FZJ80 vs 7.3 Excursion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tommysosa

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some advice from those who have had both or good insight for either.

I have a 4th kid on the way and we have outgrown our vehicles. I currently have a 2017 Crewmax Tundra and my 95 80. We have found a very low mileage (97k and one owner) excursion with the 7.3. I am debating on whether it’s worth selling my 80 and replacing it with the X. Obviously there are Pros and cons to both, and I understand this a Crusier specific forum, but if any of you have experience with an excursion please Share some insight with me.

No real experience except for the fact that I bought my 97 from someone in your exact same situation... 4+ kids couldn't fit in the LX he stepped in to an excursion and sold me the 80. I'd just add to the collection I wouldn't sell the 80 unless you had no space to put it.

What are your goals with an SUV? Just hauling kids around? Towing? Off Roading (what kind)? Each vehicle has pros/cons depending on it's intended use.

Keep the 80 unless you need to sell to pay for next vehicle. I don’t know a lot about the excursions my buddy has had a diesel for over 15 years and loves it. I would look into the sequoia if I had a choice they can be had for reasonable prices and are great vehicles. The 2uz is a million mile motor if maintained. Just my two sense. My next rig for the wife will be a sequoia after the 4 runner hits 100k. That have huge amount of interior space and have the Toyota engineering to give you taht warm and fuzzy.

What are your goals with an SUV? Just hauling kids around? Towing? Off Roading (what kind)? Each vehicle has pros/cons depending on it's intended use.
Mainly going to be used for daily family hauling and road trips, occasional camping, and of course runs to Costco. Sadly, we don't get out much in the 80 as a family anymore. I work two weeks each month in the woods so when I get home we don't do much in the way of camping, so if we do go it won't be anything far off the beaten path. I am having a hard time justifying getting rid of the LC. I am most likely going to sell the Tundra and then keep the 80 and get the X.

Keep the 80 unless you need to sell to pay for next vehicle. I don’t know a lot about the excursions my buddy has had a diesel for over 15 years and loves it. I would look into the sequoia if I had a choice they can be had for reasonable prices and are great vehicles. The 2uz is a million mile motor if maintained. Just my two sense. My next rig for the wife will be a sequoia after the 4 runner hits 100k. That have huge amount of interior space and have the Toyota engineering to give you taht warm and fuzzy.
We actually have been using my Mother-in-law's Sequoia for the last two years while she lived with us. It worked great and we loved having Toyota reliability. Unfortunately, we have pretty much outgrown the sequoia as well. We have done quite a few road trips recently where we've been packed in like Sardine's and had to consolidate luggage. We are hoping to get away from that and allow us to spread out and take what we need. Still just not sure if it's worth going to the Blue oval. I'm afraid the little things will slowly make me regret my decision. The engine may run forever, but I would like the rest of the vehicle to do the same.

Personally I’d sell the tundra and buy the excursion if clean/straight. Keep the 80 as a toy. I’ve never owned a excursion but have driven plenty of 7.3 F250’s. No powerhouse by todays standards but it’s more than sufficient. I’d rather have that than a GM whatever or similar vintage sequoia.

or you find a full size 4x4 van?

The 7.3 4 X 4 Excursion is a beast, I regret selling mine. Very little in common with the 80 obviously, but a great truck nonetheless. If it is going to see mostly pavement with an occasional foray into the "wilderness" - you wont be disappointed! Super comfortable on long trips and cruises at 75-80 like standing still.

With the price of diesel heading over 5.50 in short order (if its available at all), make sure you can grin as you fill up.

Also, don't sell the 80

Growing up, my friends Dad had an excursion. He called it the man van. He could fit anything he wanted in it, pull a trailer with it, and the long wheel base made it extremely predictable in winter weather. Honestly, it’s kind of the perfect choice for a kid hauler.

Well a diesel excursion is a bit overkill for what you're planning on doing with it. Obviously the 80 is too small for your needs. That being said, the 7.3 excursion is a solid truck. They're pretty sought after. The 7.3 is the best diesel engine ford had, probably because they didn't actually make it. The rest of the truck is pretty solid as well. It can tow a lot. The long wheelbase isn't the greatest for serious off roading but it will do great camping and overlanding. Tons of room inside.

So yeah, if you've got a line on one, go for it. You'll be underutilizing it, but you'll have expandability if you want to move into towing a trailer or toy hauler or boat.

Put a Packasport on the roof of the Sequoia. Then you can stuff the kids in there and have plenty of room for luggage inside the vehicle where it's warm.

I guess you could do it the other way around, but I like a quiet ride myself.

Packasport-Children.jpg

Friends of mine use an Excursion for their family hauler and it works well for them. The wife got in a very bad wreck with the kids in the Excursion and everyone walked away except the guy on the big farm tractor that pulled out right in front of them going 55 MPH.

I switch between a CCLB Superduty and an 80 for my daily. The 80 is better at everything except towing/hauling which I do a lot of. My Superduty was a 6.0 which I replaced with a 5.9 Cummins when it died at 350K miles. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the 7.3. I would buy a 5.4 Triton Excursion before I bought a 7.3 version. The 7.3 is gutless for it's size, they have lots of small problems and there's usually a big premium to pay for one. I have great experiences with the early V10's as well, but they are so horrible on fuel I can't recommend one these days. If you buy a gas one make sure you get the spark plug repair kit to have on hand. They're easy to fix. I would not buy a 6.0 Excursion if you aren't familiar with the 6.0. If you do know the 6.0's well then the 6.0 would be my top choice today as they are way better supported and perform better than the 7.3.

Overall, Early Superduties are good trucks. They are easy to fix and last forever. I tow a lot and feel like even the earliest Superduties are very capable with weight on them.

Buy the excursion anyway. You can sell them for a huge amount right now. I saw one recently with 250K on the clock going for $45K.

💯 get the Excursion. 7.3L is the ultimate as others have mentioned. You mentioned outgrowing the sequoia and that’s a big vehicle too so I think you’ve answered your own question. Get the excursion before it’s gone! Sell the tundra, keep the 80!

the 7.3L is a seriously great motor. I have an 02 F350 with that motor and it's been great.

That said... these are completely different vehicles. The excursion isn't going to articulate, it's huge, and it's not going to be happy on any serious trails. But goofing around off road with the family? Totally fine.

It'll get better mileage than your 80 too ;)

The 7.3 excursion is an awesome rig.

I can support from experience the over-hype of the 7.3
It's can be a good motor, but it has its issues.

There is a reason so many people replace them with 5.9's
I have dreamed for a while about finding a quality v10 excursion to 5.9 swap like I did with my 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom