Heater T Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my heater T fittings the other day, however as I was replacing the first one, a small piece of the end on one of the T's broke, and I'm not sure if it went down another pipe. I tipped out as much fluid as I can to "wash it out" If it happened to have gotten in my system, 1- what's the worst that could happen, and 2- what should/could I do to remedy before the worst happens. It's been a couple of days and nothing seems out of the ordinary

I replaced my heater T fittings the other day, however as I was replacing the first one, a small piece of the end on one of the T's broke, and I'm not sure if it went down another pipe. I tipped out as much fluid as I can to "wash it out" If it happened to have gotten in my system, 1- what's the worst that could happen, and 2- what should/could I do to remedy before the worst happens. It's been a couple of days and nothing seems out of the ordinary

Depends on how large the piece was and in which circuit it went (supply or return). Its 'possible' for a large piece of plastic to obstruct/impede the flow of coolant in the supply line to your heater core, but the result would at worst be less heating capacity. IF it went into the return line (back to the engine), give it no further thought, its highly unlikely to cause an issue there.

If you are pretty sure it was a small piece (pencil eraser size), then in either scenario, forget about it....and then forget about it some more, no harm. :)

Last edited:
Haha ok thanks for the confirmation. It would've gone down either pipe that has a pink arrow on it. Where do both of those go? Should I flush anything or simply forget about it and forget about it more? And the size of the chunk is a smaller piece of what I have circled

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 11.15.25 AM.png

Cooling system hostory 1 (1).JPG

FWIW: Sorry this does help your current issue, but in the future. Using vise grips with nail head to pull out pieces is helpful.

I like using factory plastic Tees & clamps. This one had swollen heater hoses, needing to be replaced. So as temporary repair with over-sized tees & screw clamps were used.
009.JPG

Meh, return lines, you're golden.

I replaced my heater t's today. They were weeping pretty badly, so I knew it was time. 2002 with 173k miles and they looked to be original given their condition upon removal. Tried to get as many of the broken pieces out but inevitably lost a few down the line. Hope it doesn't cause an issue later on. Replaced with brass heater fittings from 4Seasons part #84543.
DSC04243.JPG
DSC04244.JPG
DSC04246.JPG
DSC04248.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom