head gaskets f 1f 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
here are 3 different head gaskets f,1f and 2f so folks can see the difference

002.JPG

Which is which?
What about the F.5?
Are we looking at the top side?

Nice comparison, but I would caution future later-style engine owners to get the 2F head gasket that has the copper rings around the water and oil ports if you want to avoid problems.

Which is which?
What about the F.5?
Are we looking at the top side?
us old school guys always go top to bottom if you knew your engines you would know that its the top side and i dont have a clue about the 1;5

Nice comparison, but I would caution future later-style engine owners to get the 2F head gasket that has the copper rings around the water and oil ports if you want to avoid problems.
good advice the brand and where to get them would be nice

Call me crazy but it has always been my understanding that there is no such thing as a 1F engine. I believe it goes F, F.5, 2F, 3F and 3F-E. Perhaps you have pictured head gaskets for an F, an F.5 and a 2F and just got the nomenclature wrong?

Last edited:
if you knew your engines you would know that its the top side

I've only had the head off of my F.5 which I thought had the same oiling system as the 2F. The oil to the head on my F.5 passes through the keyhole/oval shaped hole in the gasket over to the head bolt then up. This happens between cylinders 3 & 4. If the 2F oil comes up the same way then it appears I'm looking at the bottom side of the gasket.
I ask because when I put my head on I was sold the wrong gasket that didn't have that oval hole. So when I spun the oil pump with a drill I got great pressure on the gauge but no oil to the top. That's when I learned (the hard way) just how the oil flows.

HdGsk 01.jpg

F.5 Head 1.jpg

F.5 Head 2.jpg

Call me crazy but it has always been my understanding that there is no such thing as a 1F engine. I believe it goes F, F.5, 2F, 3F and 3F-E. Perhaps you have pictured head gaskets for an F, an F.5 and a 2F and just got the nomenclature wrong?

Never heard Toyota ever mention a F.5 engine. 40 series got the F135, F145, F155 and the 2F. All serial numbers atarted with FFand the start of the 2F. According to Toyota the 74 still got a F155 but with a improved oil system that now filter 100% of the oil from the pump. Unless Toyota had a time machine the change that is called the 2F oiling system is in fact a late F155 improvement.

Never heard Toyota ever mention a F.5 engine.

True. Toyota never called it the F.5. But it's a nickname commonly used here on Mud. Heck! Even Wikipedia refers to it as the F.5

Surprised no one was able to surmise Robert was referring to the F135 as the first iteration.

if you knew your engines you would know that its the top side

Ok, so I just realized that the oil galley plug will show where the oil passage way to the rocker assembly is located. I just had a look at the 2F in my 83 FJ60 and it is indeed in the same location as my F.5 (74-F) That would put the oval hole in the gasket between cylinders #3 and #4 for both engines. Therefore, looking at the 2F gasket pictured above, I believe I'm looking at the bottom of the gasket. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

@Steamer, you are correct.

Not only is Shelfboy RUDE...he is incorrect...a particularly bad combo.

True. Toyota never called it the F.5. But it's a nickname commonly used here on Mud. Heck! Even Wikipedia refers to it as the F.5

If Wikipedia was getting it's information from Toyota it would be one thing but it's not. Like everything else on the internet you have to take it with a grain of salt. Don't get me wrong I use Wikipedia just never for anything 40 series. Personally if people felt the need to give the 74 model F155 a different name it would be F1.1. But maybe should be F1.6. Believe there was a F105 in the early FJ25 before we got them in 1958. A F125 that was used in the FK. We got the F120 in our first FJ25s. During 1960 that changed to the F135. Add in the F145 and F155 giving the 74 F155 a different number (which Toyota didn't) would be the seventh version of the F engine I know.

Surprised no one was able to surmise Robert was referring to the F135 as the first iteration.

I knew what Robert was referring too. Remember when I was a little younger:rolleyes: a neighbor help me rebuild my F145. He had a shop and sourced the parts. Remember getting the engine all buttoned up and turning it over only to have antifreeze run out of my newly installed header.:bang: Needless to say I've paid very close attention to the head gasket ever since.

If Wikipedia was getting it's information from Toyota it would be one thing but it's not

Right! Wiki probably got F.5 nickname here on Mud since it's used often. (Just Kidding) Sorry, I'm not trying to be sarcastic but it's just a nickname. I didn't make it up. I got it here on Mud many years ago and have seen it used here often. Just put "F.5" in the search function here and see how often it gets used. I only used Wiki to show how common the nickname was.
There are many nicknamed references to components used here on Mud. Did Toyota name the transfer case extension housing a "Nose Cone"? But look at how many top mechanics and vendors here refer to it as such.
F.5 is just so much easier to type out rather than "The 1974 F-155 with the updated oil system".

I appreciate the engine info you posted. I wasn't aware there were that many "F"s

Cheers!

Right! Wiki probably got F.5 nickname here on Mud since it's used often. (Just Kidding) Sorry, I'm not trying to be sarcastic but it's just a nickname. I didn't make it up. I got it here on Mud many years ago and have seen it used here often. Just put "F.5" in the search function here and see how often it gets used. I only used Wiki to show how common the nickname was.
There are many nicknamed references to components used here on Mud. Did Toyota name the transfer case extension housing a "Nose Cone"? But look at how many top mechanics and vendors here refer to it as such.
F.5 is just so much easier to type out rather than "The 1974 F-155 with the updated oil system".

I appreciate the engine info you posted. I wasn't aware there were that many "F"s

Cheers!

You have to forgive me. I grew up in a time that if you asked your parents to do something with the reasoning all the other kids are doing you would hear if they jump off a bridge would you do that too. Pretty much means just cause it popular doesn't mean it's right. Personally F.5 sounds so last century. Wouldn't F version 1.6 or even 1.1 be more twenty first century?

You have to forgive me. I grew up in a time that if you asked your parents to do something with the reasoning all the other kids are doing you would hear if they jump off a bridge would you do that too. Pretty much means just cause it popular doesn't mean it's right. Personally F.5 sounds so last century. Wouldn't F version 1.6 or even 1.1 be more twenty first century?

Ha ha, I use to get that from my folks too but it didn't work.
I grew up on the west side of the bay in Atlantic City and we'd walk across the bridge to get to the beach. When my friends jumped off the bridge I was right behind them. We'd let the bridge tender who always chased us get really close then jump off.
I'm good with the 21st century.

Ha ha, I use to get that from my folks too but it didn't work.
I grew up on the west side of the bay in Atlantic City and we'd walk across the bridge to get to the beach. When my friends jumped off the bridge I was right behind them. We'd let the bridge tender who always chased us get really close then jump off.
I'm good with the 21st century.

Always thought jumping off a cliff would have made more sense. Where I grew as a young kid at a age that I still listened to my folks the only bridges in the area ran over a river polluted from all the paper mills in the area and you wouldn't want to jump off them for that reason not height.

:cheers:

@Steamer, you are correct.

Not only is Shelfboy RUDE...he is incorrect...a particularly bad combo.

7687"]@Steamer, you are correct.

Not only is Shelfboy RUDE...he is incorrect...a particularly bad combo.[/QUOTE]
semper fi

not sure what i said, at my age you loose censorship so from now on i will leave any posting to the experts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom