Half-Ass.....the rebirth of a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whale crap, the flat tow test on Half Ass failed:(

I thought the home made front spacers might be a problem and... they are. Caster must be off as it turns the wrong way with any kind of sharp-ish turn. Wide turns seem OK. I've got some yellow caster bushings that I believe add about 3 degrees of caster so I may try them first. Bummer

You just said the solution to your problem... 3 degrees should be plenty. I fought this same demon and suspected that castor would fix it: it did. Now I flat tow like it ain't even back there.
You got a set of rollers? because that's what makes the flat towing work for me. Gotta remember: whatever you're flat towing is traveling as fast as the tow rig...

I'm missing something. You want to flat-tow half-ass with one of the 80's to utah to have two wheeling rigs? Or just flat-tow due to mileage costs? or do you just not currently have a single rig trailer?
Don't knock it, but I'd seriously look for a dolly... MUCH lighter and the whole trip you'll never keep looking back wondering if the rig is going to keep following you. I flat-towed fine to GSMTR but was glued to my rear-view the entire time.

I am toying with the idea of flat towing Half Ass all the way to Utah behind my Dodge. RV's do it all the time if it's set up right. May not be enough time to get things worked out before the trip so it's also a consideration for my trips to Hot Springs. Why pull my heavy ass trailer if i don't need to. Sure, some wear on the tires but that's not a big deal to me.

I do own a tow dolly and used it last weekend to tow her to HS. Worked ok but I think I can get the flat tow thing worked out over time.

Best option at this point is still my newer 80 on a trailer. May end up using my heavy ass one but would prefer to find something lighter. No time to build so options are limited.

Better?

perfect!
yep, press in them bushings and hit the road! She'll follow you wherever you go! Night and day after the bushings... I experienced the EXACT same thing...

You almost have to have the same mentality as if you drove it out there. If you have a trailer then you can wheel harder & still not have to worry about how to get her home.
What happens if you bend a steering linkage on half ass? can you still flat tow with it then?

You could drive it out there... The 40th landcruiser not halfass. Fuel would be cheaper than diesel. If i have a last minute issue with the diesel thats what i wil do. Not my first choice but a viable option.

You almost have to have the same mentality as if you drove it out there. If you have a trailer then you can wheel harder & still not have to worry about how to get her home.
What happens if you bend a steering linkage on half ass? can you still flat tow with it then?

You could drive it out there... The 40th landcruiser not halfass. Fuel would be cheaper than diesel. If i have a last minute issue with the diesel thats what i wil do. Not my first choice but a viable option.

Damnit Lenny. Your second paragraph just contradicted your first paragraph! Stop that! Listen to your own advice!

Yeap - this is kinda about Moab but also looking forward to many trips to HS and other local areas. Just exploring options and trying things out.

1) Caster bushings on Half Ass and try it out. If it works replace the front locker I welded at GSMTR and I'm ready to go.

2) Convert the 97 to Asian locking hubs, remove rear driveshaft, install mounts for tow bar, and try it out. If it works I'm ready to go.

3) Option 1 or 2 with the car dolly instead of the tow bar and I'm ready to go.

4) 97 on the trailer, buy three new tires and try to find two extra rims and I'm ready to go. (most likely option at this point)

5) 97 or Half Ass on borrowed trailer (lighter to save fuel) and I'm ready to go.

Either way I'm leaving for Moab in 15 days!:steer:

Land Speeder said:
Damnit Lenny. Your second paragraph just contradicted your first paragraph! Stop that! Listen to your own advice!

All are only options my non listening argumentative Padawan.

Here i will make it easy
1st option
Trailer an 80 out there
-can wheel hard & get home
2nd option
Dolley tow
- hard to reverse. Less need to worry about steering linkage
3rd Option
Flat tow
- essentially truck needs to be somewhat intact to tow home.
4th option
drive it
-Truck has to be intact to get back

My advice is to and always has been to trailer it. If thats not an option then you have to be more conscious of what you wheel and how ya wheel it. You also will need a greater assortment of spare parts if you're not trailering your rig. Still wheeling toyotas so spare parts can be hard to come by.
I never liked the idea of flat towing anything with a transfer case. Heard too many stories of Something popping back into gear and/ or stuff breaking while towing.

Daryl, have you given any though to installing 2 smaller tires in the rear and pull the shafts / replace with flanges? Then you're riding purely on bearings with normal size tires. Put it on the dolly. I know that's more work on removing and installing tires / gear oil top-off, but over a greater distance is may be worth it.

:confused:

For Moab, I think I vote for the 40th 80. It'll be much more enjoyable in the heat and you can go 95% of the places you'll wanna go. Hell, you could probably convince a Geo Metro to go where you want! You're careful and poised with your driving, so I think your DD should be fine.

Good luck :banana:

All are only options my non listening argumentative Padawan.

Here i will make it easy
1st option
Trailer an 80 out there
-can wheel hard & get home
2nd option
Dolley tow
- hard to reverse. Less need to worry about steering linkage
3rd Option
Flat tow
- essentially truck needs to be somewhat intact to tow home.
4th option
drive it
-Truck has to be intact to get back

My advice is to and always has been to trailer it. If thats not an option then you have to be more conscious of what you wheel and how ya wheel it. You also will need a greater assortment of spare parts if you're not trailering your rig. Still wheeling toyotas so spare parts can be hard to come by.
I never liked the idea of flat towing anything with a transfer case. Heard too many stories of Something popping back into gear and/ or stuff breaking while towing.

LOL. i know what you meant and what your best advice was. Gotta remember my point of view, i went through this exact scenario last year and people telling me not to. With regards to spare parts, in the end, flat-towing is nothing more than driving your trail rig there and back. And you are perfectly right, trailering is the best answer.

LOL. i know what you meant and what your best advice was. Gotta remember my point of view, i went through this exact scenario last year and people telling me not to. With regards to spare parts, in the end, flat-towing is nothing more than driving your trail rig there and back. And you are perfectly right, trailering is the best answer.

getting lorena to the trail is the only option :D

Can't wait to see you wheel her went you don't have to go easy on her ;)

lenross1 said:
getting lorena to the trail is the only option :D

I would hate to see it...he was on catty like a cheap whore at utbt and he drove her home so short of blowing her up nothing can suprise me from shuntzilla

I would hate to see it...he was on catty like a cheap whore at utbt and he drove her home so short of blowing her up nothing can suprise me from shuntzilla

Bomar, i just realized.... UTBT is the only time you've ever seen me wheel my junk! OHSHUNT! You better ride shotgun at SCC one day...

edit: Hell! GSMTR was the first for Lenny! And he didn't even ride with me the day I followed the ftoys.

She Dirty

hopefully, this new project will allow me to get the belt out after her more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom