Hankook Tire Experience - Not positive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I sent the following in email to 3 Hankook execs. Not one responded.

Email----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to share with you my recent experience with Hankook Tires.

I have 4 Hankook Dynapro HP2 285/60R18 116V tires that were installed by the dealer as part of my recent purchase of the 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser. I specifically requested Hankook because of the F3 relationship.

The Land Cruiser has been has been having a vibration issue most noticeable in the 50 to 60 MPH but it can be felt at 80 mph. After having the Toyota store check the suspension and them finding no issues. A road force balance was performed by the Lexus store. They found the 2 front tires were 5 and 6 lbs. with the rear tires being 12 and 13 lbs. The dealer did replace the tire with 13 lbs of road force. The ride did improve some what but the vibration is still noticeable.

Of our 3 Land Cruisers the 2013 is the only one with Hankook tires and the only one with the vibration.

Based on this experience with Hankook, I will not be purchasing Hankook tires.

Hankook is the only tire, that I have had a negative ride and experience. Due to the annoying vibration from the new 4 Hankook Dynapro HP2 285/60R18 116V , I am planning on replacing the Hankook tires with either Yokohama or Michelin tires.

I did reach out to the Hancook warranty team in the US, who kicked the issue back to the dealer.

We've run 6 sets of Hankook DynaPro ATMs RF10 over the past 8 years and they have all been a great experience. We have run them on our 80, 2 sets on the Nissan Armada and 3 sets on a Dodge 1 ton dually.

When I was younger and ran welding trucks in West Texas, a Hankook tire was the only tire that would last more than 40K miles on my trucks and I never had any issues to mention.

I'd buy another set tomorrow over most brands out there. Maybe we've been lucky, but if that's the case... I roll the dice a few more times.

J

My experience dates back beginning about 10 years ago and I was needing tires for both the FJ60 and FZJ80. The 80 received a set of Hankook ATs, 285/75/16. The 80 was a recent purchase and I was chasing PO issues. Similar to @DougKTexas experience at speeds around 65 mph or greater a vibration would set in. This was an odd vibration that seemed to oscillate through the vehicle, yet it was not always present. At the time I did not consider a new set of tires to be the issue because there were too many maintenance deferred issues with the 80 and that's where I focused my attentions. Bearings, knuckles, driveline, worn bushings, etc. Eventually I had the tires checked and the the shop stated that they were out of round. By that time tires had ca. 30k and I decided it was not worth pursuing the issue with Hankook.

I ran a set of 33x12.5x15 MTs on the FJ60. These did not exhibit the odd vibration. My issue with these tires were sidewall failures when the tires were older. Tread depth was good but I had 2 or 3 of the 4 simply have the sidewall split rendering the tire useless. Sidewallls had not been cut or ruptured from an outside object, these were internal, un-observable ruptures (expect for the tire suddenly going flat).

Tires are too expensive to risk spending money on a brand for which I have no confidence.

interesting that the problems still persist with Hankook. I agree, tires are too expensive to mess with a low/poor quality brand.

On the flip side, I'm on my 3rd set of Hankooks - previous tires were 295/75r16 MT, 255/75r17 ATm's; current is 275/70r17 ATm's - and all have been flawless. They were made in Korea - were yours made in another factory/country? (I see they make quite a few tires in China now)

I will not invest another dime on tires that perform well in one particular terrain - and that includes pavement performance. I'm sorry but, unless you have a trailer queen or dedicated trail rig, most of your driving IS on pavement (or snow covered pavement in some climes...lol). For me consistantcy and reliability are paramount. I know they are not a popular tire in the recreational off road world, but my Toyo M55s continue to perform as expected and in some cases - better than expected. I run them on 2 rigs. My '94 80 seies and a '97 Ford F350 that I have a 11' Lance slide-in camper on and flat tow one of my rigs occasionally. Here in rural Oregon, quite a few "Off road commercial" fleets run these tires - mainly for 2 reasons: performance and longevity/durability. They may not impress the folks at the mall, but they will get you to your destination and back home reliably, over most any roads for years to come. :cheers:

The wife drove the 2013 with the Hankook tires yesterday. She commented that she could feel the vibration then it went away. I told her that the Hankook customer support manager said that was normal for radial tires. I have never felt that initial vibration until the tire warms up with any other brand especially V rated tires....

its been in the 50's a the tire induced poor ride quality has gotten worse, normally after 5-10 miles the quality improves. With colder weather it never improves.....

The Hankook tire replacement is now on the top of the list of todo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom