Builds Good luck Kiichiro! A build story. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any plans for a build other than cosmetics??
Not sure. New wheels and tires are going to be going on as soon as I find a nice set I like but besides that nothing really. Would love to swap the engine from a v4 to a v8 but that is very expensive and I’m only with the car once a year so it’s staying like this.

the one I’m looking at and an image of another one on the sale block.

View attachment 2317322View attachment 2317329
Looking forward to hearing more about this! It looks like quite a better option for carrying a full size (but oversized) spare than a bumper or hitch mounted thing.

:arghh:Grille is on without issue after getting the replacement fender on. Would kill for an extra set of hands right now on this front bumper...

EBCFDE3D-90D7-4E73-B339-A3F4353A5A67.jpeg

C8142DB9-E247-4697-A3C9-B8AA6EFCA8A1.jpeg

I may actually look for a bumper at this point. Why not?? Something high clearance and low profile. last is to get a good. Also I ordered some Prado roof rails and will build a poor mans roof rack with those. Wiring and splicing time.

3FEE6707-D2D4-40C3-BF4C-A2C0288215DB.jpeg

As I contemplate a bumper I’m thinking along these lines. Max clearance, high and tight. Nothings easy...

0BB7BE83-484B-4597-8017-7A4C802DDC48.jpeg

96431470-E9BD-496A-9CED-C2DA20248123.jpeg

I like that bumper (above) if you can get one for your rig!

I like that bumper (above) if you can get one for your rig!

thanks r2m. As it turns out I’ve decided to put up the GX for sale...

been pushing something that I feel good about and in order to free up some funds I’ve decided to list. I’ll also part with my 2000 4Runner; plan to part it out then donate it to a local veterans charity. i will revert back to the original front ahead of a sale. I plan to get into another 460 when the time comes. it’s been a great ride and all in all and I’ll miss this thing a lot. Posted already to the classifieds. Throwing in my air compressor and Comeup Stealth winch at the asking price.

thanks r2m. As it turns out I’ve decided to put up the GX for sale...

been pushing something that I feel good about and in order to free up some funds I’ve decided to list. I’ll also part with my 2000 4Runner; plan to part it out then donate it to a local veterans charity. i will revert back to the original front ahead of a sale. I plan to get into another 460 when the time comes. it’s been a great ride and all in all and I’ll miss this thing a lot. Posted already to the classifieds. Throwing in my air compressor and Comeup Stealth winch at the asking price.

It's all good, at the end of the day it's just a vehicle and you can easily replace it in the future. Any hints about this new venture?

It's all good, at the end of the day it's just a vehicle and you can easily replace it in the future. Any hints about this new venture?
Exactly!

for a long time I’ve wanted to get into real estate but never took the steps. Finally made a great contact who builds custom homes and the more we talked the more I’ve worked to educate myself on building and investing: codes, licenses, etc. Rather than tapping into my savings immediately I want to free up some things, this included, and move forward from there. I’ll definitely be in another GX or maybe a 200 when the time comes but for the short term it’s worth the sacrifice. and like you said, it can always be replaced. It sucks but thinking long term it’s a short term sacrifice. I’ll get to live vicariously through you fellas in the mean time 😂

Good success in real estate.

Sorry to see you depart this build - it was certainly one of the most interesting and quirky (in a good way) - coverting the GX into a prado...

I'd be interested to look into the zenki licence plate surround and didn't find your source through google search, or quick pass through your notes here. Any leads?...

Good success in real estate.

Sorry to see you depart this build - it was certainly one of the most interesting and quirky (in a good way) - coverting the GX into a prado...

I'd be interested to look into the zenki licence plate surround and didn't find your source through google search, or quick pass through your notes here. Any leads?...

Lol thanks man! I sent you a link to one in you DM. Two people have reached out to me so far but what I’ll do is keep the posting active for a week and if I still have it I’ll put the GX garnish back on and you and I can talk About me selling you the Zenki garnish.

Just want to dido the above comments on bemoaning the sale of your rig.
You've been a great contributor to this forum, even if you've been marching to the beat of your own drum. But again that's what this whole forum is about, our own adventures of building our vehicles to our tastes and functionality so our rigs don't look like the soccer Mom that just pulled along side you at the stop light, all the while reaching the full potential of what Lexus/Toyota has engineered into these vehicles
I think everyone who has done any serious tinkering on their rigs have benefited from something you've contributed in your posts.
In short, wishing the best in your new venture! 🤞

Just want to dido the above comments on bemoaning the sale of your rig.
You've been a great contributor to this forum, even if you've been marching to the beat of your own drum. But again that's what this whole forum is about, our own adventures of building our vehicles to our tastes and functionality so our rigs don't look like the soccer Mom that just pulled along side you at the stop light, all the while reaching the full potential of what Lexus/Toyota has engineered into these vehicles
I think everyone who has done any serious tinkering on their rigs have benefited from something you've contributed in your posts.
In short, wishing the best in your new venture! 🤞

That means a lot r2m! I have certainly benefited immensely off of here. Wish I were a little more active but such is life. Definitely feel confident about the direction of things and look forward to participating again in the near future. And hell if I don't sell it then I get to keep hanging out with you fine fellas :D

Me and ol' frog eyes have had a good run. Searched for a long time for this thing and guess I didn't realize how rare it was till I was cruising cars.com last night looking for similar specs.

This really is a great forum; I like the fact that although it says 150, basically every post here is on the 460 and not the Runner. Plus people here have a depth of knowledge that I have benefited greatly from. I lament not getting it off the pavement and onto the beaten path but that's why I'm excited about trip reports and updates from everyone on here. I'll definitely still be around! ;)

Sorry to hear you'll be selling the GX, but I respect the decision. I loved watching your build and I was really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Do you have a link to where you're selling the rig/parts? I'm interested in some of the JDM parts.

Sorry to hear you'll be selling the GX, but I respect the decision. I loved watching your build and I was really looking forward to seeing the finished product. Do you have a link to where you're selling the rig/parts? I'm interested in some of the JDM parts.
Thanks man, by your name I can see that you too are a fan. Well I’ve had one person reach out about the tailgate garnish so in a week if no active movement on the sale I’ll swap it with the original and offer to them for sale. All items on the front end including the bumper, lights, grill and fenders for the time being I‘m planning to store for the future revamp but would consider parting with if someone wants to finish up where I left off. If there is something you’re interested in shoot me a PM; would be nice to see someone close the deal even if it’s Not me.

I’ll also part with my 2000 4Runner; plan to part it out then donate it to a local veterans charity.

Very honorable and generous!!!

Best of luck and see you back in the future 👍

Very honorable and generous!!!

Best of luck and see you back in the future 👍
Lol thanks man!! Always enjoy your write ups!! And I‘m gonna be lurking just do I stay committed!!

Today with some help I was able to install the Prado step covers over my OEM aluminum rails. Took some cutting and dremmeling but it came together quite well. I also am able to use the stick puddles which I upgraded to Philips bulbs. These steps have a slimmer profile over stock and still allow me the option of going to another beefier setup if I choose to in the future.

please forgive the pics being wonky; not sure how to correct on my phone.
2A0373B8-4A3D-4916-A06C-F3A01B345721.jpeg
7F4F0376-411D-4DE4-9EEF-3137F5B01642.jpeg
632B7C5C-ECC5-4CCA-A80C-EB2354D1C189.jpeg
E6A23820-B3A2-4CAD-8983-9A5ACAF9F17A.jpeg
165624D0-A8D3-47D3-99EF-604BFA9C6A2F.jpeg

Led lighting swap in interior:

completed all interior swap to LEDs. I use the Philips 194 white bulbs. These are fantastic bulbs and I have been very satisfied with them. In order to do the swap you will need a dozen for the interior. this will cover your four doors, visors up front and six overhead lights. They are a simple plug and play but note that they are marked for the positive. Test your lights before you button anything up! I use some audio prying tools that I purchased online. If you’re like me and have trouble removing any of these lights, there’s a simple trick you can use. Simply get some clear tape with a width in excess of an inch. Make a U shape being careful not to allow the tops of the U to touch. Next, wrap your tops around the bulb that’s causing issues and simply pull out or away from the holder. This will save you much grief during the process. Unless you’re looking for a good time Please use plastic pry tools ONLY as you do not want to use metal and have it touch your light base my mistake. Also, pry at the clear covers only! Don’t be tempted to drop down the entire housing of any of these lights as there is no need.

Additionally, you can use the 194s for your two courtesy lights from and rear of the 10-13. Also, if you have the puddles in your running boards you want 194s as well.
Breakdown:

2x3 overheads: 6
Visors: 2
Doors: 4

12 interior.

10-13 front and rear courtesy lights: 4
Puddles if equipped: 4

8 exterior

——————
TOTAL of 20 lights.
BD8B5C83-2833-48ED-BFF5-9D173E531139.jpeg
7C62F571-C394-44D3-AED7-4797ADB57D5F.jpeg
3E0B314E-7352-4710-BDBA-766BAFF18674.jpeg
71BD84F7-3A8B-4DEC-94A9-DD6CD031A077.jpeg

+1 for using tape. I was going nuts trying to get some of those bulbs out until I figured out that trick. Thanks for the recommendation on using the Philips bulbs. I’m currently using cheap LEDs from Amazon, but I’ll be swapping them out for for Philips when they start going out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom