gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got 17mph!!!! If you can't tell I'm real excited. I got this with a complete tune up, new wheel bearings, u-joints, and oh yeah, 33x10.50 w/stock gears. Down side, I only have enough power to run 71.

11 city 12 highway

fj62- used to get 10 mpg and then it randomly improved

The Air Force moved me from Tacoma to Champaign back in November. I weighed in at 6200 pounds leaving, not counting myself but including my trailered motorcycle. 2,478 miles later I got to my folks place in Cincinnati in time for Thanksgiving.

Avg gas mileage: 17.1 MPG limiting RPMs to no more than 2500 (about 65 MPH, give or take)

Since the OME lift, and mud terrains, I'm down to about 15.6 MPG highway. We won't discuss in town driving.

Gad. Something must be wrong with my rig.
Just bought it yesterday and promptly drove I5 for 300 miles. Filled it this morning and calced out 17.8 mpg. Stock rig with a roof rack. Will be doing a full tune up tomorrow.
Perhaps with a lift and some 33's...

1988 FJ62
14.5 city/17 Highway
If I stay at 55-60 mph, I'll do a little better.

I know this is an answer to an old post but I was cleaning my glove compartment out today and found the orginal window sticker for my 83 FJ60 cost $14,142 average fuel mileage 12 just for information, I didn't know I even had it.

My BJ60 gets about 26-28 in town and about 30 on the hiway

mine too around 28mpg

My truck is a light weight model.

(cancer, no ac or ps, bumper less and gutted interior)

I also run 40 psi in my tires.

Last edited:
Sorry, been gone a bit....89 FJ62, stock (at the time).

In the shop now to replace the engine. I plan on making sure this engine has "all the right stuff" BEFORE I put it in! This motor only has 78k on it and has been gone over pretty well.

I'll probably re-do the wheel bearings, and rebuild the transmission (if the $$ holds out) whiles she's up in ther air.

I'm currently running Wrangler AT (Kevlar belted) 33-12.50's and a 3" OME lift, and an ARB winch bumper is going on right after the engines back in.

I'll re-post and let you know how it goes.

Around 14-15
Never, ever go over 2500 rpm's and my top speed is 55 mph.
The truck is nicely tuned up.

my first 2 tanks were bringing it back from North Dakota and those 200-300 miles were approx 13.5-14 @ 80 - 90 mph (2wd)

most of the 2wd around town has been 11-12 unless i leave it idling a lot then it might dip below 10

most of the 4wd winter type driving has been 9-11

so far this months gas bill is somewhere around $250. i dream of the days of $1.25 premium

FJ62 3F (not 3FE) 5 speed

On 32" BFG MT's, 300km/70L LPG (12.1MPG)
On 29" Nankang AT's, 360km/70L LPG (14.5MPG)

Economy on petrol is better (about 33% more distance / L), but as LPG is less than half the price of petrol I run on LPG 99% of the time.

30x9.5's, Aussie mirrors, hauling .4 ton of gravel in the back, mtn driving w/snow: 16mpg. WTF? Happiness x2!

my odometer quit working but when i had the 33's and it was working i think i was getting 15-16ish on hwy never getting over 2500 rpm. after that gas disapears. now i think im getting maybe 13?

I get 10 to 11 on the highway no matter what I do. Has 33's with the 4:11 gears, winch up front and a roof rack. Tried a tune up and everything but cant seem to get above that. I drive around 2300 rpms on the highway. I am jealous of the guys getting around 16 and 17.

'60 gas mileage

I get 8-9 towing a tandem axle trailer at max. GVW, 10-11 towing a single axle trailer and 11-13 highway depending on terrain and how heavily loaded I am. 10 gpm around town generally speaking. The 31's, 2" lift, full sized roof rack and Ford style side mirrors probably don't help...

Do you know if what you have would be legal in NY, Cal, Texas or Mexico?
I'm asking, because I may be buying an '83 or '84. One of them needs a carb or intake manifold fix.
I was wondering how to increase the gas mileage as I'll be going on a 2500 mile trip?
But I need to register it in NY (where maybe I can get hlep with the emissions). But then I'll probably need to have it retested in Mexico and then perhaps sell it in Texas (where laws are also strict. So i'm wondering if what yo udid to get this mileage would be legal? Someone can probably get it passed in NY but I don't know about Texas (where it may be bought) or Mexico (whre it may be tested).
Anyway, what did you do to get this great, for an FJ60, gas mileage?
Thanks,
Vanyoska

I may buy an 83 or 84 FJ60. Any suggestions what I can do to get better mileage for a very long trip and still pass smog tests? I'm also in NY and you may have a better idea of what's required here. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom