GX 460- Best Years and Trim for Family Hauling mild off-road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to replace my 2006 4runner with a GX 460 within the next year.

I am having 3rd child and the 3rd row seems like a must have option long term... also I want KDSS, enough said.

Personally I like 2010 to 2013 look and ground clearance better than the 2014+.

Are there big model year changes i should be aware of? Is there a specific package i should target (Premium)?

I would say i am not likely to mod this, maybe replace running boards with sliders once the kids get older.

Plan would be to keep for 5-10 years.

Depending on where you are, the 2010-2011 have the Takata airbag recalls going on. The newer ones up until early '17 (or late '16??) will eventually have the airbags recalled. It's not an "if", more of a "when" scenario now.

The other issue to be aware of is the secondary air pump on the pre-face lifted vehicles. I don't know the whole story, but it seems like the foam disintegrates and is consumed by the air pump.

Airbag vs standard steel suspension further down the line for reliability or suspension mods.

Apparently I haven't found how to edit a posted message....

Premium trim ('10-13) would probably be the way to go in terms of getting some extra goodies/options. BSM (blind spot monitoring) if needed is only a '14+ option.

Thanks!

Good to know about common issues, I will do some research on the air pump.
I like the idea of coil springs over the AHC, (my lexus has AHC- makes me nervous it is going to go out $$$), but the premium gets the upgraded Mark Levinston stereo which seems ideal. Thanks now i need to find one with ~45k for under $30K.
Thanks!

You can always get the premium with AHC that has all the other options you want, but then do a rear coil conversion when you lift or when the airbags go out.

I just realized that "Crawl Control" is not a standard option on the premium package. In the place of the DAC lever on some models it says speed and has a small button above it that has the multi-terrain select icon on it. I am nearly in closed on deal on a 2013 Premium, i just realized it doesn't have this option. I suppose for as much off roading that i do i likely do not need this... but still somewhat of a let down. I have been scouring Autotrader and Cars.com and cannot find ANY with this option. Either dealers are totally unaware of this package or it is super rare.

Pulled the trigger, could not be happier:

IMG_2718.JPG

Sweet ride, did you get all the options you wanted? How is the 3rd row on these? I've sat in my 470's for an hour long trip and it really wasn't as bad as most people say it is but I've heard they are better on the 460's.

Bump.

I'm shopping for these right now, will be trading in my 2002 LX470. Looking for any information to help me select the right year. Hoping for something newer, say 2013-2016. Trying to keep it under $40K.

Hey, i’ve Had the GX for about a 1.5 years since that last post. I love it, great ride great features, high quality and invincible in the snow. The only option package I didn’t get was the advanced safety that comes bundled with the Multi Terrain Select. BUT don’t worry I read that is a pretty easy mod to add th factory system and switch. I will be doing this soon. PM if you any other infor on impressions, I also have a LX470.

I have a 2013 premium and we love it. Before it turned into the monster it is now my wife was driving it daily. It is super comfortable and a great DD that can take you to the top of the mountains. In stock form its a great vehicle. I wish we had gotten one sooner honestly.

Bump.

I'm shopping for these right now, will be trading in my 2002 LX470. Looking for any information to help me select the right year. Hoping for something newer, say 2013-2016. Trying to keep it under $40K.

Sell your LX470 private party for more money. As for the GX460 get the vin number and check Lexus drivers websight for maintenance history on the vehicle. These vehicles were mostly mall crawlers and well taken care of. Be sure to get one that has everything you want & well taken care of.

Can't say enough good things about everything I've read/experienced with the GX!

Finally test-drove one a few weeks ago & loved it! Felt very premium & solid. Love Toyota reliability & have been down the 4X4 Toyota rabbit hole since purchasing at Tundra a year ago.

I do need a truck from time to time, but honestly, I wish I would've discovered the GX before I committed to getting one, might've made do with a trailer & went that route.

It's contender #1 for my wife's next vehicle though, otherwise it'll be on my list until I can get one as a third vehicle.

Best year and trim? Depends upon your wallet and do you really need the Premium edition?
Without premium will handle any fire trail, light beach and sand, snow and anything short of serious wheeling. Look at YouTube and you'll see lots of reviews of how these rigs handle off road! And in almost every year!
I WANTED the premium edition and I WANTED a 2013 because of the ability to put steel bumpers on it (it's a grill thing...).
I did my research and knew exactly what I wanted and found a pristine 2013 with only 38k miles owned by a mom with kids. Never off roaded, never used the sun roof, still had the plastic over the door sills and outside door handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom