Help! I can't identify this transfer case. (Solved. Sorta) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Edit: This is a Toyota Factory Replacment case with a larger 34mm idler shaft.

I am trying to rebuild this t-case, but the rebuild kit I ordered doesn't fit, and I cannot find any markings to truly identify this case. Some people are saying it could possibly be a South American model.

It is out of a 78 FJ40. The spedo appears to be in MPH, and it has front disk brakes. The top is also removable. It is also very much a 4 speed case. The input shaft is also 16 splines.

Here are some pics.

19242.jpeg
19246.jpeg
19244.jpeg

19247.jpeg

19248.jpeg

Last edited:
19253.jpeg
19254.jpeg

19258.jpeg

What is the diameter of the idler shaft?

What date marking is on the case?

I have not been able to find a marking on the case besides asin, and the shop has not been able to find one either.

Let me get them the diameter of the shaft.

So yes, that is a non-US 34mm (1.335" = 33.909mm) 1pc t-case. It may have been used factory on some super late model 4x Series but was more commonly found as a replacement t-case from Toyota. For example if in 1995 you bought a new t-case from Toyota for your 1976 FJ40, it would have come from Toyota as complete assembly with a 34mm idler rather than the ~25mm one found in every other 1pc t-case.

There are some threads here on Mud about them and about sourcing the parts for them but a traditional rebuild kit is not going to fit.

So yes, that is a non-US 34mm (1.335" = 33.909mm) 1pc t-case. It may have been used factory on some super late model 4x Series but was more commonly found as a replacement t-case from Toyota. For example if in 1995 you bought a new t-case from Toyota for your 1976 FJ40, it would have come from Toyota as complete assembly with a 34mm idler rather than the ~25mm one found in every other 1pc t-case.

There are some threads here on Mud about them and about sourcing the parts for them but a traditional rebuild kit is not going to fit.

Do you have anything that would fit it?

Is there any chance a fj60/62 case rebuild would work? Dont some of them have a 34mm idler?

Cruiser Transfer Case Identification Bible. Hope this helps!

tcase_page1.jpg

tcase_page2.jpg

tcase_page3.jpg

tcase_page4.jpg

tcase_page5.jpg

@DangerNoodle Yes you appear to have a NON-USA case as the picture shows.....notice the 3 ribs at 11:00. It looks like it is the only case to have them.

1584551970746.png

So does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for this case?

I would try to reach out to MUD members living in S.A. to see if they have a source or maybe a local hookup. It may be a good place to start. Not sure if the Middle East had some of the same (NON-USA) options as S.A. but you could also reach out to @TeamJB

Is there any chance a fj60/62 case rebuild would work? Dont some of them have a 34mm idler?

Our FJ62 always had a 38MM idler shaft. Other markets where the FJ 62 started 11/84 would have one until 10/85 when the split transfer case changed from 34MM to 38MM. That is when our FJ60 changed as well.

From what I can tell this transfer was stock on FJ40s from 8/80-10/82 that still had the three speed. Idler shaft changed 10/80 and these were still a one piece transfer case. Looking up parts numbers is fairly easy. Locating parts from other markets is easier if you have a part number. I know the Middle East still had 40 series in the late seventies with three speeds. If that continued past 8/80 not sure but know getting small parts from the Middle East is pretty painless. I've had better luck from the Middle East than directly out of Japan.

Our FJ62 always had a 38MM idler shaft. Other markets where the FJ 62 started 11/84 would have one until 10/85 when the split transfer case changed from 34MM to 38MM. That is when our FJ60 changed as well.

From what I can tell this transfer was stock on FJ40s from 8/80-10/82 that still had the three speed. Idler shaft changed 10/80 and these were still a one piece transfer case. Looking up parts numbers is fairly easy. Locating parts from other markets is easier if you have a part number. I know the Middle East still had 40 series in the late seventies with three speeds. If that continued past 8/80 not sure but know getting small parts from the Middle East is pretty painless. I've had better luck from the Middle East than directly out of Japan.

This one had a 4 speed in it, but I'm not really sure about this cruiser at this point. I'm going to the bearing shop today to see if they have any bearings or seals that could fit.

This one had a 4 speed in it, but I'm not really sure about this cruiser at this point. I'm going to the bearing shop today to see if they have any bearings or seals that could fit.

People have been switching three and four speed transfer cases for ever. Since the 31 tooth input gear with 10 spline with on the four speed case can't see why a four speed input gear would work. Only listing I can find for the 8/80-10/82 one piece is for a three speed. Would have to think post 8/80 all transfer cases made had the 34MM idler gear and would work on both three speed 10 spline and four speed 16 spline. 8/80 four switched to 19 spline and a split transfer case in all markets. Post 8/80 no one piece cases were used with a four speed.

Good news, I was able to find all the bearings and seals that I needed at NAPA and Whisler Bearing in Colorado Springs. I just need to get the gaskets and needle bearings from someone.

Good news, I was able to find all the bearings and seals that I needed at NAPA and Whisler Bearing in Colorado Springs. I just need to get the gaskets and needle bearings from someone.
Do you know the needle bearing numbers? Do you have the old ones? I work with a large bearing manufacturer/suppler.

Do you know the needle bearing numbers? Do you have the old ones? I work with a large bearing manufacturer/suppler.

They have no numbers. They are 34mm inner diameter, 44mm outer diameter, by 39.5mm long. 16 rollers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom