"HELP" 2003 100 Totaled by deer.... Fight with insurance over value, they want me to bring an appraiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So i finally was able to get in an LC finally. Less than two months into ownership I hit a deer and now they deem it totalled.

Been going back and forth with USAA insurance. Originally wanted to give me 11,800 for it and now we are at right below 13000.
I just put in the money for the timing belt and other items, everything worked, nice interior, and most of all... NO rust, it's been a texas and new mexico truck.

234,000 miles , new tires, clean inside and out, the only thing missing was the covers for the roof rack (which were sitting in the mail box, when i got home).
IMG_9787.JPG

The insurance company's appraiser company is giving me hard time and they are listing the wrong price for a local truck that sold for 3k more than what they said it did and they then re showing truck all the way in florida that is abused and has hideous poorly done blue paint job.

Since I don't agree with the appraisal, I'm forced to invoke an appraisal clause per my policy.

“If USAA and you do not agree on the amount of loss, either may demand an appraisal. In this event, each party will select a competent appraiser. The two appraisers will select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the actual cash value and the amount of loss. If they fail to agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision agreed to by any two will be binding. Each party will pay its chosen appraiser and share the expenses of the umpire equally. Neither we nor you waive any rights under this policy by agreeing to an appraisal."

Can i be my own appraiser? How can i find a decent one that is not going to be a lame duck....
or is this even worth it.... I would like 14,500 - 15k for the truck. i think that's fair and market value.
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

So just spit-balling here but if you are just below $13k and want to be at $15k, how much is your time worth for fighting for the additional $2k?

If you tell them what you will specifically settle for and it's relatively close to what they agreed already on, they may accept that new value to avoid paying for the appraiser as well. Unfortunately, they probably can pay much less than you for the appraiser and maybe even have one on retainer.
And, no, I doubt they would agree to have you serve as the appraiser. Even if you were licensed and all that, it would still be a major conflict of interest.
You could also maybe work out a deal where you agree on a lower value for the vehicle totallization reimbursement but they allow you to buy it back for less separately, then you can fix it or sell it, maybe that might be more agreeable for them for administrative reasons.
Before you decide anything, figure out what it would cost to pay for an appraiser, especially one easy to convince that you're right...

Btw, what I did way back when was to compile a number of very high asking price ads to make my case, that helped a lot. They may be bluffing and trying to steamroll you over. If it looks like you are prepared and ready to fight they may be more conciliatory.

Compile a list of similar or better 100s for sale currently or recently sold on bring a trailer or cars and bids. Lay out data showing why their value is out of line. You won't get them to credit you for maintenance items, but you will move the needle if you show their valuation is just out of touch with today. I don't think you can buy a clean 2003 for $14k.

Compile a list of similar or better 100s for sale currently or recently sold on bring a trailer or cars and bids. Lay out data showing why their value is out of line. You won't get them to credit you for maintenance items, but you will move the needle if you show their valuation is just out of touch with today. I don't think you can buy a clean 2003 for $14k.
I’ve done this to a degree. That’s why I’ve increased it marginally.

I've always felt USAA was too expensive, but people are always happy with the service.

Seek a public auto appraiser. They'll be able to maximize your claim. Be warned, most insurance appraisers loathe dealing with public appraisers.

I added a 20% over rider on my policy with USAA. It's not much, but they add 20% to the value if it's totaled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom