Half-Ass.....the rebirth of a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ladies, please refrain from offering advice to The Bossman. This thread is just an opportunity to see BMF at work, it is not a solicitation for your opinion.

If The Bossman wants to flat-tow a broke-down truck with no steering linkage, sticky krawlers, whatever... he can do it. Why? Because he's The MF'n Bossman, that's why. And you're not.

FJ60Cam said:
Ladies, please refrain from offering advice to The Bossman. This thread is just an opportunity to see BMF at work, it is not a solicitation for your opinion.

If The Bossman wants to flat-tow a broke-down truck with no steering linkage, sticky krawlers, whatever... he can do it. Why? Because he's The MF'n Bossman, that's why. And you're not.

Church

Am I that bad? Really? Eric, for one, is way ahead of me on this 80 stuff and I value y'alls opinions. A thing either works or it doesn't. Eric has proven, at least to me, that flat towing is a viable option if you set things up right. Hard on the tires - sure, trouble if you tear up on the trail - heck yeah, need more spare parts, - prolly...but all that might still be better than the extra weight of a trailer(or maybe not). Again, just discussing options. I said earlier that it will prolly end up on a trailer for the Moab trip. I just like to cover the bases.

Going back to hide in my "lair" now...

wanabecruisen said:
Am I that bad? Really? Eric, for one, is way ahead of me on this 80 stuff and I value y'alls opinions. A thing either works or it doesn't. Eric has proven, at least to me, that flat towing is a viable option if you set things up right. Hard on the tires - sure, trouble if you tear up on the trail - heck yeah, need more spare parts, - prolly...but all that might still be better than the extra weight of a trailer(or maybe not). Again, just discussing options. I said earlier that it will prolly end up on a trailer for the Moab trip. I just like to cover the bases.

Going back to hide in my "lair" now...

Hahaha, no... it seems errbody was just pointing out the obvious as though you hadn't thought of it yet (like the pros and cons of flat towing vs trailering.)

It was only a matter of time before somebody brought up brake lines or something.

It's unlikely (possible, but unlikely) that you'll tear it up to the point that you can't flat tow it home. You don't need an engine, fridge, stickers, cup holders, driveshafts, diffs, or axles to tow it, and you probably won't tear up much worse than that on a family trip.

And if you do... you'll figure it out, cuz you've forgotten more than MacGuyver ever knew.

He only needs one sticker!

I am toying with the idea of flat towing Half Ass all the way to Utah behind my Dodge. RV's do it all the time if it's set up right. May not be enough time to get things worked out before the trip so it's also a consideration for my trips to Hot Springs. Why pull my heavy ass trailer if i don't need to. Sure, some wear on the tires but that's not a big deal to me.

I do own a tow dolly and used it last weekend to tow her to HS. Worked ok but I think I can get the flat tow thing worked out over time.

Best option at this point is still my newer 80 on a trailer. May end up using my heavy ass one but would prefer to find something lighter. No time to build so options are limited.

Better?

You almost have to have the same mentality as if you drove it out there. If you have a trailer then you can wheel harder & still not have to worry about how to get her home.
What happens if you bend a steering linkage on half ass? can you still flat tow with it then?

You could drive it out there... The 40th landcruiser not halfass. Fuel would be cheaper than diesel. If i have a last minute issue with the diesel thats what i wil do. Not my first choice but a viable option.

Damnit Lenny. Your second paragraph just contradicted your first paragraph! Stop that! Listen to your own advice!

This is some funny shxt! :hillbilly:

Yeap - this is kinda about Moab but also looking forward to many trips to HS and other local areas. Just exploring options and trying things out.

1) Caster bushings on Half Ass and try it out. If it works replace the front locker I welded at GSMTR and I'm ready to go.

2) Convert the 97 to Asian locking hubs, remove rear driveshaft, install mounts for tow bar, and try it out. If it works I'm ready to go.

3) Option 1 or 2 with the car dolly instead of the tow bar and I'm ready to go.

4) 97 on the trailer, buy three new tires and try to find two extra rims and I'm ready to go. (most likely option at this point)

5) 97 or Half Ass on borrowed trailer (lighter to save fuel) and I'm ready to go.

Either way I'm leaving for Moab in 15 days!:steer:

By gawd I feel a lot better now!

I thought I was the only one undecided on how to get to moab w/ my 80.

At this point I am going with a trailer!

I have put too much money on both of the vehicles the old Dodge and the 80 so I am sticking w/ the plan!

I started w/ trailering the 80, then I changed to driving it w/ a big concern of the " what if it breaks"

At this point, My Paloma was in the shop.

Later as I was driving the 80, I found out about the head gasket.:mad:

...So she went to the shop for a HG job and as it is, she still there.

Today I found out that the radiator needs to be change too!

by gawd, all these things piled up real quick.

all I can say, it beats the car payment!

At this point, like I said I am towing her on a gooseneck to Moab!:grinpimp:

JP,

It sucks to have these "problems" with out vehicles now, but look on the bright side. Would you rather break down on the road while towing?

I'm having to spend some $$$ to get my truck going. Need to order some Amsoil synthetic gear oil for the truck diffs and replace the injection pump. I'm also needing more time too.. :-(

No complaint on my part but I think the prevention of all these lil' things will pay out at the end and would make our trip more pleasant to everyone, that's passengers, tow truck and as well as the wheeling vehicle!:grinpimp:

...I make it a habit of every summer doing some maintenance on my cars since they're old.

I just did not expect to be as much.

CHarles when are you leaving and what route?

My quickest route is up I-37 and then right on I-10 head west up to close to El Paso.

s*** i juat relized this thread is your nephew jake cruise ha i go to school whith him at canton academy ha yea his new cruiser is preaty nice ha

Nolen, didn't you go to Canton Academy? Maybe you two had English class together.

**** I just found this thread. Is your nephew Jake Cruise? I go to school with him at Canton Academy. Yea, his new cruiser is pretty nice!

I help you :clap:

I took out all the giggling so you don't sound like a little school girl in a boys locker room.

:flipoff2:

Jordan7118 said:
I help you :clap:

I took out all the giggling so you don't sound like a little school girl in a boys locker room.

:flipoff2:

I deciphered the secret code he's using ha He puts a "ha" every time one might normally use punctuation ha

I deciphered the secret code he's using ha He puts a "ha" every time one might normally use punctuation ha
i see ha that makes sense now ha thanks for cracking the code ha good work ha

Can an lol be used for an exclamation point and a giggle used for a question mark giggle

sorry i typed a little to quick ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom