Builds Good luck Kiichiro! A build story. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like remaining factory aside from Tahara is the following:

India: Bangalore

The Wiki lists this plant but Toyota pulled out in 2015
Russia: Vladivostok (2013–present)

Interesting. Be cool if they shifted some production to North America similar to the Tacoma. With China now out of the Prado market that leaves Bangalore and Tahara to serve all those markets in Asia, Russia, not to mention North America....I'm interested to see what this leads to. @Tex68w you may have been onto something after all.

The other thing too is why didn't the local authorities give them more time to develop the drivetrain to conform to local standards?? China is a huge economy and I'm surprised they didn't work more with Toyota to secure the boom that comes from production numbers like that.

Dealer conference rumors from early part of the year...

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 3.37.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 3.37.40 PM.png

Dealer conference rumors from early part of the year...

View attachment 2378353View attachment 2378354
I can understand the V8 going away. Needless to say there will be plenty of, “Bring back a v8 GX!!” Crowd. With the on again off again nature of government and fuel efficiencies it makes sense to axe the v8 to be more in line with environmentally ‘friendly’ engineering while minimizing risk of EPA failure.

I’m laughing at the fact that the GS will get dropped in favor of a Lexus Mirai, they better do some serious tinkering to appeal to the market.

:cheers: I second this statement all day! Anything you can put on a 4R you can do the same and more with the GX; pound for pound you get a more comfortable, powerful vehicle. Like you said, the 2nd hand marketplace is a great place to scoop up a well maintained 460.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a future GX. These things make money and with the 300 scheduled for release next year I'm convinced you'll see the 180 platform in 2022 or 2023 (6th Gen 4R, 180 Prado, GX4??). Prado always follows LC and in that vein I expect we'll see a more modern 180 series GX in 2022. If nothing else Toyota is consistent. Plus, soccer moms aren't going anywhere my friend ;)

I contacted Dissent and was surprised to get a response that they have no plans...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not a fan of the Southern Style or Prinsu??

The SSO rack is nice but the side rail is busy and it’s pricey for a modular rack. I had a Prinsu on the TRD Pro and while I think it’s a good looking rack I think the design is dated and the fit and finish weren’t on par with the price. The mounting system is a joke and nearly every piece of hardware on the thing was tarnished in a year.

Of the modular racks I like Victory and Sherpa but the angle of the wind deflector on the Sherpa bothers me. It’s either going to a Victory or a Rhino Rack for me.

In regards to the future of the GX, I’m pretty certain the model is going away and we will have something with a totally different name replacing it. Hopefully it’s still a BOF 4x4.

The SSO rack is nice but the side rail is busy and it’s pricey for a modular rack. I had a Prinsu on the TRD Pro and while I think it’s a good looking rack I think the design is dated and the fit and finish weren’t on par with the price. The mounting system is a joke and nearly every piece of hardware on the thing was tarnished in a year.

Of the modular racks I like Victory and Sherpa but the angle of the wind deflector on the Sherpa bothers me. It’s either going to a Victory or a Rhino Rack for me.

In regards to the future of the GX, I’m pretty certain the model is going away and we will have something with a totally different name replacing it. Hopefully it’s still a BOF 4x4.

I took a liking to the SSO rack at first but the price has definitely creeped up a bit; now at over $1200. I do agree that the side is a bit busy. Prinsu is what I keep going back to but I do remember looking into the Rhino. The Sherpa is good. Several months back I reached out to Uptop Overland; they were looking for a test vehicle. Looks like they have something after all. Take a look; look forward to your thoughts @Tex68w .

I was wondering where the hell you were lol :D
Ha-ha! As an officer in the Army reserves, sometimes I get buckled with a lot of duties beyond my "once-a-month" commitment. Also, spent Saturday with our off road club doing some beautiful and awesome wheeling in our local hills! I'd post some pictures, but my wife hasn't had a chance to upload the photos from her phone to our Amazon photos site so I can get to them.

Ha-ha! As an officer in the Army reserves, sometimes I get buckled with a lot of duties beyond my "once-a-month" commitment. Also, spent Saturday with our off road club doing some beautiful and awesome wheeling in our local hills! I'd post some pictures, but my wife hasn't had a chance to upload the photos from her phone to our Amazon photos site so I can get to them.
Look forward to seeing them and thanks for your commitment my friend!

Reactions: r2m
I took a liking to the SSO rack at first but the price has definitely creeped up a bit; now at over $1200. I do agree that the side is a bit busy. Prinsu is what I keep going back to but I do remember looking into the Rhino. The Sherpa is good. Several months back I reached out to Uptop Overland; they were looking for a test vehicle. Looks like they have something after all. Take a look; look forward to your thoughts @Tex68w .

Lot's of features but that's just too much going on for my taste. It's nice to see more offerings though, I hope they keep coming.

Side mirror open/close on demand mod

purchased an OEM Prado 150 kit to allow the side views to fold in when the vehicle is locked and to extend out when the vehicle is unlocked. Functions both from the remote and door handle.
C5C4D029-90DB-4689-AE7D-BADBF92B2348.jpeg

So far only one item to figure out and that’s which wire or wires to tap into behind the mirror switch.
F1BFA419-2154-46B1-B842-88A97A5EA1B0.jpeg

The instructions call for tapping the included tap into the peach 🍑 colored wire behind the 16 pin mirror harness however the 460 does not have said wire in the slot. Instead we have a white with black stripe. Depending on the color of the harness, the tap location varies. What you see in the following picture is the harness in question however the specified wire in the diagram is the far left white one with a black stripe.
E42D83EC-2F35-49E6-AA3A-9C47110DCD5F.jpeg
27DC4896-9D89-45B0-B406-B69C4AA09ECD.jpeg

The back of the GX switch; thanks to @22Eyunu35VO . I’ll be digging thorough wiring guides in an effort to determine the correct tap. everything is still fully functional after installing the controller and wiring harness to existing harnesses. Just have to figure this piece out.

Last edited:
That is one feature that I enjoy on our LX, it gives me visual confirmation that I have locked the truck. I'd be interested in this mod if you figure it out and it's as simple as a harness swap.

That is one feature that I enjoy on our LX, it gives me visual confirmation that I have locked the truck. I'd be interested in this mod if you figure it out and it's as simple as a harness swap.

it boggles the mind that this isn’t on the GX. I agree; greet feature.

I actually leverage an OBD module for auto mirror folding. It also adds in auto-close for the windows on a lock operation. This can get in the way of vehicle monitoring if you have to swap modules though.

I actually leverage an OBD module for auto mirror folding. It also adds in auto-close for the windows on a lock operation. This can get in the way of vehicle monitoring if you have to swap modules though.

Yeh, I found a number of OBD linked brands but am wanting to keep it OEM if possible. I'll take a look at the link and thanks! As of now everything is still functional with the vehicle harness and secondary harness so I'm hoping once I figure out the tap that it's a done deal.

The 460 is considered the top of the 150 series so I find it interesting that Toyota put this on the Prado but not the GX. As @Tex68w pointed out, common on the LX; doesn't sound like the 2020 has this either:confused:

On the tech side...your wired option is best as it also allows for more flexible use of vehicle when it comes to OBD.

OBD splitters can be spotty at working... some things work together and other don't. I think this can crop up when you have multiple bi-directional devices active at the same time.

On the tech side...your wired option is best as it also allows for more flexible use of vehicle when it comes to OBD.

OBD splitters can be spotty at working... some things work together and other don't. I think this can crop up when you have multiple bi-directional devices active at the same time.

This is something I came across when I was searching! I was looking at a Prado thread where a guy dud the OBD where he tapped into a hot and was quickly encouraged not to do so because it would lead to issues.

Thanks for the thread link too man! Good information on there. Once I sort this out I’ll definitely do a write up.

I have a physical/factory '12 460 wiring diagram book too. There can be some wiring differences between the Eurasian and North American models. Let me know if you want confirmation on something you are seeing in the electronic version.

s-l1600.jpg

I have a physical/factory '12 460 wiring diagram book too. There can be some wiring differences between the Eurasian and North American models. Let me know if you want confirmation on something you are seeing in the electronic version.

s-l1600.jpg
You are the man. I’m needing to confirm that on the driver side there is a green wire tied to power for the mirror. This is behind the kick panel on one of the two harnesses that I tied in to the OEM harness. On the passenger side this wire is red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom