Heater Core (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
getting ready to blow up my dash to dig out the heater core. Its a RHD, hj61. Now I have a ready to go heater from a LHD, 60. Are these parts compatible, or am I in for some more grief( doing this job is grief enough!)
Thanks so much!

The core is not handed, the pipes are. Take care with the clips that hold the heater pipe to the core - they are not replaceable. You'll want new OEM O-rings to have the best chance of no leaks at the pipe joints.

I've got detailed pictures in a thread here: Builds - Last of the BJs: 1989 GEN BJ60 restoration, 15B-T swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/last-of-the-bjs-1989-gen-bj60-restoration-15b-t-swap.1297034/page-5#post-14791926
Wow, that is beautiful work, man. Incredible.

The core is not handed, the pipes are. Take care with the clips that hold the heater pipe to the core - they are not replaceable. You'll want new OEM O-rings to have the best chance of no leaks at the pipe joints.

I've got detailed pictures in a thread here: Builds - Last of the BJs: 1989 GEN BJ60 restoration, 15B-T swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/last-of-the-bjs-1989-gen-bj60-restoration-15b-t-swap.1297034/page-5#post-14791926
Eurasia, much obliged. I was thinking of having my rad guy solder
The pipes for a permanent deal? Gonna brew a coffee and soak in your thread for bit

The clips work. No need to delete them. It makes assembly and disassembly a bit easier. I did that once,
and next time went back to the clips. There 'might' be a difference slightly in core thickness, not much but you
might have to add a bit of foam around to fit. You don't want air sneaking around the core,

Eurasia, much obliged. I was thinking of having my rad guy solder
The pipes for a permanent deal? Gonna brew a coffee and soak in your thread for bit

I was considering that as a last resort - in case the pipes were too rough to seal on O-rings. I can barely solder two wires together so can't offer any technical advice on soldering, but I would stick to the method that Toyota has to seal pipe to heater core.

The clips work. No need to delete them. It makes assembly and disassembly a bit easier. I did that once,
and next time went back to the clips. There 'might' be a difference slightly in core thickness, not much but you
might have to add a bit of foam around to fit. You don't want air sneaking around the core,
Thanks cruiser pilot, I think you guys have talked me into sticking to the yota way.

I was considering that as a last resort - in case the pipes were too rough to seal on O-rings. I can barely solder two wires together so can't offer any technical advice on soldering, but I would stick to the method that Toyota has to seal pipe to heater core.
Thanks, yea Ill see how good a shape the pipes are after I get em out and clean em. A good thing is a set of clips came with the core i bought, so now if I break one or lose one, which I will....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom