Grenaded front diff! Now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bhicks

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Yesterday the county opened up the roads to my house finally. Decided to head up the mountain to see how bad the snow was. Got to my road and had to deal with a huge six foot tall snow burm. Brilliant me, I decided to try to climb over it in the 100. Got high centered give it gas and kaboom went the front diff. I had to get a neighbor to yank me off the burm. I broke off about six teeth off the ring gear. I need to know what is a good alternative for this fix. Don't ask. I was just being stupid. What are my front locker options? Can I buy a complete OEM front diff assembly that just drops in or do I need to rebuild the front assembly with OEM parts? I'm getting ready to run 34s so are 4.56 gears available for the 100? This is an 03 LX470. How does a front locker affect the a-track? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to figure out what I should do with this situation and I need to get parts ordered ASAP. With all the snow I need this 100 roadworthy soon.

Bummer, sorry to hear.

Recent posting suggest bolt in OEM gearbox. The 98-99 bolt in the newer beefier 100's to take care of their weak spot. Could use a shop that just specializes in custom & OEM rebuilds.

Good question on the gearing, wish I could help.

Not cool. Sorry to hear.

Lockers. Rad.

Call Carl at JT Differentials in WA he can discuss all your options. They make Nitro gears which expect you will use.
You send them the 3rd member and they will send it back just the way you want it, gears, lockers, solid spacer, ready to bolt in.
If you are regearing need to send both front and rear 3rd member. I had JT replace my ARB in rear with a TJM locker as got tired of ARB blowing gear oil out at air compressor. Have ARB locker in front. Locker works just fine with A-Track, when an axle is locked no slippage so A-Track does not engage.

I have a front locker and Nitro Gears due to mistake climbing a big ledge at Cruise Moab, took 7 teeth off the ring gear.

Yikes - sorry to hear @bhicks.

Every time I go out in snow I've got this in the back of my mind.

I have been thinking about my purchase for the last few hours. My wife reminded me that I just ordered the BIOR rear bumper and front diff drop PLUS I just recently got the white knuckle sliders on. My budget is just about tapped out. That means I probably need to stick with the factory gearing so I don't have to regear the rear. Who has a good price and a complete OEM drop in 3rd member? I tried to go to the cruiser outfitters site but it's not working. Not sure if it's my computer or their site that is the issue.

So I'm looking for just the ring and pinion for the front 100 series and complete drop in 3rd members for the 100 but I'm coming up short. What gives? Marlin, SLEE, and a few others all have 80 series front diff stuff but nothing for the 100. where should I be looking for front diff stuff for the 100? This is the first time I have done a search like this for the 100.

Ditto Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. He did a killer job installing my ARB front and rear lockers.
What did that set you back? How long did he need your rig? The website is still not working but I will give them a call on Monday.

If you're looking to save money, you can get just the r&p from Nitro in the factory ratio. But, you've already broken it once and the amount of labor you're doing to replace the r&p is about the same for installing a locker, so I'd maybe look at eating Ramen for a few months and pony up for a locker now.

I imagine if I told my wife we'd be eating ramen so I could get a locker, she'd tell me to eat "you know what" and pack my (foot) locker. ;)

But x2 on the labor front. You're in there and this is one of the known weak spots of the 100. Both Carl and Kurt are stand-up dudes, I've traveled with both. Give them a call and talk about the options, something will pop out.

So I'm trying to look at all my options right now. I want to create a side by side comparison with going with a new r&p AND locker and just a new r&P installed. I just need to know what my current gear ratio is. I see 4.10 and 4.30 posted on some sites. What's in my 03 LX470? I even saw one site post 3.73 but I'm going to assume that is definitely wrong. Maybe a non US spec.

I found a complete rear locker from a 98'. It's a 4.30 gear ratio. You could probably get that for $400 if still available then another set of 4.3's with a locker?

What gearbox?
Just using as unspecific generic term.

Edit: Referring to Front differential changed from a 2 pinion to a 4 pinion unit in 2000. A number post where 89-99 have upgrade as a bolt-in (no major custom work needed)

Last edited:
Does detroit make a trutrac for the front 100 series?

So I'm trying to look at all my options right now. I want to create a side by side comparison with going with a new r&p AND locker and just a new r&P installed. I just need to know what my current gear ratio is. I see 4.10 and 4.30 posted on some sites. What's in my 03 LX470? I even saw one site post 3.73 but I'm going to assume that is definitely wrong. Maybe a non US spec.

You have 4.1

I found a complete rear locker from a 98'. It's a 4.30 gear ratio. You could probably get that for $400 if still available then another set of 4.3's with a locker?
Where did you find it? That's an e-locker correct? I would need the wiring harness, dash button, and a few other small things beyond just the locker right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom