Builds HDJ77 Build for Midwest Overlanding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also went ahead and hooked it up to some batteries, and a can of diesel.

After making sure that it was building good oil pressure, I turned on the fuel. After priming the system and a couple of cranks it fired right up, and had a nice smooth idle.

The engine compartment is empty again:
IMG_20180310_145047.jpg

Nice, how does it sound without a muffler?

Is that turbo flange store bought or homemade?
What kind of tig welder are you using? I wish I had more time and opportunities to improve my skills.
How many changes to engine bay plumbing was necessary due to the longer 1hd? AC lines, PS lines all usable from the 1PZ?

Nice, how does it sound without a muffler?
It is a bit loud, but not too bad.
You can really hear the turbo spool, which is nice.

There is just a little bit too much drone at speed which will encourage me to put a muffler in.

Thats why I ask, I have mine ran to the back with a muffler and its borderline too loud.

Is that turbo flange store bought or homemade?
What kind of tig welder are you using? I wish I had more time and opportunities to improve my skills.
How many changes to engine bay plumbing was necessary due to the longer 1hd? AC lines, PS lines all usable from the 1PZ?

I bought the flange, then welded on the pipes. Unfortunately the flange warped some during the welding and required a bit of work to flatten back out.

TIG welding stainless is a lot of fun with the color changes.

Most of the plumbing had to be adjusted one way or another. The AC lines where left alone, but I think that long term they are going to need replacing.

Also look what arrived today:
IMG_20180312_213201.jpg

That's right brand new engine mounts. They we're supposed to arrive last Thursday, but we're "re-scheduled" 3 times by UPS. Hopefully I can lift the engine enough to replace them without removing too much.

This is an amazing build.

Was able to solve one of the long term questions of how to convert the intake air heater for the 24V system:
IMG_20180330_191142.jpg

Yep that's right I finally found a 24V version that could just be installed.
IMG_20180330_185827.jpg

It comes up as a part for a 15B-T engine, but it has the same bolt pattern etc. as the 1HD-FT.

Well my garage got taken over by a quick Jeep CJ-7 build for a friend, but that is done now so so I was able to get back to the Landcruiser.

So I finished the exhaust. It is all stainless steel 3” with an open turbine muffler.
IMG_20180423_005223.jpg
IMG_20180506_192159.jpg

Followed the original routing and used all of the origional mounting points. It went pretty well, but too a lot longer than I expected due to learning a lot about how easlly stainless warps when welding if it gets too hot along the way.

With the exhaust fully sorted I switched back to the intake side. I was able to pick up a Turbo air cleaner cover, and also installed a preventative 200 to help keep the air coming from the crankcase clean.

I made up a quick braket
IMG_20180513_213021.jpg

And after a coat of paint I got it all installed
IMG_20180523_231121.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom