Builds Good luck Kiichiro! A build story. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

+1 for using tape. I was going nuts trying to get some of those bulbs out until I figured out that trick. Thanks for the recommendation on using the Philips bulbs. I’m currently using cheap LEDs from Amazon, but I’ll be swapping them out for for Philips when they start going out.

sure thing man!! You’ve got plenty of choices out there but I’m really liking these. I found them on Amazon as well; little pricier than others I think but you won’t be disappointed. Look forward to the updates LCPrado!

Glad to see you're still posting!
And some good tips to boot!!

Glad to see you're still posting!
And some good tips to boot!!
Thanks R2M; I’ve pulled the sale on the truck after putting more thought into it. Just haven’t enjoyed it like I should and the plans will still move forward.

:steer: Here‘s to some good time and more money thrown down the pit 😂

Thanks R2M; I’ve pulled the sale on the truck after putting more thought into it. Just haven’t enjoyed it like I should and the plans will still move forward.

KUDOS GreenbowCounty!

KUDOS GreenbowCounty!

I think a lot of us are looking forward to seeing this project finished. Glad you’re sticking around!

I’m a new owner of a 2010 GX460, and I hope to do a Prado conversion too. Thanks for sharing the details of your build so far, and I’m really glad you decided to continue it.

I have been actively searching for the necessary parts/hardware, and it’s a bit of a challenge to say the least...I will have to pick your brain to help with some of the more difficult details of finding/buying/shipping.

We are all cheering on the build progress. I’m sure many would give a helping hand if any of us were local.

I’m a new owner of a 2010 GX460, and I hope to do a Prado conversion too. Thanks for sharing the details of your build so far, and I’m really glad you decided to continue it.

I have been actively searching for the necessary parts/hardware, and it’s a bit of a challenge to say the least...I will have to pick your brain to help with some of the more difficult details of finding/buying/shipping.

We are all cheering on the build progress. I’m sure many would give a helping hand if any of us were local.

Hey man that is a big thank you comment there. I'm glad I decided to keep it too. Things are rolling in the right direction outside of the truck and as far as the truck goes...well I hope to have some good news shortly. It's good to see more 460s popping up:D, hopefully it'll make a bum like me up my game lol;);).

I will do a full and proper write up upon completing the conversion and if you have any questions please feel free to reach out. Looking forward to your build as well!

Akaso Mirror Installation

From time to time I like to glance the Toyota Japan site and YouTube channel for new features on vehicles. One I happened upon was a back up camera with live feed to the rear view mirror. I dismissed it as first but the more I looked into it I found out how useful a mod like this is. The system allows you to get a better image of what's going on without any obstruction of the back row. Also, keep in mind that many of us have plans for systems, etc. that would otherwise hinder or render the rear view unit useless. The more I read and researched the more prevalent this idea is; in fact there are cameras that will allow you to record video and beyond that there are others that will have a front mounted camera as well, capable of recording video front and rear. Needless to say it's a great idea from a safety and security point. There are a lot of functions built into these things and a number of manufacturers. In the end I purchased from Amazon an Akaso unit. Reasonably priced at $120; I picked up a 128 gb memory card as well to accommodate.

Youtube video showcasing the unit. This guy does a fantastic job.

As far as the install goes it is for the most part straightforward. I was fortunate enough to have some help which made the process go much quicker. Below is the unit ahead of unboxing.
6B53B9BE-7B1E-47B7-88AA-3E6B418E7455.jpeg

Tools you'll need:
Pry tools, various sizes: for the plastic rivets, etc
Electrical tape
Wire hanger to fish wires at tailgate
10mm rachet
unnamed.jpg

1. Line up the unit in front of your rearview mirror; leave space to the left so that the front facing camera is not obstructed. Use the rubber attachments to secure the unit to your mirror. Once you've got the unit in place you want to decide how to run your wires. There are three wires from the top of the unit: Power, GPS, rear camera.
Power for the time being is running straight down to the 12v plug below the radio.
GPS is at the far left, top of the windshield; I did not want to run it to the right due to the fact that I'd use this for the rear camera
Rear camera runs to the right behind the headliner, down the A pillar and below the floor panels. In order to make it look factory this was the only real route to go since the door hinge is on the right.

Most of the panels you have to run wire under or through are easily pried up with minimal pressure. Just don't get too carried away in the process.
Resized_20200719_183842.jpg

The rear camera is the most involved of the three; in the future I will hard wire the unit. More than likely I will use the round glove box blank to install another 12v plug and tap into that. You have a good bit of working room above the headliner. I was quite surprised how easy it is to tuck wiring up there. Below is the most involved part of the process: working the cabling through the conduit from the rear storage area to the tailgate. We removed the cover for the socket in the rear to get to the conduit. Simply pry at the corners and remove.
138E1E0E-FA33-4B06-8D52-8936478D3576.jpeg

When it comes to removing the rear tailgate pieces I removed the top piece first, then the sides and finally the bottom. There is a 10mm bolt behind the storage hatch. Additionally there is a philips head screw in the door handle area hidden under a plastic cap. The bottom has a number of plastic fasteners. Pry these out carefully. You will likely damage some but don't fret. I was able to reuse all of the damaged ones by simply prying them up and replacing them back in the cover. I wanted a clean install which is what you see below. We pulled back the plastic covering in the tailgate and ran the wires through in a effort to run it up the door, tied in to existing wiring. In the tailgate when running wiring make sure you wrap electrical tape around your wiring where it touches metal. This is minimize chafing and extend life of the wiring.
D614281C-47E6-4B64-8325-85FAC3469652.jpeg

Last edited:
Akaso Mirror Installation part 2

In the tailgate when running wiring make sure you wrap electrical tape around your wiring where it touches metal. This is minimize chafing and extend life of the wiring.
B2DFEADD-9283-466E-A4DC-F2259092F869.jpeg

You get some adhesive and self tapping screws with the unit; sorry for the sideways pic here (if an admin can straighten it that would be appreciated). We played around with it before finally seating the camera. For the time being I only have adhesive on; I want to drive around a little first and see if the positioning is best before screwing down.
E38019B1-CC08-4816-B288-C7612208F958.jpeg

Here we are buttoning things up; you have plenty of wiring to run from the unit to the top of the tailgate. The red wire allows you to tap into your reverse light. Doing so will activate the rear camera.
9F6CE5F0-767F-4F94-BE44-5128A0D94A7B.jpeg

Below is a shot of the unit installed with a live shot from the rear. It's grainy in the photo but that's not the case with the actual unit. All in all I'm happy with the install and will add more to this writeup in a effort to perfect it as I imagine this might appeal to more people.
66DA05EB-4675-4B2D-B83F-FA808EA19E3C.jpeg

Time wise it took us an hour and a half and that was made easier with the extra hands and tools at the ready.

Last edited:
that is a lot of effort. i know because i did the same with my 4runner lol. i’m glad you’re sticking around 👍 the mirror is a great idea

that is a lot of effort. i know because i did the same with my 4runner lol. i’m glad you’re sticking around 👍 the mirror is a great idea

Lol, thanks on both fronts. Glad to be sticking around myself.

I too am happy to hear that this project will be seen through to completion. I love the Prado rear tail lights and wish that they were a plug-n-play option for our 460's. Get it built, show it off, do a detailed write-up and then sell it after you've enjoyed it for a bit.

I too am happy to hear that this project will be seen through to completion. I love the Prado rear tail lights and wish that they were a plug-n-play option for our 460's. Get it built, show it off, do a detailed write-up and then sell it after you've enjoyed it for a bit.

Haha, well said! Looks like you've got a doppleganger out there in the form of Lifestyle Overland. Think they fell in love with your setup and are emulating it on IG and the Tube!

Haha, well said! Looks like you've got a doppleganger out there in the form of Lifestyle Overland. Think they fell in love with your setup and are emulating it on IG and the Tube!

Lol, we do have very similar setups, I can't bring myself to buy a Victory roof rack now because of it haha. Let it be known that my build was first, not the other way around lol. In all honesty, there are so many white GX's out there being built and with so few quality modification options it's inevitable that many builds will look similar. A rack and rear bumper are next, just so many other things going on in my life right now, it's hard to stay focused on this build lol.

Lol, we do have very similar setups, I can't bring myself to buy a Victory roof rack now because of it haha. Let it be known that my build was first, not the other way around lol. In all honesty, there are so many white GX's out there being built and with so few quality modification options it's inevitable that many builds will look similar. A rack and rear bumper are next, just so many other things going on in my life right now, it's hard to stay focused on this build lol.

Lol, I know what you mean! There definitely has been an uptick in the past few months of new owners; glad to see many joining the forum and learning from the threads. I'm convinced that the 460 is fast becoming the new 5th Gen 4Runner which could be a great thing or an altogether bad one lol. Nice to see more fabricators scrambling to develop product: Demello, CBI, 4x4labs, you name it. Dissent is one I'd like to see added to that list but they have no plans right now. You've definitely gotta build something that suits you and your purpose...even if you don't wanna get that awesome Victory rack lol!!! :rofl:

Lol, I know what you mean! There definitely has been an uptick in the past few months of new owners; glad to see many joining the forum and learning from the threads. I'm convinced that the 460 is fast becoming the new 5th Gen 4Runner which could be a great thing or an altogether bad one lol. Nice to see more fabricators scrambling to develop product: Demello, CBI, 4x4labs, you name it. Dissent is one I'd like to see added to that list but they have no plans right now. You've definitely gotta build something that suits you and your purpose...even if you don't wanna get that awesome Victory rack lol!!! :rofl:

If I were local to Dissent I'd gladly offer up my GX for them to use in order to build a rear bumper. It would force me to drive the LX more too lol.

I think the GX will continue to become more popular in this realm as it it addresses all of the 4Runner's short comings and it's more comfortable and oddly enough more affordable on the second hand market. Who knows what the next Gen 4Runner and GX will be like but the rumors are that the GX will be gone altogether, hopefully they make a new model based off of the 6th Gen 4Runner instead of creating yet another crossover. If that happens then these 460's will start to appreciate a bit as the supply falls off.

I returned the Front Runner rack so now it's down to the Victory and Rhino with the Back Bone system and at this point I should just toss a coin or pick straws lol.

I think the GX will continue to become more popular in this realm as it it addresses all of the 4Runner's short comings and it's more comfortable and oddly enough more affordable on the second hand market.
:cheers: I second this statement all day! Anything you can put on a 4R you can do the same and more with the GX; pound for pound you get a more comfortable, powerful vehicle. Like you said, the 2nd hand marketplace is a great place to scoop up a well maintained 460.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a future GX. These things make money and with the 300 scheduled for release next year I'm convinced you'll see the 180 platform in 2022 or 2023 (6th Gen 4R, 180 Prado, GX4??). Prado always follows LC and in that vein I expect we'll see a more modern 180 series GX in 2022. If nothing else Toyota is consistent. Plus, soccer moms aren't going anywhere my friend ;)

I contacted Dissent and was surprised to get a response that they have no plans...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not a fan of the Southern Style or Prinsu??

I see Prado production in China ended last month

A little history

I see Prado production in China ended last month

A little history

Interesting find; with this I imagine that the Tahara, Japan plant will see more production numbers. I believe it's always been the lion's share manufacturer of the GX/Prado and 4Runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom