Help please - windshield leak destroyed wiring harnesses near ECU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey fellow cruisers I need some help. Our 2011 we bought 2 months ago from a dealer with immaculate service records would not start today. Battery was fine just seemed to be something with the computer. Had it towed to the local Toyota dealer and they have told me that the windshield seal has been leaking and a bunch of wiring harnesses are now corroded. They say the parts alone are $8200 and the install is upwards of 30 hours worth of labor. Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Is this a repair that can be done on my own? They also tell me this might not even fix it if computers have been Seems insane but this is what I’m being told.

Oh my.

Did you have the windshield replaced or was it done by a previous owner? If the installer screwed it up, they may be liable. But since you bought it two months ago I assume it was done by the previous owner. Maybe try and find out who installed it. That is, if it isn't the original glass.

Tonyp

Thanks yeah we are already down that road. Sounds like it was done in 2016 which would probably mean it is not covered for more than a year after install.

If you can get a list of the parts (preferable with numbers) that need replaced, you can always order them online and I'll give you the FSM steps needed to pull the dash and replace whatever needs replaced. It shouldn't be hard, just very time consuming.

I'm sorry for your headache, that stinks. How about your auto insurance? Would it cover this damage like a flood or other water damage?

Others have had water leaks cause electrical problems. Run some searches on that. Here's a couple threads I found. The cost on your repair is such an outlier that it seems worthwhile to get a second opinion. I like the idea @TonyP posted to get a parts list to see what's going on with those prices. Surely everything doesn't need replacing under the dash? And, I do worry about any quote that ends with the dreaded "....might not fix it.....". That's often an indiction they don't really know what's happening and are throwing parts at it. With those parts and labor costs, you need to go into this one with your eyes open and your scam alert set on high.

Electrical gremlins caused by leak.

Fog lights come on by themselves

Hey fellow cruisers I need some help. Our 2011 we bought 2 months ago from a dealer with immaculate service records would not start today. Battery was fine just seemed to be something with the computer. Had it towed to the local Toyota dealer and they have told me that the windshield seal has been leaking and a bunch of wiring harnesses are now corroded. They say the parts alone are $8200 and the install is upwards of 30 hours worth of labor. Does anyone have any experience similar to this? Is this a repair that can be done on my own? They also tell me this might not even fix it if computers have been Seems insane but this is what I’m being told.
I had electrical problems show up in a similar fashion. Turned out the sunroof drains were plugged and water was running down under the the dash. I thought that it as the windshield or maybe rodents but it wasn’t. I was advised to take it to an Auto Electric Guy who found corroded components and after he cleaned a bunch of “stuff” the troubles were gone. He found components on both sides that were shorting out. You might try it.

How about getting the dealer to take the truck back for the defective condition. That probably isn't your first choice but before you spend a fortune on a windsheild, harness(es), ECU, labor, etc... talk to a consumer right lawyer and see if there's something that can be done.

LOL! My 9 year old battery went flat 2 days ago.. figured it was simply old. Yesterday the passenger side heated seat indicator started remaining on at all times.... great. Hopefully we can remedy this with minor clean ups.

LOL! My 9 year old battery went flat 2 days ago.. figured it was simply old. Yesterday the passenger side heated seat indicator started remaining on at all times.... great. Hopefully we can remedy this with minor clean ups.
Electrical gremlin
Read my post above. That was exactly the first indicator. Later on both seat heater lights came on. It was an easy fix by the auto electric guy cleaning up the fuse box by the glove box. There turned out to be issues on both sides.u

Last edited:
Thanks all for your posts and ideas. I am going to get the parts list tomorrow. We are working with insurance to see what might be covered. In the meantime can anyone recommend a good electronics guy in Colorado front range? I’m near boulder.

Electrical gremlin
Read my post above. That was exactly the first indicator. Later on both seat heater lights came on. It was an easy fix by the auto electric guy cleaning up the fuse box by the glove box. There turned out to be issues on both sides.u

That is part of why I posted... read the link with your issue.

GDcruiser, good luck with your repairs.

There is a electric auto shop on colfax and wads that a lot of classic car guys use to restore wiring and electrical connections.

Thanks all for your posts and ideas. I am going to get the parts list tomorrow. We are working with insurance to see what might be covered. In the meantime can anyone recommend a good electronics guy in Colorado front range? I’m near boulder.

Thought of this thread when I read this: Seat Heater Crisis /A Critical Accesory

Looks like he was able to get the ECU for much less.

I think the shop I was talking about was Lakewood auto electric

Well thought I would give an update here. My 2011 has been in the shop for 3mos. They have put in 17k worth of parts and still can’t get it to start. I am going there tomorrow to get an itemized list of parts replaced. In need of some help here so if anyone has any ideas I am all ears. I am looking for some kind of land cruiser master technician. Does anyone know of such a person.

Well thought I would give an update here. My 2011 has been in the shop for 3mos. They have put in 17k worth of parts and still can’t get it to start. I am going there tomorrow to get an itemized list of parts replaced. In need of some help here so if anyone has any ideas I am all ears. I am looking for some kind of land cruiser master technician. Does anyone know of such a person.

Sorry, I hope insurance or warranty is paying. Did Carfax indicate it was owned near Houston during the Hurricane or Florida?

Sorry, I hope insurance or warranty is paying. Did Carfax indicate it was owned near Houston during the Hurricane or Florida?
By all indications and service records. The vehicle was 100% Arizona owned and driven. Bought sold serviced all at the same dealer.

Wow that is nuts.

Funny I had the same issue due to a dead battery. Seat heater lights went on randomly, radio went crazy etc. I swapped the battery and had to get a new passenger seat control unit ($800) which solved it.

Wow that is nuts.

Funny I had the same issue due to a dead battery. Seat heater lights went on randomly, radio went crazy etc. I swapped the battery and had to get a new passenger seat control unit ($800) which solved it.

A low battery destroyed a seat control module?!

Did you attempt to jump start it or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom