Harrop E-Locker using OEM Switch and Dash Lights in a HDJ81 / FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The second relay is needed to ground the dash indicator so it will light up. If you tie pins 2 and 12, the bulb will not light up since you'll be feeding +12V.

Thank you. That makes sense now that I’m looking at things and remembering Toyota’s fondness for ground switches.

@Malahki Thanks for the write up. Took it one step further and used a fuse and relay panel to consolidate everything. It fits perfect under the hood with easy access to the under dash wiring through a convenient grommet.
20180810_102439.jpg
20180810_103153.jpg
20180810_132417.jpg

Do you have to connect BOTH harrop relays like this in order to get the automatic center lock? I have a dimly lit center diff light with no lockers engaged.

Nice work.

In case you'd like to interlock those with the CDL (like from the factory) you can wire the Harrop relays like this:

View attachment 1655242

Do you have to connect BOTH harrop relays like this in order to get the automatic center lock?
Sorry, I hope you didn't get the impression that this modification would automatically lock the CDL. It just requires that the CDL be locked BEFORE the axles can be locked.

I have a dimly lit center diff light with no lockers engaged.
I see what's going on now. The relay coil for the dash lamp is creating a path to ground for the CDL lamp.

Adding a diode like this should fix that.

Harrop R-Locker1.jpg

Malahki,

I am stoked to find this install thread! Thank you for taking the time to document, you are a mud champ!

I've just ordered the Harrop eLocker from Georg @ CruiserBrothers along w/ the OEM parts from your part list for RR install. Will update you as it progresses.

Shalom!

Thad

Last edited:
Malahki,

I am stoked to find this install thread! Thank you for taking the time to document, you are a mud champ!

I've just ordered the Harrlop eLocker from Georg @ CruiserBrothers along w/ the OEM parts from your part list for RR install. Will update you as it progresses.

Shalom!

Thad

Yes, please do take pics and document your installation if you are able. It will be a great help to others here.

Question,
This appears to be a 94 or older cruiser. Are the wire colors the same for the 95 and up? My passenger kick panel is virtually empty vs the pics in the thread. Plug is there and now trying to determine power source. If colors are the same, should be easy.

Mid way through adding the rear locker but the wiring has me confused as usual.

Another idea I had to confirm the power was to turn on the truck, confirm what color and power is coming to the switch. Then turn dial to engage rear locker and see what power and what color are now getting fed. That should tell me what color and what pin to remove I assume? Apologies for the maybe simple questions but my brain just doesn’t do electric well...

Goebs

Question,
This appears to be a 94 or older cruiser. Are the wire colors the same for the 95 and up? My passenger kick panel is virtually empty vs the pics in the thread. Plug is there and now trying to determine power source. If colors are the same, should be easy.

Mid way through adding the rear locker but the wiring has me confused as usual.

Another idea I had to confirm the power was to turn on the truck, confirm what color and power is coming to the switch. Then turn dial to engage rear locker and see what power and what color are now getting fed. That should tell me what color and what pin to remove I assume? Apologies for the maybe simple questions but my brain just doesn’t do electric well...

Goebs

Wire colors in my 97 matched the colors in the thread.

Thank you! Going to head out to the garage and see if it makes any more sense and try to go further with the wiring. You didn't by chance snap a pic of your wire set up behind the kick panel did you?

Any chance anyone knows the wire color for PIN number two where I need to add yellow wire from relay to pin two for dash light? My cruiser is a 95 and the other colors matched but I can’t figure out what PIN number 2 is.

Thanks so much! This thread is the best thus far for wiring up the Harrop to the existing harness and dial.

#2 = White.

Thanks so much!
I will look at the plug and see if I have a white.
Sorry to post questions on this very straight forward thread. Just hope they may help others like me.

If you were going to use the 15 pin to hook up the cdl like factory would you still use the loop on the ground wire to ground to the truck or does it become obsolete?

So I have harness for ecu in my 93 hdj81 vx limited. I should have plug for switch in dash but cant find it. Is it tucked away somewhere or just hanging down in plain sight. I found a wire loom coming from right side that some jackass cut off in japan to install HID lights, could this be it? Has 4 wires including the ground

Can anyone tell me what the factory wiring order is for oem switch, or which color wire goes to what pin? I've got a group of wires cut that I think is supposed to be where the oem switch goes. Ordered new plug from toyota as well as factory repair splices (x3) the group of wires I'm looking at are red, yellow, green and black

20200507_114232.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the factory wiring order is for oem switch, or which color wire goes to what pin? I've got a group of wires cut that I think is supposed to be where the oem switch goes. Ordered new plug from toyota as well as factory repair splices (x3) the group of wires I'm looking at are red, yellow, green and black

View attachment 2300460
None of that looks like factory Toyota wiring to me.

None of that looks like factory Toyota wiring to me.
After 2 days I found it. It was not cut as I thought and blinks when turned on as it should. Somehow it got tucked down inside the air vent where the two pieces join together. Got switch plugged in, ecu installed and both bulbs and sockets

I’m having a real hard time tracking down the locker ECU pigtail. I meant to post in this thread yesterday but accidentally posted in one of the many related threads I have open in other windows :doh:. I must have been through them all by now...

I am trying to wire f/r Eaton lockers in using the factory switch. This is in a 97 lx450. I found the rotary dial pigtail no problem right behind the blank slot. But I cannot seem to track down the 16 pin locker ecu pigtail. Looking for the gray one the OP found inside the little body hole behind the kick panel.

E4D28236-7D0C-4F86-8936-DCD60E1B1C67.jpeg

So far I have unclipped and moved everything out of the way as best I can. I have felt up and down the harness and have uncovered several unused pigtails but none that are as pictured above or described anywhere else.

511C1B7F-0A05-47B7-BA5B-9CB280C25958.jpeg

Tried to get a better picture but this is what I have so far searched. Everything marked in red I have felt and nothing is buried in the harness. It’s not in the body hole either.

Can anyone point out where this pigtail is supposed to branch off? I am going to search behind the instrument cluster next.

Thanks in advance!

Check the passenger side wire harness area, inside the cabin. Under the glovebox. It may be there ?

I’m having a real hard time tracking down the locker ECU pigtail. I meant to post in this thread yesterday but accidentally posted in one of the many related threads I have open in other windows :doh:. I must have been through them all by now...

I am trying to wire f/r Eaton lockers in using the factory switch. This is in a 97 lx450. I found the rotary dial pigtail no problem right behind the blank slot. But I cannot seem to track down the 16 pin locker ecu pigtail. Looking for the gray one the OP found inside the little body hole behind the kick panel.

View attachment 2380260

So far I have unclipped and moved everything out of the way as best I can. I have felt up and down the harness and have uncovered several unused pigtails but none that are as pictured above or described anywhere else.

View attachment 2380261

Tried to get a better picture but this is what I have so far searched. Everything marked in red I have felt and nothing is buried in the harness. It’s not in the body hole either.

Can anyone point out where this pigtail is supposed to branch off? I am going to search behind the instrument cluster next.

Thanks in advance!

It's in the kick panel on the passenger side, in the cabin. I just did this on my '97 LX a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom