Hardtop mystery... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris8760

SILVER Star
Threads
Any ideas what this may have been used for? It's plastic, about 2 inches across, says made in USA- it's right in the middle of the top. Whatever it is, a PO drilled right through to the other side. Maybe they were just plugging a hole?? It won't budge... I'm afraid to wrench on it too much, I don't want to damage the top any further.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'd be willing to bet something like this was there at some point in time?

or

The white rubber piece is just to plug the hole once the above was removed? :meh:

Thanks guys- that's my best guess as well. Between bushwhacker flares, jerry can bracket, roof rack, rear view mirrors, and radio antennas I have a number of holes I'm trying to plug without doing any body work... For now the paint and patina are just too original to mess with.

I'd remove it carefully, fill the hole with some fibre reinforced Bondo, and touch up the hole. No one will see the hole in the center of the roof.

This could not have been very effective as an antenna mount - any antenna needs a ground plane and fiberglass does not make an effective ground plane.

this is what happened.... (enter going back in time music here)

PO "I can't believe the antenna didn't work on the roof"

Friend of PO "no doy man"

PO "now I gots a hole in my roof and water comes through when it rains"

Friend of PO "to stop the water why don't you use a rubber drain stopper! it works for my sink"

PO "I'll use my model glue to attach it, you awesome dude"

OR....

Maybe thats where he had a sink attached?

BTW the most common sizes are 2" and 4" stoppers

21ycw8Gcr4L._SL450_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom