Help With the Penny Trick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Green Bean

GOLD Star
Threads
I was trying to address steering slop in our 1970 40. I came across the penny trick as discussed here: 2 penny trick - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-penny-trick.363115/page-3
This looked like a pretty easy Sunday afternoon project but I didn't get very far probably because I'm a moron. Removed the cotter pin but I'm not sure how to remove the plug to expose the spring to insert the penny(s). I tried using a large screw diver in the slot where the cotter pin goes thinking the plug would unscrew. No avail. The whole steering rod wants to twist. Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the secret to getting inside this assembly?
Thanks.

10.10.2021.Steering.jpg

Did you get it or is that last pic not yours? If still stuck, try turning the steering wheel and that should/may free it.

Did you get it or is that last pic not yours? If still stuck, try turning the steering wheel and that should/may free it.
No, I didn't get it. The last picture was from an old thread which I'm using as a roadmap. I'll try turning the wheel in just a bit. From the schematic drawing, it appears that the stop that needs to come out should be under some spring pressure so I was hoping that it would just sort of pop out on its own.
Thanks.

Use an older copper penny or a nickel instead. New pennies have a zinc core and will corrode over time.

I thought that cap and spring should pop out of the back there, maybe tap the drag link with a hammer, gently.

I thought that cap and spring should pop out of the back there, maybe tap the drag link with a hammer, gently.
Okay, finished the infamous "2 penny trick." Thank you for all of the usual great support. I really don't know what I would do without this wonderful forum. Turning the steering wheel was just the ticket to get the stopper to pop right on out. I ended up inserting 2 old pennies (one on each side of the spring). Re-assembled and tightened with impact. Took her for a test drive and things seem vastly improved. There is hardly any free play i.e., slop. All-in-all a very cheap and easy modification that seems to greatly improve drivability. Even ended up with 8 cents left over.

Penny.7!.jpg

The only pure "military" ones I've seen are the 4 door pickup land cruisers, used by the British.
Battelle Memorial Institute has a contract to build 500 for SOCOM, but I haven't seen them.

Hey Ted,

Sweet looking FJ40, thanks for sharing.

Brady

Okay, finished the infamous "2 penny trick." Thank you for all of the usual great support. I really don't know what I would do without this wonderful forum. Turning the steering wheel was just the ticket to get the stopper to pop right on out. I ended up inserting 2 old pennies (one on each side of the spring). Re-assembled and tightened with impact. Took her for a test drive and things seem vastly improved. There is hardly any free play i.e., slop. All-in-all a very cheap and easy modification that seems to greatly improve drivability. Even ended up with 8 cents left over.

View attachment 2809130
Thank you for sharing this. I am going to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom