Help fitting ambulance doors. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EStein

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys. Had a little panic today after I started screwing and welding body pieces together. I fit the doors a few weeks ago and everything looked pretty good. I’ve got most of the inerds … bed floor, wheel wells, in position and ready to start welding. Decided to put the doors on one more time before the point of no return and they are a lot tighter than before. I have a couple questions.

1. It dawned on me that I didn’t have the weather seal in between the hardtop and the body. I need about 1/8+ in height to clear the striker. Do you think I can achieve that with the weatherstripping? I forgot what that bit was like and it’s been a while since I tore it out. I haven’t drilled for the lower hinges yet so I’m hoping the weatherstripping will raise the top a little giving me the clearance I need.

2. I can’t remember and it doesn’t look like in the photos but does the hinge on the right lower ambulance door have a spacer? The door fits perfectly inset but to get the hinge to set right it looks like it needs almost a quarter inch spacer? I’ve looked at photos and I don’t remember one. Hoping I’m just an idiot and missing some thing… Any thoughts?

Thanks.

88BBE6C6-32ED-4093-9188-0388480FAB9C.jpeg
1B13DD79-9833-4865-A213-9F68D9F2878E.jpeg
9EC6C606-809E-4606-B64C-3A99B60FF7D4.jpeg
D4060556-1E4E-4DA7-B317-A733532179A9.jpeg

I just finished putting my hardtop and doors on last night. The WS that goes between the hardtop and tub is pretty thick and makes for a tight fit. I would think the top would sit a tad higher once you have the WS installed and you might get the 1/8" you are looking for. Like mentioned above swap the hinges from side to side and see it that works. There is definitely not a 1/4" spacer to fill that gap. I do put some thin rubber between all the hinges and the body and the hardtop for protection.

If I recall correctly, sometimes I don‘t. The hinges have a top set and a bottom set. I found out the hard way and ran into a similar situation. Quick search on the forum, and swapped them back into their respective rightful place(s). Even moving them from one side to the other can have an undesired result.

That right lower looks like it’s bent where that crease in the unpainted area is. Might try clamping in a vise and pound it into submission, or swap it with the other side and see if that one closes the gap.
Swapping with the other side! Duh. That’s a great idea. See… Sometimes when you overthink something you miss the obvious. It does look a little bit bent when comparing with the other one. Thanks!

Last edited:
That right lower looks like it’s bent where that crease in the unpainted area is. Might try clamping in a vise and pound it into submission, or swap it with the other side and see if that one closes the gap.
This ...

I just finished putting my hardtop and doors on last night. The WS that goes between the hardtop and tub is pretty thick and makes for a tight fit. I would think the top would sit a tad higher once you have the WS installed and you might get the 1/8" you are looking for. Like mentioned above swap the hinges from side to side and see it that works. There is definitely not a 1/4" spacer to fill that gap. I do put some thin rubber between all the hinges and the body and the hardtop for protection.
OK thanks. That’s good to know. I wasn’t sure how thick it was.

Well let’s just pretend I never posted about the hinge. back to work. House to myself tonight so trying to stay in my garage as long as I can.
DAEA60C4-B957-4DD7-A2A2-C065AF3E9A5D.jpeg

If I recall correctly, sometimes I don‘t. The hinges have a top set and a bottom set. I found out the hard way and ran into a similar situation. Quick search on the forum, and swapped them back into their respective rightful place(s). Even moving them from one side to the other can have an undesired result.
Yeah thanks I wasn’t sure if the right and left was the same or not. Somehow removing the hinge wasn’t something my brain could comprehend. Getting this body back together has been a challenge… I dream about it! haha.

So funny, I was at the same stage as you a few years back and ran into the same problem. I even placed my hinges on my welder to take a pic. Haha.

Yeah, you have the same problem I did, and it was easy to hammer them flat. They get bent from over extension (doors being thrown open and hitting their limit).

So funny, I was at the same stage as you a few years back and ran into the same problem. I even placed my hinges on my welder to take a pic. Haha.

Yeah, you have the same problem I did, and it was easy to hammer them flat. They get bent from over extension (doors being thrown open and hitting their limit).

Yeah funny I didn’t even realize that it was bent. was so overwhelmed with everything else I couldn’t see something so simple. Story of my life and it gets worse with age.

I know the top and bottom hinges are different, but are they actually lefts and rights as well (they have different part numbers)? How can you tell the difference?

The pins on the upper hinges have to be on the same plane as rhe hinge below it. If not doors will not open smooth. With that in mind should be easier to tell which is which.

I know the top and bottom hinges are different, but are they actually lefts and rights as well (they have different part numbers)? How can you tell the difference?
Yes they are different. Ambulance door not a flat...

Presentation1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom