Help with alignment/tie rod settings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost complete with my four wheel disc conversion. I am trying to set my initial tie rod and relay rod settings. I am looking at the FSMs for both of the parts in use. See below for list

Truck: 1975 FJ40 that previously had four wheel drums, so early model 75.
Front Disc Conversion: Parts from a 1984 FJ60 to include the steering arms (I utilized the bearing spacer method in the arms to accommodate the FJ40 tie rod ends.)

So here is the dilemma. What do I set my initial tie rod and relay rod to?

FSM for 1975 FJ40 says tie rod 47.44 inches
FSM for 1984 FJ60 says tie rod 49.88 inches

Because I am using the different steering arms from the stock ones I am assuming I go with 49.88? My assumption is that the axles are exactly the same, except the difference in disc brake parts versus drums, and that the length should be the FJ60 length. Is that correct or am I out of whack?

For the relay rod I am not really as concerned. I know there will be minor changes in the length that need to be made to accommodate for the difference in tie rod length, or is there??

Anyone done this before with success and been able to get a good alignment afterward?

Neither. Those measurements are for a stock Cruiser with stock steering. You no longer have a stock Cruiser. Start with your tie rod ends screwed in about halfway on both sides. Attach it to the steering arms. Measure your toe in at the level of the hub (mid way up the tire). You want to be about 1/8" to 1/4" toe in (i.e. narrower in the front). Adjust your tie rod accordingly.

For the relay rod, again start with the ends showing about half the threads. Point the tires as straight as possible. Find the center of your steering box by counting the turns it takes stop to stop. Go exactly half that to center the steering wheel. Lengthen or shorten the relay rod until it will easily slide into the holes for the rod ends.

That will get you close enough to drive to an alignment shop.

:cheers:

Thanks fellas! I am completely new to a lot of what I have been doing to this truck. I got the tie rod on and set up and I am now just waiting on some jamb nuts from JTO to get the center link/relay rod installed. Overall this has been quite a journey just swapping my drums to disc. Almost done with that, and then I can move on to everything else wrong with the truck!:bang: Couldn't have done it without the help of Mud:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom