Help! Cut through water line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found some deep rust on my passenger floor board that had made its way through so I decided to cut the small section out and grind the rest of the surface rust down and coat it with some Crc until I could have a new piece welded in. Of course accidentally while I was cutting I nicked the metal water line that is under the passenger floorboard near the door which is spewing coolant. Can someone please help me figure out where to find this line and how to replace it ? Can’t believe I did it. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I think that is the rear heater line. Look up rear heater bypass. You’ll do that at the firewall at the rear of the motor. Good luck! You should do the PHH if you haven’t done that yet at the same
Time

Yep rear heater probably a blessing in Disguise.
Line looks like it’s in pretty bad shape better to deal with it now then out on the trail.
If you don’t use the rear heater now’s the time to delete it 😉

Line looks like it’s in pretty bad shape better to deal with it now then out on the trail.
Should I remove the lines if I don’t use the rear heater? Trying to figure this out lol

Should I remove the lines if I don’t use the rear heater? Trying to figure this out lol
Search is your friend

Found some deep rust on my passenger floor board that had made its way through so I decided to cut the small section out and grind the rest of the surface rust down and coat it with some Crc until I could have a new piece welded in. Of course accidentally while I was cutting I nicked the metal water line that is under the passenger floorboard near the door which is spewing coolant. Can someone please help me figure out where to find this line and how to replace it ? Can’t believe I did it. Thanks.
View attachment 3280549View attachment 3280550
You can buy new lower rear heater lines from Toyota they are "easy" to replace. The uppers must have the transmission out.

Just disconnect at the firewall leave the lines there 😎

Just disconnect at the firewall leave the lines there 😎
I guess that’s less to worry about when it comes to leaking! Might do that. Do I disconnect in one place or is there 2? I don’t need a rear heater anyway

I guess that’s less to worry about when it comes to leaking! Might do that. Do I disconnect in one place or is there 2? I don’t need a rear heater anyway
You can install a bypass Jose on top and just isolate that completely but still have a front heater.

Look in the rear heater bypass threads.

You can install a bypass Jose on top and just isolate that completely but still have a front heater.

Look in the rear heater bypass threads.
Thank you. Thoughts on patching the cut by cutting it out and putting some good rubber hose and a clamp on each side to continue using the rear heater?

👍. Might go ahead and get rid of mine. Can’t decide. Do you use yours?

👍. Might go ahead and get rid of mine. Can’t decide. Do you use yours?
It's long gone, I keep a First Aid kit where it used to reside.

Thank you. Thoughts on patching the cut by cutting it out and putting some good rubber hose and a clamp on each side to continue using the rear heater?
Yes, 1/2" hose will do it.

Yes, 1/2" hose will do it.
Thank you sir. Been reading some threads like you said lol. I may in the future replace them all with rubber hose. Seems like a very tedious job. Mine are slightly corroded. Not looking to be on the side of the road with a leak and no coolant.

Thank you sir. Been reading some threads like you said lol. I may in the future replace them all with rubber hose. Seems like a very tedious job. Mine are slightly corroded. Not looking to be on the side of the road with a leak and no coolant.
Like I said, you can replace the lowers without removing the exhaust. Remove a couple heat shields, and you can get to it. It took me about two hours for the lower hoses and hard lines. Then I bypassed the upper hard lines because they are too rusty. I used hose for that because I couldn't get the old ones out in one piece without dropping the transmission. Believe me, I tried.

Like I said, you can replace the lowers without removing the exhaust. Remove a couple heat shields, and you can get to it. It took me about two hours for the lower hoses and hard lines. Then I bypassed the upper hard lines because they are too rusty. I used hose for that because I couldn't get the old ones out in one piece without dropping the transmission. Believe me, I tried.
You are the man! I appreciate all of your help. I’m learning as I go. (Just curious) where do the lowers begin and where do they end. I want to have plan before I tackle it. Not trying to be a burden lol.

You are the man! I appreciate all of your help. I’m learning as I go. (Just curious) where do the lowers begin and where do they end. I want to have plan before I tackle it. Not trying to be a burden lol.
On the right side of the transmission. Horizontally.

FWIW, I tried to replace my lower tubes and couldn't remove the heat shields to get at them. And my truck has been in Charlotte since it was new.

I'd highly recommend bypassing the rear heater at the firewall under the heater valve, before you start this job. That way, if you can't get at the tubing, you can still drive the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom