Goose Gear 80 Series Engine Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stayed under some trees in Kansas. It was a nice spot by a lake in Junction Point.

tempImageqypyis.jpg

On the way back in Colorado I developed a couple of problems. I started smelling a gas smell in Aspen. I knew it wasn't the charcoal canister, because I just replaced it like 18 months ago. I checked under the hood and found that the evap line had a hole in it. I stopped at a NAPA and they informed me that they don't sell any parts related to emissions in Colorado. I bought a pair of wire cutters (which I inexplicably didn't have in my tool roll) and cut the damaged part off and re-attached. Got on my phone and ordered new ones from my local Toyota dealer.
tempImagegvX8Pw.jpg

When I got almost all the way to the bottom of the Rockies my air conditioner quit working. A little while later my check engine light went on and it showed a PO330 code. I ordered some knock sensors from partsouq. When I got to my hotel in Utah I checked and somewhere along the line my AC belt broke. I also noticed it had a taken a small chunk out of the fan belt. I went to another NAPA in Cedar City, Utah and got an AC belt, which I replaced in the parking lot of the hotel. The cleaning lady kept giving me the stink eye for working on my car, but you gotta do what you gotta do. NAPA wanted about $45 for the fan/alternator belts, so I didn't buy them there. I didn't want to take the time and effort to change them in the parking lot as well so I went to an AutoZone and purchased the cheapest one possible. I figure if the belt broke on the highway I would do a field fix. I put my Ultra Gauge to show the engine temp and headed home. I ended up making it home without incident and ordered the belts from my same local Toyota dealer. I bought two sets plus an AC belt to go in my parts bag that I keep with me at all times. Two sets of V-belts and the AC belt were under $30! Take that NAPA. I then returned the other belt to AutoZone - I'm not putting that crap on my vehicle.

All-in-all, I was very pleased with how the GG80 handled on this trip. I will say that it was an absolute tractor going up the Rockies around Vail where I could only max out at around 40 mph. The temp reading was at 230 degrees, but quickly settled down to around 195 degrees once I got past the peek. The air conditioner ran ice cold (until the belt broke) and I ended up getting around 14.5 mpg - which as more than I expected. I ended up using a little under 370 gallons of fuel on the trip. My 80 drives like a 70s Cadillac. My dogs were plenty comfortable in the back on their bed. I look forward to the next opportunity to take it out on a trip.

FWIW I only run Toyota fan belts because they come as a matched set.
Same for the AC belt for the Quality.

I stopped at a NAPA and they informed me that they don't sell any parts related to emissions in Colorado.
This is madness and people rag on California.
From what I read on mud smog checks or more stringent in Colorado and more frequent in Arizona.
Seems crazy that you cannot buy a piece of fuel line in Colorado makes no sense whatsoever.
California has its fair share of issues but we have so many beautiful places at our fingertips, for me makes it totally worthwhile.
I was surfing with my daughter a mile from my house on the 4th of July, walking the dog with my wife the next day on a beautiful Trail a few miles from the house.
Hard to beat life on the Central Coast.
1657121895747.png

Hijack over !!

Cheers

Last edited:
This is madness and people rag on California.
From what I read on mud smog checks or more stringent in Colorado and more frequent in Arizona.
Seems crazy that you cannot buy a piece of fuel line in Colorado makes no sense whatsoever.
California has its fair share of issues but we have so many beautiful places at our fingertips for me makes it totally worthwhile.
I was surfing with my daughter a mile from my house on the 4th of July, walking the dog with my wife the next day on a beautiful Trail a few miles from the house.
Hard to beat life on the Central Coast.
View attachment 3051580
Hijack over !!

Cheers
No state is without issues. As you said, California certainly has them too, but there is a reason why the property is valued the way it is.

Well, I finally got around to getting the knock sensor replaced. I had injured my knee towards the end of the summer and have been rehabbing it ever since. I finally was fit enough to tackle the problem. The most difficult part was actually just finding the rear knock sensor. The FSM is of no use in trying to locate it. I finally found a Tube video that showed where it was. After finding it it was easy to take off and replace. I was hoping it was not the connector because I didn't want to re-wire that. Fortunately, it was just the sensor itself. I snapped on the clip and cleared the code and it has been good ever since.

I bought two knock sensors so I will have one when the front one goes out.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures of this project. It was not a photo worthy project. I was too busy at the time, as well.

Well, I finally got around to getting the knock sensor replaced. I had injured my knee towards the end of the summer and have been rehabbing it ever since. I finally was fit enough to tackle the problem. The most difficult part was actually just finding the rear knock sensor. The FSM is of no use in trying to locate it. I finally found a Tube video that showed where it was. After finding it it was easy to take off and replace. I was hoping it was not the connector because I didn't want to re-wire that. Fortunately, it was just the sensor itself. I snapped on the clip and cleared the code and it has been good ever since.

I bought two knock sensors so I will have one when the front one goes out.

Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures of this project. It was not a photo worthy project. I was too busy at the time, as well.
Came across this yesterday; for future reference. Photos cribbed from @flintknapper's post (linked below)...

1670811576723.png

1670814438517.png

1670814500868.png

Last edited:
Came across this yesterday; for future reference. Cribbed from @flintknapper's post (linked below; additional photos there)...

View attachment 3191289

I will definitely being using this in the future for reference!

Did a small project this weekend. I replaced the fusible link. I didn't take any pictures because it is such a small project. I ordered two of them from Amayama and put the spare in my bag. I didn't order the junction box because it looked good. I decided I would order one if it broke when I went to replace it. It broke. Honestly, I don't think it matters. However, I did order one from my local Toyota dealer and will pick it up this week.

Escape Gear does not make the covers for the cloth seats I have. Consequently there is a hole where the seat controllers on the leather seats would be. The leather headrests must be bigger than the cloth ones because the headrest covers were quite baggy when I put them on.
tempImageAhWPHo.jpg

Did a small project this weekend. I replaced the fusible link. I didn't take any pictures because it is such a small project. I ordered two of them from Amayama and put the spare in my bag. I didn't order the junction box because it looked good. I decided I would order one if it broke when I went to replace it. It broke. Honestly, I don't think it matters. However, I did order one from my local Toyota dealer and will pick it up this week.

Why order such a small part from Amayama? Part of a larger order?

I did install my Escape Gear seat covers this weekend as well. I ordered the grey ones instead of the tan ones. I did not like the tan Escape Gear chose. It has the look of the ugly color that the exotic car makers like Ferrari and Lambo use. 

Let us know how you like those. If they're made out of the same material as their tire covers they should hold up well.

I guess only time will tell. I've had the tire cover for a year. Slight fading but way less than I'd expect since it's the black one. Certainly hasn't turned pink like cheap black nylon will and every time I rotate my tires it comes on and off easily. Still flexible. Not crunchy. I'd call that a win.

18 or so months later and I have had no issues with the new engine. It has run perfectly. The starter went out last month and I replaced it with a re-manned Denso. Other than than the engine purrs and feels rock solid.

Excellent read…I migrated over from the 40 series section for research. Exploring possibilities with a 1Fz transplant. I liked your approach with the “new kit”. Well done. 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom