Electrical gremlins caused by leak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 2008 landcruiser approximately 6 months ago. Recently i have had a string of electrical issues including:
- indicator light on passenger heated seat switch remains on when the switch is in the off position.
- high parasitic current draw leading to flat battery
- B2799 error code (immobiliser fault).

It would appear that the root cause of these faults is water leaking into the wiring harnesses in the driver's and passenger's footwell. Unfortunately I am yet to find the origin of the leak but I do see drips coming from behind the dash / glove box area, so I am thinking it might be the windscreen.

I have read a lot of the discussions regarding leaks on 100 and 80 series cruisers, but would appreciate any pointers about likely sources and best way of troubleshooting on a 200.
Jim.

Sometimes the the front sunroof drains are clogged, water overflow into the headliner and sometimes run down the pillar trim. You can first check the drains. Open sunroof and pour water in the front channel. You should see the drains in each corner. If it drains fine then move on to possible windshield leak. Remove interior panels in area of leak. Run water on exterior and check inside. Hopefully you can trace the leak.

I did check the front RHS sunroof drain with no issues - at the time I thought the issue might be condensation related. Guess I still need to check the other side. Is it possible for the rear sunroof drains to cause a problem at the front of the car?

Hmmmm... I thought it was, but I am beginning to have my doubts. It is marked as follows:

Toyota
AGC Automotive
E6 43R-00001
DST-20 M314 AS1
A001686 10S
Lamisafe

There is some small misalignment between the plastic covers at the bottom and sides of the windscreen. Is there any way of knowing for sure whether it is original or not?

Didn't spot it while I was looking in the dark, but just noticed in the photos I took that the VIN is indeed engraved on the window. So may be original....

I know this may sound silly, but is the battery good? I had issues similar to this in another vehicle (seat heaters not coming on - but just a light blinking, etc....) that went away with a new battery....

First time I had a problem was when I got back from a week away and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery even though a local tech reckoned the old one was '70% good'.
I had heard that moisture it in the wiring harnesses could be an issue. When I took the passenger side plastic step off the entire channel underneath was full of ice. As things defrosted i found water dripping down on the connectors on both the driver and passenger side. I pulled the drivers side connectors and cleaned them up - there was some bad corrosion including one pin that was missing completely. Have been nervous about pulling any of the other connectors until I have some spare pins & repair wires handy. In particular the immobiliser fault was likely caused by moisture in the connector under the glovebox.
Might just need to wait for rain and bury myself under the dash to try to find the source...

uploadfromtaptalk1427719482713.jpg

this is the lowermost connector on the drivers side.... One pin was corroded away. Another one was so weak that if bent when I tried to clean it. Fortunately the missing pin (68?) is not critical- it is on the interior light circuit.

Check the sunroof drains. I use a piece of weed-whacker line. open the sunroof and feed it down the front and rear drains. If you're really lucky, it will come out of one of the slits in the rocker panel and you will know it is clear.

I do this once a year to make sure they are clear. A good test is to pour a small cup of water on the tray in the sunroof opening and see how quickly it comes out under the truck.

TIP: Cut the line and use a heat gun on it and it will straighten out, making feeding it down the sunroof drain much easier!

Elkaholic,
That's a great tip - to use (and straighten) the edge trimmer line. A little preventive maintenance that'll go a long way!

ColcCruiser,
Sorry to hear about your issue - what a PITA on a newer rig!

I bought a 2008 landcruiser approximately 6 months ago. Recently i have had a string of electrical issues including:
- indicator light on passenger heated seat switch remains on when the switch is in the off position.
- high parasitic current draw leading to flat battery
- B2799 error code (immobiliser fault).

It would appear that the root cause of these faults is water leaking into the wiring harnesses in the driver's and passenger's footwell. Unfortunately I am yet to find the origin of the leak but I do see drips coming from behind the dash / glove box area, so I am thinking it might be the windscreen.

I have read a lot of the discussions regarding leaks on 100 and 80 series cruisers, but would appreciate any pointers about likely sources and best way of troubleshooting on a 200.
Jim.

Hey, did you every get some of these issues resolved? I have a 2009 200 series and have the same heated seat indicator light issue. The light stays on when the switch is off. Although, unlike yours, i dont see any water leakage. Im trying to determine if its just a faulty switch or something more. Any insight is helpful. Thanks!

View attachment 1053363
this is the lowermost connector on the drivers side.... One pin was corroded away. Another one was so weak that if bent when I tried to clean it. Fortunately the missing pin (68?) is not critical- it is on the interior light circuit.

Did you get this issue resolved? I am having a similar problem with my 2011. But still can’t get it started.

I have been having the same problem for weeks now on y 2008 UZJ. In the morning It will not start, in the afternoon it starts right up. Both times the mechanic was here with the scanner, no codes pop up. However he says that the Immobilizer is right below the windshield. He says he has seen cases where the replacement of the windshield is not as perfect as the Factory sealant and condensation gets in to the immobilizer, leading to the NO starting issue, but given that the car sits in sunlight all day, its dry by the afternoon and starts right up. His recommendation is that for a few days to turn on the heater from all vents for 15-20 min to dry all condensation inside the dash and have the windshield resealed. If that does not work, they have to pull apart the entire dash, replace the Immobilizer unit and reseal the windshield.

I managed to start the car up a couple of days ago, went for a drive for about an hour with the heater on, and the next few days it has seemed to work like a charm. I know its not a perfect solution, but it has worked!

Did you check your cabin filter? When it rains hard mine gets SOAKED!

I mostly fixed this issue buy taking the cowling off and building a cover over the area where the water can drain right into the damn cabin filter if there is too much in the overflow. I checked the overflow holes and they are fine but if it rains hard they don't drain fast enough.

I had this issue every fall for the last few years but no more after building the cover.

Had the same issue not to long ago when parked facing down hill ind my driveway when it rained hard over night. Could never find out where it came from. I don’t park facing down hill any longer. It rained over an inch last night. I checked in the morning, it was dry.

jamesbe can you post a picture of what you did?

Had the same issue not to long ago when parked facing down hill ind my driveway when it rained hard over night. Could never find out where it came from. I don’t park facing down hill any longer. It rained over an inch last night. I checked in the morning, it was dry.

jamesbe can you post a picture of what you did?

Here's a picture, I literally grab the first piece of plastic in my garage was a plant holder cut it to shape and taped it up and some zip ties I believe. Seems to have solved it, I did this in 2015 actually no issues since. I belive I put something else under that piece as well but can't remember. The water runs off the glass right into the cowl and consequently right into the filter seems like a dumb design.

IMG_20151112_201124.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom