stock bumper then I'm going to repaint it to OEM Gray I should have the bumper back on within a few days I'll post pictures

I'm cutting and modifying the stock bumper then I'm going to repaint it to OEM Gray I should have the bumper back on within a few days I'll post pictures

That will be great Sea Bass, can't wait to see it. Should make a very nice and neat installation. But please don't pull your Cruiser up a tree, we already know the winch will do it. ;)

I vividly remember seeing that ad in a magazine. It was all the rage back then. Yes, we are all getting older. I was just graduating High School when that ad came out.

Hickey.jpg

Reminds me of The Gods Must Be Crazy :eek:

In 1973 my dad and i bought a 1967 Bronco to build our own copy of the "Big Oly" to try our hand at off road racing. Back then you didn't need a 20 million dollar support network to race. Little guys like us could still compete, sorry to say because of big money, those days are gone forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom