Giving Lexus a taste (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This week I got my new PS pump installed. Mostly. It seems 10 tiny fingers made their way into my bolt container in my garage and made off with one of the 3 bolts that hood the PS pump on. Anyways, ordered some new ones. I had used a part store idler pulley, and it bugged me enough to order an oem one. Here’s a comparison, even the gates has the same exact bearing and the pulley is made in Canada. It’s a quality part and I’ll put it on the shelf as a spare. I used PS hoses (off the rese) from Witt’s and new oem clamps .

I have a few parts on order, the rear high center stop lamp assembly new oem. Pricey, to say the least. I also reached out to Jason at cruiser outfitters and ordered a set of arb side rails and steps to match my from bumper, I was inspired by Kurt’s 100 build, which is excellent.

Dropped my front seats off at the upholstery shop early this week with new leather, expecting a 2-3 week turnaround on those. It’s all coming to a close!

View attachment 3268644View attachment 3268645View attachment 3268646View attachment 3268647

This week I got my new PS pump installed. Mostly. It seems 10 tiny fingers made their way into my bolt container in my garage and made off with one of the 3 bolts that hood the PS pump on. Anyways, ordered some new ones. I had used a part store idler pulley, and it bugged me enough to order an oem one. Here’s a comparison, even the gates has the same exact bearing and the pulley is made in Canada. It’s a quality part and I’ll put it on the shelf as a spare. I used PS hoses (off the rese) from Witt’s and new oem clamps .

I have a few parts on order, the rear high center stop lamp assembly new oem. Pricey, to say the least. I also reached out to Jason at cruiser outfitters and ordered a set of arb side rails and steps to match my from bumper, I was inspired by Kurt’s 100 build, which is excellent.

Dropped my front seats off at the upholstery shop early this week with new leather, expecting a 2-3 week turnaround on those. It’s all coming to a close!

View attachment 3268644View attachment 3268645View attachment 3268646View attachment 3268647
I've always found it amazing how those tiny fingers grab that hardware and run off with it. Its ok, that pump need new mount bolts anyway. Looks like some cleaning would fit the bill in there too. Glad to hear your getting close, I said that about mine a year and half ago, but now I really am getting close. Anyway keep going , looking great and story telling entertaining.

still waiting on seats to be done, but i did finish getting everything done under the hood. the steering feels much lighter than before and im beginning to wonder if it was the difference in the belt tensioner..ill add that note to the "heavy steering thread"

im waiting on the little plastic clips that hold the seat backs on to come in before i can finish the seats. i replaced two burnt out lamps yesterday, one in the ignition key bezel ring and the other under the shift indicator at the transmission shifter facia plate. both use the same bulb and green cover, see photo for the right parts. i found that parts store type 74 bulbs did not work because they dont have notches in the glass to click them into place in the socket properly.

IMG_4840.jpg

Last edited:
in other news, i got too deep in the PBR and leaned over the radiator while putting the new serpentine belt on and shattered my fan shroud. my 3 year old learned some new words and now my neighbor thinks im insane. anyways, new one in route for not terribly expensive..PN16711-50090 and about 150 bones.

next big debate is the door trim on the outside. they rattle. and it drives my nuts. the other posts on this matter steer towards giant PITA and expensive so it sounds right up my alley. stay tuned.

in other news, i got too deep in the PBR and leaned over the radiator while putting the new serpentine belt on and shattered my fan shroud. my 3 year old learned some new words and now my neighbor thinks im insane. anyways, new one in route for not terribly expensive..PN16711-50090 and about 150 bones.

next big debate is the door trim on the outside. they rattle. and it drives my nuts. the other posts on this matter steer towards giant PITA and expensive so it sounds right up my alley. stay tuned.
Sounds like the shroud was brittle and old anyway.. mommy will love it when the 3yo spouts off a few new words at feeding time and the neighbor, well, let them think what they want, besides there is a bit of truth to it....:rofl:

Got a call today from the upholstery shop, “seats er done come pick em up I’m leaving for vacation”. Grabbed them on my way home from work and slapped them in. He finished the seat backs also, but the cargo nets and retainer clips havnt come in from Toyota yet. My fan shroud showed up sooner than expected so I also installed it. Tomorrow, wheels and a fuel filter. My buddy gave me this bumper sticker, seemed appropriate for this build.

53BC2FFB-46B8-4E00-B65A-A6A461405AF8.jpeg
3F5AE5DD-02E4-4A80-A9D6-BB9FC5AF1D8A.jpeg
1BF1135B-3D17-4861-BDFB-D87C70099007.jpeg
B81D64F8-F965-42E4-8DF9-0207DD4811DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I bet it has that new car smell. Beautiful!

I bet it has that new car smell. Beautiful!
I have to agree with you it looks fantastic, something to be proud of. Before and after pics would be interesting to see side by side

I have to agree with you it looks fantastic, something to be proud of. Before and after pics would be interesting to see side by side

I hope to do a “final” post when I’m done with a recap, here’s the driver seat.

F752A957-12E5-4E87-844E-08F5D97BC9F0.jpeg
186E9EB2-2BE7-4D36-8D31-371A6C3E4BE8.jpeg

Well gents, get a load of her and try not to leave any silver dollars on your khakis. Needless to say the wheels work well with this color combo. Also tackled fuel filter and phone mount from yotaMD. Also this clip arrived today. It holds the rad hose to the new fan shroud.
A5E1E38E-7C8A-4D17-9119-F623F1BB44DA.jpeg
FDFFC346-A45D-4983-86F1-3D116B635110.jpeg
D83D52E5-C7A0-4897-AA69-1CCAA12AFAB8.jpeg
A9B932C2-6239-4BED-BB1F-8AE57AA18E50.jpeg
ED077D67-17BD-4112-B35F-5484D363DB11.jpeg

Very nice! How do you like the way that it drives with the F5s?

Very nice! How do you like the way that it drives with the F5s?

I wish I could give you some kind of actual performance review, but I can’t. I can say that stopping power seems to have a noticeable difference. As far as pep off the line I FEEL like there is more but it could all be in my head. I do love the way they look.

Picked up my new 3rd brake light. Install took a little longer than expected. You need to remove the inner trim from the rear hatch to access the wire. Pull the two grommets that cover the nuts and studs. Once the lamp is out, you’ll need to get all the old adhesive off.. the new lamp has new 3M tape already on it. Slap her in. My old one was still working but the cracked area was letting water inside the lamp.
10720038-8ECD-4B61-AB19-F0124C8D32BF.jpeg
1E442BFE-EE91-43A3-B7E9-B46540983BC0.jpeg
D25DAB95-67E5-473E-9092-624185A0ED61.jpeg
32754FFC-B710-4CE5-B0E9-8A98E94E7116.jpeg

I made a separate post for this with details, but I put my seat backs on, converted over to J100 net style instead of the nasty lx map pocket flap things.
4BEC7B45-9784-462D-848A-5AB6B54BEC95.jpeg
2DD1B0DF-218C-435F-895F-DAB2CBFBDA8B.jpeg

Power steering vac lines replaced, old ones were dry rotted and leaking. The new ones come as a set. Also the missing bolt for the PS pump showed up.
5C662D6A-67B9-4CA7-B25F-DFBCC8822111.jpeg
BFA56C8C-5910-4CFF-9F50-D64551C248EA.jpeg

I wish I could give you some kind of actual performance review, but I can’t. I can say that stopping power seems to have a noticeable difference. As far as pep off the line I FEEL like there is more but it could all be in my head. I do love the way they look.

Mine felt like I got out running in some steel-toe boots and switched into track shoes. It was a noticeable improvement with lighter-weight wheels and tires while keeping the same outer diameter.

Driver headlamp housing arrived today so I went for a quick install after work. It’s an easy job, remove the marker lamp, then the center trim piece under the grill, then the trim between the glass lenses and finally the entire headlamp housing. My old bulbs were all so bad that some of them were actually melting lol. It’s not often that I say Toyota effed something up. But their whole “combination” adjuster is a BAD idea. First of all, you have to install the dang lamp to adjust it, obviously. And the battery must be installed to turn the lamps on to adjust them..so reaching the adjuster is extremely aggravating. My little plastic nub of an adjuster stripped first turn. Used pliers for the rest and mangled the dang thing. Anyways..the deed is done. I went with new silver star ultra bulbs for high and lows.
67BB1A61-64B1-4B53-A21B-4AC1E6D636B7.jpeg
6EB69C06-54D4-47E1-8813-87FA58FC3B31.jpeg
AC877FF6-6A3D-4E9A-9637-153FAEFC8CB6.jpeg
23444C7F-B24E-40CE-B9BA-2E537EFC6E63.jpeg
A371B92B-5A56-45E3-A52D-C0AB3B9E868F.jpeg

FWIW, the early style headlamps had a different style adjuster.

9674CD8D-D796-45DF-9348-583C3C2ACC42.jpeg

FWIW, the early style headlamps had a different style adjuster.

View attachment 3286072
yeah, my passenger side is original i believe and it had the screw type adjuster. funny thing is, i went to pull that style off the headlamp i removed and it ended up also having the multi adjuster design.

Driver headlamp housing arrived today so I went for a quick install after work. It’s an easy job, remove the marker lamp, then the center trim piece under the grill, then the trim between the glass lenses and finally the entire headlamp housing. My old bulbs were all so bad that some of them were actually melting lol. It’s not often that I say Toyota effed something up. But their whole “combination” adjuster is a BAD idea. First of all, you have to install the dang lamp to adjust it, obviously. And the battery must be installed to turn the lamps on to adjust them..so reaching the adjuster is extremely aggravating. My little plastic nub of an adjuster stripped first turn. Used pliers for the rest and mangled the dang thing. Anyways..the deed is done. I went with new silver star ultra bulbs for high and lows.
View attachment 3285917View attachment 3285918

I rehabbed my original lenses with polishing compound and it made a world of difference. I did it on the vehicle the first time, and was ok with the results because the haze was mostly gone. The products designed for the headlights did not work as well as the buffing compound, but I DID use the sealer afterwards. When I get the energy, I’m going to remove them and redo them off the vehicle and not stop until they’re perfect. Just commenting in case you want to get the passenger side to match (or close to it) with the new driver’s side.

I rehabbed my original lenses with polishing compound and it made a world of difference. I did it on the vehicle the first time, and was ok with the results because the haze was mostly gone. The products designed for the headlights did not work as well as the buffing compound, but I DID use the sealer afterwards. When I get the energy, I’m going to remove them and redo them off the vehicle and not stop until they’re perfect. Just commenting in case you want to get the passenger side to match (or close to it) with the new driver’s side.

i think you would have a pretty hard time trying to polish glass lenses lol. the early ones like mine have glass not plastic. they dont haze up, they just break on the interstate from rocks :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom