Head work recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd throw this out there for future searches. I recently pulled my valve cover to investigate a rapid clicking noise thinking I just needed to adjust a rocker. To my horror I found a significant amount of rust on the rocker arm assembly and evidence of coolant, along with a stuck valve. I did have a slow coolant leak but hadn't thought too much of if because the coolant look good, no over heating, didn't smoke much. Drained the oil pan and found chocolate milk. Well after some searches of my own, I found several sources saying the head gasket is easily installed backwards. after a half day of dismantling the engine, sure enough suspicions were confirmed. Although the engine had been like this for awhile, luckily there was still probably less than a 100 miles on the rebuild and it sat mostly as I tinkered with other parts of the truck.

Any recommendations on a shop familiar with Toyota 2f to do head work in South Mississippi? I'd also be willing to drive to Mobile, AL, but preferably not too much further. The original shop is in Iowa (too far).

I think that's @wngrog 's neck of the woods. Maybe he knows someone.

I got a reply from a shop in Pascagoula and they quoted me $750... I'm hoping they were thinking the head still needed removed because I wasn't expecting that much

Kings Inc. in Pascagoula, MS quoted me $150 to work the head plus parts and a week to do the work. If the head is no good, I only owe em $80. I was happy that the machinist knew exactly what it was from and said he’d done about 20 F motors over the years. I’m installing the head and may use a mechanic to tune and properly adjust rocker arms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom