GX470 Ham Radio in-stall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking about doing an in-dash ham radio install. Options are limited elsewhere and I don't want to take away any precious leg space for me or the passenger by mounting on the side of the center console . I was thinking of doing a delete in the ashtray /lighter area and make it real clean. Has anyone seen this before, pics?? links??
Thanks!

Thinking about doing an in-dash ham radio install. Options are limited elsewhere and I don't want to take away any precious leg space for me or the passenger by mounting on the side of the center console . I was thinking of doing a delete in the ashtray /lighter area and make it real clean. Has anyone seen this before, pics?? links??
Thanks!
Probably of no help as it is exactly what you don’t want for do, but my install on the drivers side of the center console works well for me.
I have the Yaesu mounted to a Victory 4x4 molle panel, and it lives there unobtrusively.
One of the pictures shows my leg in my normal driving position…no contact with the radio body, and I don’t even notice the contact with the mic when it’s in its cradle.

CE5DDFC8-646D-44CE-9FD3-B725008E0F65.jpeg

AA1C5D2E-3FE9-4695-969B-51F6C9A5583C.jpeg

FD249425-DC2B-49AF-88E8-E62C9962FD43.jpeg

Following also. Moving all my gear over from a 4th gen 4runner including my Yaesu FT7800r. Considering either somewhere in the trunk (remote faceplate) like I have in the 4runner or perhaps in the GX's stock CD changer location... Curious what others have done.

@Bluetribal - Very curious to see pics of your glove box install - do you have anything you can post?

Also, curious what folks are doing for antenna mounts -- my rooftop tent will cover the entire roof of the car so not sure how best to handle. On my 4runner I was able to mount to the trunk using a Diamond K400S-NMO Lip Mount but not sure that'll work on the GX with its side swinging rear door....

IMG_5437.jpg

I did the GMRS in the ash tray and as posted earlier it fits like a glove! I did also take my ashtray face plate and cut it to make a trim piece below to give it a more finished look... this is a Lexus after all.

original_271078a4-8bfb-46da-bf20-cb4639bb539e_PXL_20210226_222125611.jpg

You can pull the assembly containing the 12v outlet and ashtray out completely, then separate the outlet and ashtray from the outer shell and reinstall, leaving you a nice open space for a radio. Not a whole ton of space depth wise given the HVAC ductwork and whatnot is back there.

a switch panel currently lives in that space on mine and I have a kenwood 2m remote mounted in front of the cupholders with a little creativity.

90921738-7176-41B1-8BC7-98BF0245806C.jpeg

@Bluetribal - Very curious to see pics of your glove box install - do you have anything you can post?

Also, curious what folks are doing for antenna mounts -- my rooftop tent will cover the entire roof of the car so not sure how best to handle. On my 4runner I was able to mount to the trunk using a Diamond K400S-NMO Lip Mount but not sure that'll work on the GX with its side swinging rear door....

View attachment 2696623
It’s the last photo of my post in the link I attached.

I did the glove box install also. Used a ball mount for the face plate. Fender mount for antenna. More pics in my build thread.

447C0E7C-4FDA-4145-9364-2F55BA9D8193.jpeg
CFEF4651-B76C-4866-95E1-303B7679D7AD.jpeg
5A4DCB05-DBBD-48B2-9151-85C3DB8F86CB.jpeg

86C83B4B-1B1C-4413-AA0A-2E9AF22FD3F5.jpeg

Probably of no help as it is exactly what you don’t want for do, but my install on the drivers side of the center console works well for me.
I have the Yaesu mounted to a Victory 4x4 molle panel, and it lives there unobtrusively.
One of the pictures shows my leg in my normal driving position…no contact with the radio body, and I don’t even notice the contact with the mic when it’s in its cradle.

View attachment 2696086

View attachment 2696087

View attachment 2696088
Thanks for posting. My son (orgx470) mounted his there and it didnt feel good to me.

You can pull the assembly containing the 12v outlet and ashtray out completely, then separate the outlet and ashtray from the outer shell and reinstall, leaving you a nice open space for a radio. Not a whole ton of space depth wise given the HVAC ductwork and whatnot is back there.

a switch panel currently lives in that space on mine and I have a kenwood 2m remote mounted in front of the cupholders with a little creativity.

View attachment 2702147
This is definitely something to look into. Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom