Headed south to Florida 80 & Sunshine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm headed south, tired of Maine and cold weather.

I'm leaving on Saturday, towing a small uhaul trailer with all my belongings.

Any suggestions or things I should be aware of towing the trailer other than it's going to be slow on the hills?

Just the obvious. Check fluids, brakes, nuts, etc. Weight distribution on how you load the uhaul can help a lot as well.

Its slower but more importantly takes a lot longer to stop. Leave some room and plan ahead

Print off the emergency vehicle guide for breakdowns in FAQ

Take extra fluids and pay attention on the drive. Youll be in tune with the 80 so keep an ear out for any differences and an eye for puddles during stops

Most of all take some time to enjoy the journey. Check into some of the local clubhouses for suggestions of good eats and activities or help along the way.

Its slower but more importantly takes a lot longer to stop. Leave some room and plan ahead

Print off the emergency vehicle guide for breakdowns in FAQ

Take extra fluids and pay attention on the drive. Youll be in tune with the 80 so keep an ear out for any differences and an eye for puddles during stops

Most of all take some time to enjoy the journey. Check into some of the local clubhouses for suggestions of good eats and activities or help along the way.

I was thinking of doing some lite wheeling in West Virginia, Virginia, or the Carolinas. I am taking 5 days to make the trip so I hope to enjoy things along the way.

Spread me on a sandwich, because I'm jelly.

At least once you get just a bit south into Georgia, you won't have to worry about hills anymore!!

Awesome!! Enjoy your trip!!

We just came down to the Ft. Walton Beach area from Northern Michigan. Me, wife and two girls. We towed a u-haul also, since we'll be here for a few months. You'll be fine, enjoy it. Smart move taking the extra days.

It's much warmer :)

There was a cool video the other day about weight distribution in a trailer. It was one of the scariest things I've ever seen. Basically, you want the tail to be light. More weight towards the front.

Florida sucks. :cheers:

This one?

We posted that on the company facebook (we build trailers and trailer accessories) and got a lot of responses, it's pretty crazy how few people know how to load a trailer properly. And they're all on the road with you and I; comforting!

I have a great deal of love for my native home, Florida, but there's a good reason we left. Gainesville is one of the better cities, but crime is going to be a huge shock to someone moving there from Maine. Florida is boiling hot, absolutely crawling with all sorts of very fascinating and very hungry bugs, and absolutely rife with crime. Went to school in Tampa, had a gun stuck in my face no less than six times. It really is just too crowded, and when the economy tanks, the poverty and the heat make people downright violent. UF is a great school though, and DEFINITELY check out Payne's Prairie right outside of town. They have bison. Actual, big furry bison. In Florida!

A couple quick primers for you:

1) "Do you have a cigarette" and "can I use your phone" are both code words for "look down so I can bash your head in and steal your s***". Happened twice before I learned my lesson.
2) "Come over here and help me with XYZ" from a young woman = "Come over here where others can't see my boyfriend attack you". Happened to a few friends.
3) People asking for money, upon being informed that you have none, will often demand you go to the ATM. Needless to say, that's not a good choice, and they will rob you.
4) YOU NEED UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE. 25% of the state's drivers are uninsured.
5) Watch your waiter swipe your card. Florida has more identity theft than anywhere else in the US. Saw the waiter skim my card twice.
6) A s***ty car in front of you that suddenly stops is trying to get you to rear end them on purpose. They typically have a friend in another car in another lane that screams at you first, so you look over. Then the one in front of you slams on the brakes, then they litigate. Had people try this four times.

7) If there is fresh water, there is an alligator in it. Also, water moccasins are not afraid of you.
8) Lightning is no joke, go inside when it storms.
9) The quickest way to get bitten by a snake is to try to kill it. Let them be.

Bear in mind that this is coming from me, someone who loves Florida. This is something I'd tell anyone who moved to Florida. There's just way, way too many people there now.

But best of luck with your new home.

I have a great deal of love for my native home, Florida, but there's a good reason we left. Gainesville is one of the better cities, but crime is going to be a huge shock to someone moving there from Maine. Florida is boiling hot, absolutely crawling with all sorts of very fascinating and very hungry bugs, and absolutely rife with crime. Went to school in Tampa, had a gun stuck in my face no less than six times. It really is just too crowded, and when the economy tanks, the poverty and the heat make people downright violent. UF is a great school though, and DEFINITELY check out Payne's Prairie right outside of town. They have bison. Actual, big furry bison. In Florida!

A couple quick primers for you:

1) "Do you have a cigarette" and "can I use your phone" are both code words for "look down so I can bash your head in and steal your s***". Happened twice before I learned my lesson.
2) "Come over here and help me with XYZ" from a young woman = "Come over here where others can't see my boyfriend attack you". Happened to a few friends.
3) People asking for money, upon being informed that you have none, will often demand you go to the ATM. Needless to say, that's not a good choice, and they will rob you.
4) YOU NEED UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE. 25% of the state's drivers are uninsured.
5) Watch your waiter swipe your card. Florida has more identity theft than anywhere else in the US. Saw the waiter skim my card twice.
6) A s***ty car in front of you that suddenly stops is trying to get you to rear end them on purpose. They typically have a friend in another car in another lane that screams at you first, so you look over. Then the one in front of you slams on the brakes, then they litigate. Had people try this four times.

7) If there is fresh water, there is an alligator in it. Also, water moccasins are not afraid of you.
8) Lightning is no joke, go inside when it storms.
9) The quickest way to get bitten by a snake is to try to kill it. Let them be.

Bear in mind that this is coming from me, someone who loves Florida. This is something I'd tell anyone who moved to Florida. There's just way, way too many people there now.

But best of luck with your new home.

Lol.... I agree! Our youngest daughter is a Oceanographer, and this past summer she went to Florida to do some studies for 2-3 months. She has always wanted to move there, but now, after being there all summer she said she loves where we live, Wilmington NC, so much more! She lives the heat so that didn't bother her. She said the crime is INSANE! Beaches were nasty and she didn't want to go out to eat because she was scared she would be robbed! She was in Fort (port?) St Luchie (sp?)
And while I'm spreading all this bad news......URE, about the only legal wheeling spot left in NC is closed for winter!!! Lol... No snow or anything, just yearly maintenance. done every year in December January February and march!

I've only been to Florida once but luckily it was a good experience. A friend of mine lives in Gainesville where I was visiting and I second the suggestion to visit Paynes Prairie Preserve, its a really cool place. It blew me away to walk on a nature path and see alligators less than 20 feet away.

The thing that tripped me out most is how flat it was, I mean almost no topography. Makes for beautiful sunrises and sunsets though.

We posted that on the company facebook (we build trailers and trailer accessories) and got a lot of responses, it's pretty crazy how few people know how to load a trailer properly. And they're all on the road with you and I; comforting!

Blame it on a generation of men who grew up without a dad or male in the house.
I do a ton of things I learned simply from watching Pops - some I still don't know why, but the 'Ol Man rarely does anything random.

Load as far foward, and the trailer either level or slightly pitched downward to the ball/tongue - if you tow with a lifted 80 a drop hitch is really what you want for small utility trailers.

We haven't had any trouble with crime, but it depends on the city. Gainesville is one of the fastest growing city's in Florida, and people who knew it 5 years ago would not even recognize many parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom