Builds GX470 Slow Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current Mods as of Summer 2020
1. Ironman Foam Cell Pro 2.5” suspension
2. OPOR sliders
3. Rhino-rack pioneer platform
4. 255/80r17 Toyo Open Country AT3
5. OEM FJ cruiser 17” steelies
6. Factory nav to non nav conversion to 9” android head unit
7. Front and rear bumper chops
8. Apex overland front recovery hooks
9. Ironman 4x4 upper control arms

*updates at the bottom of this thread*

Another new guy here, been a lurker for a long time. The vast amount of knowledge on here is amazing, I really appreciate everyone, and follow several of you on Instagram, lusting over incredible builds. One day I hope to be another wood grain warrior in the ranks. Currently live in Denver and I picked up a 1 owner 2005 GX about 6 months ago-in excellent condition, with all maintenance records. Silver, 91k miles, non-kdss with ML sound and crappy nav. I just had a new baby, so any sort of mods are going to be a slow go, I eventually plan on winding up somewhere along the lines of @freddydt or wingysataday's awesome trucks. In the meantime however, I am dealing with maintenance issues. I love this truck, but all of the stereotypical GX problems seem to be hitting all at once. In 6 months I've already replaced the radiator, alternator, had the front axles re-booted, and now I just discovered the transfer case is dripping gear oil on the garage floor. Luckily I bought an extended warranty from the Toyota dealership I got the truck from, so all of this has been covered, however I am wondering if got a bad apple, or if this is all just bad timing on routine items for the GX. Has anyone else had everything go wrong within weeks of each other? Again I love the site, I check it daily, a lot of awesome GX's being built up out there.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sounds about right for 90k.

Sent from my iPhone

Not a bad apple. You're just getting all the usual stuff out of the way right off the bat. A rear airbag should pop soon, and then you'll be all set.

It's @mtwilly87 on IG. I'm really looking forward to the wood grain warrior line up of products coming down the pipeline. I'll probably get the incognito when it goes into production.

Ok so I am in the middle of researching suspension and lift for hopefully middle of this year. I don't think I can afford knocking out the wheels, tires, and lift all at once, and may need to space things out over several months. Since this will be my first lifted vehicle ever (I've always ran stock) I have a question for all you guys running 285s and lift kits.

If I'm unable to do the lift and tires at once, is one better to do first than the other? Can my stock suspension handle 285/70/17 tires with a 17x8.5,-10 or -12 offset for several months until I get the lift done? I wouldn't be doing any off roading until the lift is done. Or is it better to do the lift first? I am thinking I am going to go with @southernsss 2'' radflo kit like @freddydt. I know running around on stock 265's with a 2'' lift would look stupid, but it may have to be like that until I could get the tires and wheels. Classic newb lift questions here. Thanks guys.

I wish I would have got sliders instead of the aftermarket upper control arms because I don't think you really need them. There's a few guys on here who lifted their vehicles without getting aftermarket upper control arms and are not having any problems.

I had my new wheels and tires mounted before I had the lift put on to avoid carrying a whole set with me to Baton Rouge. Didn't happen. Would have torn my bumper and fender well to pieces but I also have a full 33" tire that is very aggressive. Took them off and waited until the lift went on this past weekend. I know it'll be hard to wait but I would do it all at once. You'll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone

I'd personally go with the suspension first. Install the 2" lift and keep the 265's, wont look that bad really, then upgrade the tires/wheels later. With this route, you'll at least be able to enjoy the lift for its on and off road improvements where as the big tires would just limit you.

Good luck!

I'll go against the grain and say to do the tires first. If you plan on off roading it, you'll need to make the same modifications to your cab mount and fenders as you would if you had the lift. I made all of my modifications prior to getting the tires put on - and zero rubbing during normal driving. Adjusting as I go, when flexing a bit. But I know once it's all perfect, the lift will be good to go.

As far as the UCA's, if you lift 3", you definitely want them. Yes, some folks will say they're fine with the stockers - but they really won't realize how much better it would be until they put some aftermarkets on, and get the caster back up to ~ 3*. Caster near 0 with the stockers will be very flighty on the highway at 65+. Does it work with stock? Sure. It's just a preference of highway driving with one hand, or two hands on the wheel :)

image_zps14vyos36.jpeg

I'll go against the grain and say to do the tires first. If you plan on off roading it, you'll need to make the same modifications to your cab mount and fenders as you would if you had the lift. I made all of my modifications prior to getting the tires put on - and zero rubbing during normal driving. Adjusting as I go, when flexing a bit. But I know once it's all perfect, the lift will be good to go.

As far as the UCA's, if you lift 3", you definitely want them. Yes, some folks will say they're fine with the stockers - but they really won't realize how much better it would be until they put some aftermarkets on, and get the caster back up to ~ 3*. Caster near 0 with the stockers will be very flighty on the highway at 65+. Does it work with stock? Sure. It's just a preference of highway driving with one hand, or two hands on the wheel :)

image_zps14vyos36.jpeg

Depends on the tires. Some might work, but there was no way to make mine work without cutting a lot more than I did once it was lifted. You can do what I did and try it. Just take them off if you don't like it. But I say wait and do it all at once.

Sent from my iPhone

Depends on the tires. Some might work, but there was no way to make mine work without cutting a lot more than I did once it was lifted. You can do what I did and try it. Just take them off if you don't like it. But I say wait and do it all at once.

This is true. I did have to add spacers, otherwise the stock wheels wouldn't have cleared the UCA. I'll be installing those this weekend and ditching the spacers..

Well the stealer just called back after looking at that leak. It's indeed the transfer case with the warranty covers...but of course there are additional items that need work. I knew the timing belt was coming, but these other items, I wasn't expecting to drop $1600 today:

Timing belt, WP & labor-$800
Changing out the spark plugs $242
Power steering flush and new fluid:$165
Change out diff fluids: $150
Change out brake fluid$137
New rear wiper:$22

I'm thinking I could probably do most of this myself except for the timing belt, I'm a decently skilled handy man. :(

Ah the pitfalls of buying a used truck right before major maintenance is due. BTW thanks for all the tires vs lift suggestions, I really appreciate the input.

Hell you can do all of those items if you have a weekend to dedicate your truck being laid up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom