Heat riser Block off plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting some conflicting Information. I bought a heat rise block off plate from SOR. I wasn't sure if it was still a 2 gasket install. SOR said its just one. I read here on MUD @Cruiserkurt installs with both gaskets top and bottom. I understand that they is the way it is from the factory the metal is sandwiched top and bottom. Please clear up the confusion. I really only want to do this once.

I'm getting some conflicting Information. I bought a heat rise block off plate from SOR. I wasn't sure if it was still a 2 gasket install. SOR said its just one. I read here on MUD @Cruiserkurt installs with both gaskets top and bottom. I understand that they is the way it is from the factory the metal is sandwiched top and bottom. Please clear up the confusion. I really only want to do this once.
I purchased my heat riser block off plate for my FJ60 from Cruiser Outfitters I used two gaskets, like you said block off plate sandwiched between gaskets. Not a problem since install 5 months ago.

I purchased my heat riser block off plate for my FJ60 from Cruiser Outfitters I used two gaskets, like you said block off plate sandwiched between gaskets. Not a problem since install 5 months ago.
Thank you! can I ask what gaskets you used?

Person at SOR said there could be fitment issue. Obviously not in you're case?

You only need one gasket, the second gasket between plate and intake is in case the Alum intake cracks cuz then you'll get an intake leak at that spot. But the main reason for installing that plate is to prevent the Intake from cracking, so ...

It was over 10 years ago, now, but I do remember there being some kind of fitment issue with the two aftermarket gaskets.

If you're worried, use thin smear of the the HIGH temp red Permatex. The copper stuff.

Did you cut or remove or lock open the exhaust flap?

You only need one gasket, the second gasket between plate and intake is in case the Alum intake cracks cuz then you'll get an intake leak at that spot. But the main reason for installing that plate is to prevent the Intake from cracking, so ...

It was over 10 years ago, now, but I do remember there being some kind of fitment issue with the two aftermarket gaskets.

If you're worried, use thin smear of the the HIGH temp red Permatex. The copper stuff.

Did you cut or remove or lock open the exhaust flap?
I was going to trim the tops it will not hit the plate. So just one gasket between the plate and exhaust side? I have the High temp red gasket smear. Let the confusion continue! lol

So with both gaskets and the plate its. about 9.5mm. with one gasket it's about 5.5mm. With that amount cause a fitment issue? And where is the fitment issue?

Person at SOR said there could be fitment issue. Obviously not in you're case?
My intake has a crack in it so I used the two gaskets. The two gaskets I got from Cruiser Outfitters worked perfect. It all bolted back together no fit issues and no issues getting my manifolds back on block.

So with both gaskets and the plate its. about 9.5mm. with one gasket it's about 5.5mm. With that amount cause a fitment issue? And where is the fitment issue?
This why I used two gaskets I found this old thread.

I used a remflex gasket between the exhaust manifold and the block off plate. And no gasket between the block off plate and intake. The exhaust is about preventing a leak. There is no leak for the intake.

What is the hurt in using both on each side? Anything. From what I understand you can't get a vacuum leak from the intake Right?

What is the hurt in using both on each side? Anything. From what I understand you can't get a vacuum leak from the intake Right?
The risk is adding too much space between the intake and exhaust manifolds and which could result in issues when bolting the assembly to the head. The only time you need a gasket on top is if your intake manifold is already cracked in that area. However I think it would be worth trying to clean the crack area and trying to seal the crack...whether welding is an option or an aluminum epoxy or JB weld etc...not sure.

I have Reflex gaskets if that helps anyone.
When I was putting the gaskets and heat riser block off plate on, I also had a remflex gasket because I had bought the kit from remflex to fix all my exhaust leaks and it was in there. If I remember correctly the two gaskets and block off plate that I purchased from Cruiser Outfitters were very similar thickness all together as the one remflex and block off plate. As I said before everything fit together perfectly and installation back onto head zero issues. But I had the cracked intake so doing this was necessary for my to fixed any vacuum leak the crack was causing.

I guess I wil
Manifold.gif
l try the 2 then if there is a fitment issue I can take the one out. Stock doesn't it come with two gaskets and some kind of metal air defuser in it?

I would think only using one gasket and the block off plate would alter how the bolt holes (half-holes) of the two manifolds align. The original setup was two gaskets and the heat riser deflector sandwiched between the gaskets. It seems like you'd want to have that same amount of space between the manifolds to get the half-holes to align properly.

I would think only using one gasket and the block off plate would alter how the bolt holes (half-holes) of the two manifolds align. The original setup was two gaskets and the heat riser deflector sandwiched between the gaskets. It seems like you'd want to have that same amount of space between the manifolds to get the half-holes to align properly.
I will have to see the difference if the block off plate and the deflector. I wouldn't think much?

I will have to see the difference if the block off plate and the deflector. I wouldn't think much?
Yeah, I bet they're awful close. Closer than the difference between gasket or no-gasket certainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom