Gamiviti Install on LX470 Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That explains this response I received from BajaRacks on why their LC rack wouldn't fit the LX.

"Thank you for contacting BajaRack! We are in process of making a LX470 version, but we are so busy that we do not have a timeline for that project at this time.

However, as you know, the LX470 shares the roof with the 100 series Land Cruiser. The difference (with respect to roof racks) is that the roof racks use the same mounting points for 2 of the 3 pair (all mounting points are present in both vehicles). The LX 470 uses a different third pair of mounting points for its OEM roof rack and only exposes those 3 pairs.

In order to use our LC100 racks on your LX 470, you would need to expose a different 3rd pair of mounting points. So, you could try to figure out a way to cut and attach part of the trim to cover up one pair of mounting points, or you can obtain the 100 series Land Cruiser trim kit and put that on your LX470. Does that make sense?

We put the warning that our LC100 series racks are not compatible with LX470 to bypass those customers who would not be willing to do the extra steps necessary to install our LC100 rack and would complain about fitment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Baja Racks are talking themselves out of doing business with 98 and 99 LX owners like myself. Those year models use the same 3 mounting points as the LC and are directly compatible. Seems like they need to update their info and their "game".

factory roof rack differences

My 00 seems to use the B/D mounting configuration.

That would be correct based on everything I've read. LX went to the 4 mount B/D configuration in '00 and then back to the 6 mount A/C/D configuration in '04....presumably to get back some rack strength.

All of this talk makes me wonder if my 06 tundra has mounting tabs in the roof rails, and i'm the idiot who didn't look before drilling holes in my roof to mount my custom rack...

Hmm,

Well I know the double cab Tacomas from 05+ got factory nuts under the trim to mount a four pt rack however the access cab models have zero.

FWIW this is my 2000 LC via SouthEast Toyota. Looks like I'm mounted with the A/C/D option.

Pardon the view as we are on vacation this week! :D

image.jpg

Hmm,

Well I know the double cab Tacomas from 05+ got factory nuts under the trim to mount a four pt rack however the access cab models have zero.

FWIW this is my 2000 LC via SouthEast Toyota. Looks like I'm mounted with the A/C/D option.

Pardon the view as we are on vacation this week! :D

View attachment 1465928

NICE view! I'm in TX and headed back out to S.Padre this weekend.

NICE view! I'm in TX and headed back out to S.Padre this weekend.

We be on the Island of Ocracoke NC.

Second year coming and we love it. Wife loves the beach and I love driving on it.

I really want a rack and an awning now though.

I've learned a thing or two after two years with umbrellas in the sand and EZ-Up awnings.

We be on the Island of Ocracoke NC.

Second year coming and we love it. Wife loves the beach and I love driving on it.

I really want a rack and an awning now though.

I've learned a thing or two after two years with umbrellas in the sand and EZ-Up awnings.

Yeah, I love driving on the beach as well. The LX/LC goes places most vehicles can't. My TerraGrapplers 285/65/18 are really good in the sand when lowered to 25 PSI.

I'm doing the Gamiviti rack (ordered yesterday). Been using the factory rack with a Yakima Megawarrior and ready to move on. Looking forward to having a quality, flat-top rack with tons of storage space, a low profile (fits in my garage) and the ability to attach an awning and my RoadShower.

Not always. My 98 LX has the "longer" rack with 3 mounts (uses the forward pair of mounting points..."A/C/D") vs the others I've seen that are 2 mounts (B/D) and shorter (using the aft pair of mounting points and covering the forwardmost "A" mounting point and covering the middle "C" mounting points).

Mounting points (front to rear): A/B/C/D
3 mount racks use....A/C/D
2 mount racks use....B/D

I believe the 98 and 99 LXs had the long racks, but Lexus went with the shorter racks on later models to reduce wind noise. At least, that's what I've read on the subject.

The OPs OEM rack is an example of a 3-mount rack that uses B/C/D.

Below is a drawing I did for @reevesci when he was designing his 100-series racks. He's probably done enough of them by now to speak to all the different varieties. I added the A/B/C/D convention from this thread if it helps.

roof rackv2.jpg

Yeah, I love driving on the beach as well. The LX/LC goes places most vehicles can't. My TerraGrapplers 285/65/18 are really good in the sand when lowered to 25 PSI.

I'm doing the Gamiviti rack (ordered yesterday). Been using the factory rack with a Yakima Megawarrior and ready to move on. Looking forward to having a quality, flat-top rack with tons of storage space, a low profile (fits in my garage) and the ability to attach an awning and my RoadShower.

So which model are you going with and why?

Also what flooring option?

The OPs OEM rack is an example of a 3-mount rack that uses B/C/D.

Below is a drawing I did for @reevesci when he was designing his 100-series racks. He's probably done enough of them by now to speak to all the different varieties. I added the A/B/C/D convention from this thread if it helps.

Dude you rock!

That's a sweet diagram...

So guess I also have a question regarding my factory A/C/D mounts...

Do I gain much by using the "B" mounts?

Dude you rock!

That's a sweet diagram...

So guess I also have a question regarding my factory A/C/D mounts...

Do I gain much by using the "B" mounts?

I have a Trail Tailor flat rack up there using 6 mounts. It's plenty sturdy, and would carry more weight than I'd be comfortable with up there.

A 4th set of mounts would allow you to support more weight, but I wouldn't want to drive with that much weight. There's probably a use-case where you might need to increase the static weight you could put up there. e.g. double roof-top tents for a heavy-set family. ...but it's probably overkill for most of us.

Hard to beat the looks and functionality of a Gamiviti rack. Looks great on your LX.

So which model are you going with and why?

Also what flooring option?

@Greenbean ... going with the Expo++ (lower bar over all 4 doors and back popout windows), sunroof cutout (with grid plate), 4th plate (8 total towers), 8 light tabs and light bar drop down (for forward facing integrated LED bar). No grid anywhere else on the rack. Picking it up next month in Denver so no shipping :)

Can't wait to see the pics,

So do you have two light tabs on each side? Two in the rear and your integrated front.

And no grid anywhere but the removable section over the sunroof?

Can I get your thoughts on why all eight towers?

I'm just gathering ideas for what I need, I like the idea of the grab rail but want to see the clearance for fingers once you grab that second rail, but aren't the towers height adjustable anyways?

@Greenbean ... going with the Expo++ (lower bar over all 4 doors and back popout windows), sunroof cutout (with grid plate), 4th plate (8 total towers), 8 light tabs and light bar drop down (for forward facing integrated LED bar). No grid anywhere else on the rack. Picking it up next month in Denver so no shipping :)
I didn't see you mention the fairing.
Get the fairing.
I did not, and holy heck I've named it the Banshee Rack. It screams at highway speeds.
I will either be buying one or fabbing a custom I have a fun idea for very soon, but save yourself grief and get one when you pick it up!

I didn't see you mention the fairing.
Get the fairing.
I did not, and holy heck I've named it the Banshee Rack. It screams at highway speeds.
I will either be buying one or fabbing a custom I have a fun idea for very soon, but save yourself grief and get one when you pick it up!

@cruzerDave I'm definitely getting the fairing for sure. Couldn't dream of not having it. One trick to consider...and it works INCREDIBLY well on racks.....wrap a shock/bungee cord around the bars that span the roof....it breaks up the air flow and reduces whistle and wind noise to a minimum....in fact, better than the fairing in most cases without the increased drag and lowered fuel efficiency.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't wait to see the pics,

So do you have two light tabs on each side? Two in the rear and your integrated front.

And no grid anywhere but the removable section over the sunroof?

Can I get your thoughts on why all eight towers?

I'm just gathering ideas for what I need, I like the idea of the grab rail but want to see the clearance for fingers once you grab that second rail, but aren't the towers height adjustable anyways?

@Greenbean ...

Yes, 2 front, 2 rear with 2 more on each side rail for camp lights. Grid only over the sunroof on a removable panel (probably overly cautious, but want to keep anything stowed on top from striking the glass...they offer a solid panel, but I like the grid better). The grid anywhere else on the rack isn't necessary for anything I'll carry and makes access to cleaning the roof nearly impossible without removing the rack. I can always "tack" up some grid later if I ever change my mind.

8 towers for better load distribution. Per Tim at Gamiviti, 6 towers just fine in almost all circumstances. But, if you plan on having more weight on the roof (roof top tent, spare wheel, gas and water cans that can weight up to 40 pounds each when full) the extra towers give support against the additional shock load. It's not entirely necessary for me as I'll only rarely carry enough weight on the roof to justify it. But, I figure "better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" Same reason for the light bar drop down.

The towers are height adjustable and have a surprisingly large range of adjustment. I'll set mine so that my fingers can wrap around the bar. I'm scheduled to install the rack on the 23rd. I'll post pics once it's setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom