Group Communications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RUSH55

SILVER Star
Threads
So this topic came up a little bit ago -

Group Communications

Since I’ve missed getting in on most the Pig Party/SSS trail runs, I’m out of the loop on what most of the guys are using.

I used to run a CB back in the day and used to enjoy the chatter on that platform, though from the sound of it, there are many other communication methods now.
As many as we can get on the same page, the better we can keep up as groups when getting together.

It was recommended to me today that I should get on the GMRS bandwagon. Is anyone else using that?

J Mack and myself used handhelds GMRS with one of mine messing up a bit. I would like to get a dash mounted one ( more power ). I used the CB when running the Cruise Moab events, but they faded in and out. I'm with you on the GMRS, but as usual I'll need help programming it. JIM!!!!!

Locally I run a cheap one of these (that technically should be liscensed) it works better with an external antenna.

One of our group bought a bunch together so I don’t know the specifics, nor did I program it.

58B1F9CB-81E2-488C-A8A7-E5A51BFD033F.jpeg

I just bought a Kenwood TH-K20A to replace the Baofeng radios that I have been using.
According to the guys in the know it should work better, I haven't used it yet so I can't say.

Studying for my ham license. Great range with 2m and if you program in Local area repeaters even better. It gets dusty here in Northern Nevada so we spread out. Group leader and tail gunners are licensed and using 2m mounted system. We then distribute handhelds through the group.

Have a technician (ham) license (KD5FGA).
I always think about upgrading but never find the time to cram for the test.

@PabloCruise is a general, I think.

Have a spare TM-D700A that I might mod (it’s one wire), and install in the 74.

I’m considering putting the Toyota CB40F in it as well. it’s not a great CB, but it is Toyota! (Fujitsu, actually).

We've been running these the past 5 yrs or so. Good price and good range. Run a private channel just for your group.
Mike

Screenshot_20210805-160521_Google.jpg

No need. We'll all be right behind you honking our horns and waving you down after you make another wrong turn while "discussing" your paper map with Jeri.

There’s always Congo drums!

Locally I run a cheap one of these (that technically should be liscensed) it works better with an external antenna.

One of our group bought a bunch together so I don’t know the specifics, nor did I program it.

View attachment 2750599

I believe a lot of people use these without license. Seems they want the function but not the trouble of getting a tech license. Perhaps the time spent off road , trails allows people to cheat. CB is exactly what it says , citizens band. Ham radio has a tier of learning, which comes privilege's for different frequencies. Then again, whoever said we follow laws anyway.

15 watt unit from Midland $150

40 watt unit for $300 (65 mile range)

Last edited:
So what I’m trying to find now is a bulkhead fitting (female to female) to go through the roof for the antenna. The antenna is called NMO which uses RG-58 coax cable.
After searching for awhile, the best I can find are these “N” type. I’m not sure yet if these would work or would be optimal.

33FF88FF-807C-4424-A892-840CDEFA8ADF.jpeg

If you want the N female

or

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom