H55F Transmission Support Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is all 7 pages of this conversation just to get the right parts to make it appear stock? Thats a lot of time to invest in a truck that is no longer stock... Why not just have or build a crossmember that will likely be stronger, faster to achieve the ending goal and CHEAPER.

At a minimum of $85.00 an hour for a welder I can't imagine it would be cheaper. I have about $250.00 in 1 complete assembly and a partial second. I just wanted to know which one was correct for a 40 series. I believe my betters have provided the information that allowed me to know what to look for.

Is all 7 pages of this conversation just to get the right parts to make it appear stock? Thats a lot of time to invest in a truck that is no longer stock... Why not just have or build a crossmember that will likely be stronger, faster to achieve the ending goal and CHEAPER.

I have to agree finding OEM doesn't have to be expensive. I paid under a $100 for my first one and all the others got the seller to throw them in with the transmission/transfer case. Having one made or aftermarket would cost more than that. Not everyone has a shop with a welder.

So I'm in the process of mounting the newer style cross member in my '79 built 1980 FJ40. I have a 1983 H42 4sp mounted to the bellhousing which has it's original isolator on it. And the whole set up is still supported by the original bell housing supports.

So positioning the cross member front to back is not a problem but I'm trying to determine the vertical position of the L brackets. My instincts tell me that the top of the brackets should be aligned to the top of the inner frame channel. But in the pictures above it looks like they could be aligned to the top of the Frame rail itself.

Anyone have an idea on this?

So I'm in the process of mounting the newer style cross member in my '79 built 1980 FJ40. I have a 1983 H42 4sp mounted to the bellhousing which has it's original isolator on it. And the whole set up is still supported by the original bell housing supports.

So positioning the cross member front to back is not a problem but I'm trying to determine the vertical position of the L brackets. My instincts tell me that the top of the brackets should be aligned to the top of the inner frame channel. But in the pictures above it looks like they could be aligned to the top of the Frame rail itself.

Anyone have an idea on this?

If the 83 is crossmember is from a FJ60 than it is different than the one for the SWB 40 series. For the 40 series there are two versions of center section. 8/80-9/82 and 10/82+. Newer has better clearance for the longer H55F. Actually there is also a pre 8/80 for the BJ40. The 8/80+ has three version of L brackets 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 and 46. Then one for the FJ45 and finally one for the HJ47.

My plan for my 79 FJ40 is to install H55F to the stock bellhousing. Installed the correct isolator, crossmember and L brackets. Then see where the L brackets land on the frame. I know where the front bolts go there is a large oval hole that was just a circle 8/80+. Guessing the L brackets land will be close to a. 82 FJ40 frame I have.

If your just going to run a H42 four speed and transfer case without a PTO could probably get away with the mounts on the bellhousing. You will still need to address the hand brake.

I bought the cross member years ago and it's from an '82 FJ40, can't tell you which version cross member it is. The tranny is out of a '83 FJ60 as I wanted to install this with the proper split case for the new rear axle with the e-brakes at the axle. This is a baby step thing for me with an eye on a 5 speed at some possible point.

I bought the cross member years ago and it's from an '82 FJ40, can't tell you which version cross member it is. The tranny is out of a '83 FJ60 as I wanted to install this with the proper split case for the new rear axle with the e-brakes at the axle. This is a baby step thing for me with an eye on a 5 speed at some possible point.

Sounds like going along the same path. Originally picked up transmission, transfer case, crossmember, rear axle and driveshafts from a 82 FJ40. Then located a H41 form an 84 HJ47RV. Rear 8/80+ FF from either an FJ40 or BJ42. Next came a H55F from a 83 BJ42RV. Got pretty much everything else for the H55F conversion for the BJ42.

The top crossmember is from 10/82+.
IMG_20200611_104238832.jpg

If you look across the bottom in the center you will see a small drain hole. Only seen that on later crossmember which is made to clearance the front driveshaft on a H55F that is longer.

Does anyone have the cross member measurement lengthwise for an 80-82 and 82-84 Fj/Bj4x? I assume it is the same - the only difference being the casting change for axle clearance with H55.

@FJ40GURU has my L brackets but I'm locating a crossmember now and the measurement would be the icing on the cake. All the intel up to this point has been a blessing.

Does anyone have the cross member measurement lengthwise for an 80-82 and 82-84 Fj/Bj4x? I assume it is the same - the only difference being the casting change for axle clearance with H55.

@FJ40GURU has my L brackets but I'm locating a crossmember now and the measurement would be the icing on the cake. All the intel up to this point has been a blessing.
Nate - see below.
40/42 brackets
HJ47 brackets and crossmember
HJ60 bracket and crossmember

7A0FF14C-3711-44FC-9EEE-7D14EF82AA57.jpeg

Few days will be around my crossmember and L brackets. No longer have my HJ47 brackets. But still have my 3/82 US market FJ40 brackets and my Australian market BJ42 with an H55F brackets. Date on the transfer case is 5/83. Brackets are identical. Change 10/82 was in the crossmember itself. 10/82+ is shaped different to add clearance for the front driveshaft.

Nate - see below.
40/42 brackets
HJ47 brackets and crossmember
HJ60 bracket and crossmember

View attachment 2811929

The HJ47 is easy to tell because the L brackets are wider. The FJ45/BJ45 are shaped the same as the FJ/BJ short and mid wheel base. Just shorter because the frame is narrower at that section of the frame on the long wheel base. Use a FJ45 bracket would find it too short on an FJ40. 60 series fixed nut is on the L bracket verses the crossmember on the 40 series.

What are you looking for exactly, length between mounting hole pairs? I can get that for an 83 and we can compare with John’s 82 @Living in the Past

I have a 3/82 US market brackets. Plus 5/83 Australian market BJ42 with an H55F. What I find interesting Toyota changed crossmember 10/82 because of the H55F. While only the crossmember changed part numbers changed for the brackets also changed. The brackets have the same letters/numbers stamped into them.

Does no one produce this crossmember yet? For such a common swap

Did you ever get the measurements you were after? Won't be a couple weeks until I'm around mine. No longer have the HJ47 L brackets. Sold a 2H bellhousing and crossmember to a mudder. Still have pictures the shows the angle of the frame is different other 40 series models. The L brackets for the FJ45 and HJ47 might work with the 60 series crossmember. Crossmember for all 8/80+ were the width. With HJ47 L brackets in a FJ40 40 series crossmember would be to short. 60 series with HJ47 L brackets might work with little mods. Pre 8/80 will not have fixed nuts in the frame. If I haven't mentioned earlier if using a pre 8/80 frame and four speed bellhousing mounting with the bellhousing motor mounts will position the transmission in the stock location. The with a F engine isolator under the transmission it will be in the stock location. I'm using a stock 40 series H55 skid plate. Lower the transmission would require will spacing the skid plate. Last time I looked Amayama still showed the five skid plate available. If it really is and if so would they ship it no sure. Would have to order to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom