Help with tcase rebuild kit?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just pulled my motor, tranny and tcase out of my 95 fzj80 to rebuild the motor after it blew. I want to rebuild the tcase because it was not well cared for by the first owner and I am guessing the fluid has never been changed. My question is what rebuild kit do I need, I have looked a marlin but the only thing I can find for the 80 is a gasket kit. I found a rebuild kit on tlcparts, has anybody used this kit before or where did you get yours?
Transfer Case Rebuild Kit w/V 1/1990-1997

A couple of questions first.
1. Do you have the FSM? if not, PM me.
2. Are you doing PM or RM? Changing fluid requires nothing but fluid. If there are no indications of improper transfer case function, my advice is to leave it alone. If it's not leaking, it doesn't need new seals. If you have the entire drivetrain out, and you open the transfer case, you might as well rebuild it.
3. OCD? If you have plenty of time, money and patience, by all means rebuild it; you'll feel better down the road (no pun intended)

After '94, all the 80s had a viscous coupling (info below)
Toyota Land Cruiser CDL Switch Install Review
and
Slee - Pin 7 Mod for CDL (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser)
PM @beno or @cruiserdan; you can buy a transfer case for that price.

Also on tlc there are 2 kits one with center viscous and one without. What is the diffrence?

Your '95 T case has a Viscous Coupling (VC) so order that kit. If you need to know what the VC does in our vehicles, lots of articles on this in the FAQ section.

I second @Malleus's post. Don't rebuild based on speculation. These transfer cases are brutes and usually outlast everything else.

The reason I am considering rebuilding it is because next summer I am doing the transcontinental trail and the truck was not well cared for by the previous owner(engine blew at 275k). I want everything to be good before that trip and now is the time to do ot because it is out.

If you are determined to spend the money and time you can eliminate the guess work by contacting @beno. I'm sure he can hook you up.

What exactly do you mean when you say "the engine blew"?

If you are determined to spend the money and time you can eliminate the guess work by contacting @beno. I'm sure he can hook you up.

What exactly do you mean when you say "the engine blew"?

A mis started around 274k and while waiting for the injectors to fix the problems it started to burn alot of oil so I did a compression check and all cyclinders where more than half down. I pulled the motor apart this past weekend and cyclinder 3 and 5 are scored.

While it's true that many 1fz engines have very very long lives, 275k isn't too damn bad. So why not rebuild the transmission too?

While it's true that many 1fz engines have very very long lives, 275k isn't too damn bad. So why not rebuild the transmission too?

I have thought about that. The transmission shifts and acts fine and the 80s trannys last forever and I have been told that with the cost and complexity of the rebuild it would not be worth doing it.

OK, I get your motivation for PM and RM, pre-trip. I am still unclear about the transfer case work. Unless it's exhibiting signs of malfunction, it's OK. It's likely as not going to fail after the transmission rather than before it. The transmission shifts all the time, the transfer case doesn't. The low gears are probably as good as the day they were put in.

Still, it is cheaper to overhaul (if that's what you're after) than the transmission. If it was me, I'd overhaul the transmission and transfer case, if I had the whole works out of the truck.

Again, it depends on your time, money and patience. Skill is the result of contemplative failure. (in my case, anyway)

I have thought about that. The transmission shifts and acts fine and the 80s trannys last forever and I have been told that with the cost and complexity of the rebuild it would not be worth doing it.
And that is why you can probably leave the transfer case alone. Landcruiser's were built to last and be dependable in less than optimal conditions.

If you remove just the rear extension housing and see no rust, due to water that may or may not have been left in the case, I would leave it alone.

Both of my 80 transfer cases are at 270k and operate like new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom