SOLD Hand Throttle and bracket for 1965 FJ45 (I know it will be hard to find) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hand Throttle and bracket for 1965 FJ45 (I know it will be hard to find)

Which bracket Chris ?

The actual tiny machine screw and square nut 🔩 equipped little arm that is itself bolted to the SD-40 air horn and then squeezes the metal coil cable liner jacket itself at the end to immobileize it as the push / pull of the solid core wire inside telescopes back and fort in its normal THROW range of motion ?

Pics may help here …

Thanks

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures. It is missing from mine, and I have nothing to reference it to.

that is because the HAND THROTTLE option was a KIT FORM part , the needed air horn bracket Chris , came in this KIT , its like a L shape as i recall ,

only one man has these , and has one for you im sure ...

my favorite Elder Statesmen @65swb45 :D🍻

see my period correct paper parts cataloger nomenclature below , SAVE this screen shot it and memorize itn too ,

a old PARTS carb SD-40 may be your UNICORN here , in-fact i bet that is just the case ,,

see call out :

- BA , and ALL the single little parts that touch it too ,,,

- BB
- E
- H
- G

also see :

- J

- P

- Q

on switch panel nomenclature .....

there is a little brass set screw block i cant locate , but ANY cable stop will due here

i have sourced and set up 3 of these in my Toyota lifetime , and finding the kit options parts always involved a crusty old scrap carb

- so look onward to this as the norm way to get your must have ...

THIS IS THE WAY .....

Only bracket would be mounted to the carburetor. Up 9/69 throttle was dash mounted and went directly to the carburetor. Believe the bracket is on this carburetor. Clamps the cable housing high. The solid inner piece parallels the accelerated cable.
20211229_124725.jpg

This is the SD40 I have. Is the throttle bracket all ready attached? I believe it is but like I said never had one before. If that is the correct bracket is the only thing I need is the cable? Thank you

@Living in the Past @ToyotaMatt

IMG_3678-XL.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_1592.jpeg

Looks like you’ll need the connector bolt for the throttle cable to the throttle lever. Choke connector bolt is there.

I can’t find in my parts book how the throttle cable connects to the throttle lever (I don’t have a real example in hand either, my SD40s are sitting on the shelf 😂). So, here’s what’s shown in the fuel group (carb) and body group (linkage). It looks like you have parts AK (screw) and AT which is the “choke wire clamp” connector, but I don’t see anything similar for a throttle cable (which might be an optional thing anyhow?). I’ll keep looking, but I strongly suspect Mark @65swb45 can help with info (and parts).
IMG_1594.png
IMG_1595.png
IMG_1593.png

I'm not sure what I still have in SD one barrel Carburators. Forgot the pre 68 model the accelerator is solid rod. Only two I have around few early 40 series have Rochester carburetors. Not even sure how they are hooked up. My 65 FJ45 came with a 2F and two barrel. I converted the accelerator over to the 68-72 style many years ago.
PXL_20221107_214934740.jpg

Here’s info on the throttle cable (L), in the electrical group 😂. Still looking for connection schematic/info.
IMG_1596.png
IMG_1597.png

Well this is a fun learning project! Here’s a pic a one of my uninstalled SD40s, looks like yours. Still no clue wrt connecting the throttle cable to the throttle lever though.
IMG_4607.JPG

This is @Mtntopper ’s recent post with his dual SD40 setup, but unfortunately the throttle cable isn’t connected to add some insight.
Barely any progress. The most recent chapter has been long and frustrating. I tried to set up an Offenhauser twin-carb intake with a pair of SD40's but after trying several configurations and adjustments it just wasn't right. It was no small task assembling the pieces for the Offy intake, such as a split fuel rail, split air filter, and the dual throttle linkage, all period correct first Gen FJ40 mods. The Offy intake also necessitated that the oil filter housing be re-located. Currently though it's all yanked and sitting on the shelf and it's running the OEM intake.
View attachment 3489042

View attachment 3489043

View attachment 3489044

View attachment 3489045

View attachment 3489046

I’m way more familiar with Carter carbs, which is what I have in my dual carb setup on my 45SWB. The Carters interconnect the choke linkage with the throttle linkage, so when you pull the choke cable you get a smidgeon of throttle bump too. The SD40s don’t have that, which I now know looking at them more closely. You can still have a throttle cable with the Carters that doesn’t add any choke because of a slotted cam in the interconnect linkage. I guess Aisin hadn’t caught up with Carter “tech” yet in the early 60’s 😝.

Found this in the 25 section posted by @Living in the Past a few eons ago. It shows a throttle cable connection (somewhat). It looks like something like part AT from the choke cable connection shown earlier is clamped to the throttle cable wire with screw AK below the slot in the throttle lever. Doesn’t look too original to me, but probably functional. And ignore the spring.
Here's a couple of pictures of the hand throttle on a 1960 FJ25.
View attachment 339776 View attachment 339777

Last edited:
Try it now, you were seeing the last pic in his post, so I deleted that link. Should be two pictures linked.

Found this in the 25 section posted by @Living in the Past a few eons ago. It shows a throttle cable connection (somewhat). It looks like something like part AT from the choke cable connection shown earlier is clamped to the throttle cable wire with screw AK below the slot in the throttle lever. Doesn’t look too original to me, but probably functional. And ignore the spring.
That is correct and OE for the SD40. My unmolested early '64 has the same setup. Cable runs through the throttle lever hole and below it, a barrel and screw clamp the cable below the throttle and this is how you pull it. Works the same way as WW2 and later jeeps did. Picture explains it -

Screenshot_20231127_204444_Firefox.jpg

This is the SD40 I have. Is the throttle bracket all ready attached? I believe it is but like I said never had one before. If that is the correct bracket is the only thing I need is the cable? Thank you

@Living in the Past @ToyotaMatt

View attachment 3492594

Did a little digging. Two of my SD carburetors have the correct bracket to clamp the cable.
PXL_20231127_184658702.jpg

This one has the later style for 68 and 69 models.
PXL_20231127_184649126.jpg

It designed to clamp the accelerator and throttle cables.
This is the correct throttle cable FJ25 thru 67 model FJ40.
PXL_20231127_184833810.jpg

Matches the style of the choke cable for the same period.

Bingo Bango Bongo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom