Builds HDJ77 Build for Midwest Overlanding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Welcome to my Build Thread.

My starting point is a fully loaded 1991 PZJ77.

I purchased it from an auto auction while I was living in Japan. These are the 3 pictures that I had to make the purchase decision on:
JP fr.jpg
JP rr.jpg
JP int.jpg

Specs:
1PZ Engine
R151 Trans
Full Float Limited slip axles
Electronic Locking FR Hubs
Sunroof
Rr seat heater
Modifications:
Steering wheel, Shift Knobs, Bumpers, radio, and spring cup holders (None of them are going to last too long)

For the most part I was pretty lucky but I failed to notice the wear on the ash tray indicating it is a smokers car, and boy can the Japanese smoke. With a lot of scrubbing most of the smoke damage was able to be cleaned up, but the headliner is still discolored, and the sun visors had to be replaced.

So as the title suggest my goal is a Midwest Overlanding vehicle, meaning it has to be just as good on the freeways that are all over the Midwest, and you have to drive on for quite a while to get to many of the fun places. It is also going to be my daily driver for a 25mile commute. So the creature comforts are going to be important as well.

The biggest change as you may have guessed from the title is the enigne swap:
s0001.jpg
s0003.jpg

That is a 1HD-FT out of a Japanese 80 that I brought back as well.

Just read up on the 1HD-T, 1HD-FT, 1HD-FTE. I had read about the 1HD-T but didn't know the differences between the models. You have one sweet diesel there.

No remaining issues with the 1PZ, I have actually been fairly impressed with it. On my commute to work (25mi, mostly freeway) I have been driving 70mph, and getting 23.5mpg.

I am just looking to improve both the speed and the mpg a little bit

Last edited:
nothing, just a carbon copy of the hz with 1 less cylinder and slightly less horsepower. they're all slow.
I drove my 77 Series (1HZ) normally aspirated for a while and I'll readily admit it was a slug especially with an automatic transmission. The turbo / Intercooler installation has made a huge difference.

I was referring to known mechanical issues more so than internal design. :)

that's a mechanical issue that leads to more vibrations, more complicated clutch ( flywheel ) and surely lacks of power . .

Well we did get some snow up here in Michigan which gave me a good chance to "test" some of the landcruiser's other systems.

Results:
-4WD not engaging(I am guessing that it is an issue with the electronic hubs)
-Limited Slip Diff works like a charm
-Snow tires provided good grip.

Overall the 70 was a beast in the snow, even in 2WD.

I drove my 77 Series (1HZ) normally aspirated for a while and I'll readily admit it was a slug especially with an automatic transmission. The turbo / Intercooler installation has made a huge difference.

I think the sluggish feeling has more to do with the HP steeling auto trannies Toyota has been putting in the 70's then with the 1HZ,these diesels will never be king of the drag strip but I will drive 1HZ/H55 anywhere and will not have to be left behind by other road users ;)

Well we did get some snow up here in Michigan which gave me a good chance to "test" some of the landcruiser's other systems.

Results:
-4WD not engaging(I am guessing that it is an issue with the electronic hubs)
-Limited Slip Diff works like a charm
-Snow tires provided good grip.

Overall the 70 was a beast in the snow, even in 2WD.
Are one or both electric hubs not engaging?

I think the sluggish feeling has more to do with the HP steeling auto trannies Toyota has been putting in the 70's then with the 1HZ,these diesels will never be king of the drag strip but I will drive 1HZ/H55 anywhere and will not have to be left behind by other road users ;)
While I think you are spot on with your critique of the auto gearbox, I believe there are other factors that also contribute
to the sub-standard performance while normally aspirated. If I remember correctly, the 1HZ doesn't "come into its own" until it reaches 3,000+RPM. (A RPM range I seldom if ever reach). A fast spooling turbo can overcome to some degree
the high rpm horsepower and torque band issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom