Grinding while turning hard right, front drivers/middle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CloudCity

LuxCruisers
Threads
The household GX developed a sudden metallic, squeaky, grinding sound that has me stumped. Happens only while turned full lock to the right, was only while moving forward but did start to happen while reversing as well at one point. I know there's a few possibilities so here's a video where you can hear the sounds. Have not pulled wheels off but have turned each lock to lock and checked with flashlight, no obvious signs of anything dragging or making contact. Is this a suspension component? My first thought was something stuck behind the brake shroud but I no longer think so.

Here's the video:

That sounds a hell of a lot like the tire rubbing on something

It's been hot here but I plan to climb under today and pull off anything I can to investigate further. You're right tho, it has a distinct rubbery squeak to it. I believe the GX wheels "camber" a bit at full lock like the LX does?

Check lower arm bushings and upper arm bushings. stock yota ones tend to go out pretty quickly. great starting point, i dont think that 265/65r17 is going to rub on anything unless you have a blown hub and that wheel/tire is flopping over. lets us know what you find! :D

if it IS your bushings, energysuspension makes urethane replacements, but i HIGHLY recommend find a shop that will do the labor and while doing it, drill and tap a grease zerk (yes on both upper/lowers) to make them serviceable. otherwise, squeak city in no time at all. :) just food for thought!

Thank you and will keep you all advised!

Just to close the loop on this, the undershield was bent on the driver's side and was making contact with the tire. Quick fix.
I was told this happens sometimes when lazy mechanics change the oil filter and don't want to remove the 4-bolts on the shield to drop it, so they just bend it to get access. In our case it showed up suddenly so I'm gong with the theory that the "one that shall remain unnamed" person in the household who drives this rig probably hit something without fessing up to it. Same driver hit a curb in a BMW last week and shredded a tire so it would not be out of character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom