FZJ80 Narrow Skinny tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Right, so I think this is my first post, although I’ve consumed hours of posts, so here goes...

I have a triple locked FZJ80, stock. I want to try tires I’ve never tried before (which is anything outside of a gentle all-terrain), and I have an itch for skinnies. 235/85r16 or 255/85r16 would be ok. I’m leaning towards the Nankang Mudstar in 235/85r16 and I would like to know if anyone has mounted those on an 80, especially on the stock aluminum wheel 16x8 which Nankang says is ok according to docs. Yes I do have flares, no extra weight in bumpers, armor, etc, and yes it may look funky. I could always get 16x7 wheels later if I love the size.
Nankang Mudstar specs

For some reason, the tire I really want to try is the Interco Narrow SS TSL
Narrow SS TSL
I just want to try a ‘real’ Narrow tire and have fun, but I’d like to know if anyone has ever tried that tire on an 80. Should be around a 34x9.5

Would you care to offer advice, or have experience with a 235/85 tire that would fit the 16x8 aluminum wheel?

Interesting move and one I support. The trend to huge wide tires has forgotten some basic tire contact patch physics that favors longer narrower ground contact and I think you'll be pleased with the traction the higher pressure per square inch will get you. Fuel economy as well.

I looked at the NANKANG link and I have a couple comments though. First the "ad copy" on their website appears written by someone who has no tire knowledge but was copied from another brand. It says there are "integrated stone ejectors" and the voids between tread blocks are completely devoid and clearly do not have this feature. Interesting. I guess "integrated" so well I cannot even see them? Seriously though, the width of the tread compared to the total tire width indicates some serious sidewall vulnerabliity here. The sidewalls bulge well out wider than the treads which varies by size but is worth noting for a tire expected to withstand tree roots, protruding rocks, slipping sideways off jagged rock faces, etc.

I'm running 235/85/16 on Tacoma steelies on my camp trailer, which I think are 7.5. I've been thinking of using as a spare on the 80 to save weight. This site lists the rim size range as 6-7.5" :235/85R16 Tires

If you mount some please post.

Thanks, I agree the Mudstar documentation is a bit funky. For instance, they measured the 235/85 on a 6.5 rim but say the approved rim size is 7-8. I’m by no means a tire expert. Could be poor documentation or totally erroneous documentation. so 16x6 or 16x7 wheels for that size?
Any thoughts about the Swamper tire? if it measures around an actual 33x9.5, it could fit at stock height, although require a 16x7 wheel.
And yes I grew up driving LADAs in Europe: narrow tires, no power, geared like a tractor, but would go anywhere and climb anything. Roundabouts on wet pavement were something of an adventure though. I guess I’m feeling nostalgic.

You cant mount 235/85 on the 8" OEM rim safely.

255 is the skinniest you can go, and even those are a bear to seat the bead on. I got 255/85/r16 Cooper ST Maxx and they're awesome

You cant mount 235/85 on the 8" OEM rim safely.

255 is the skinniest you can go, and even those are a bear to seat the bead on. I got 255/85/r16 Cooper ST Maxx and they're awesome
Thank you. I think the Coopers are an awesome tire and I may go that route. I’d like to try something very new to me though, so a M/T or very agressive tire, very narrow.
Concerning the Coopers though, do you have the stock height suspension? Do you feel confident under heavy breaking? Any changes to mpg, drivability?

Thank you. I think the Coopers are an awesome tire and I may go that route. I’d like to try something very new to me though, so a M/T or very agressive tire, very narrow.
Concerning the Coopers though, do you have the stock height suspension? Do you feel confident under heavy breaking? Any changes to mpg, drivability?

ST Maxx is supposed to be about in the middle between A/T and M/T tires, as far as aggressiveness goes.
I've had BFG M/T's in this size before and didnt like them - too loud on the highway.
255/85/16 is by far my favorite size for the OEM rims, but there are very few choices. A/T tire would suit my needs better, but there arent any decent ones made in this size.

I do have stock suspension, currently. Brakes feel great - no noticeable difference.
As far as MPG and driveability, i did way too many things to the truck at the same time as i installed the tires... I expect driveability and fuel economy to be excellent, but that's because of the 1HD-FT and 5spd.

ST Maxx is supposed to be about in the middle between A/T and M/T tires, as far as aggressiveness goes.
I've had BFG M/T's in this size before and didnt like them - too loud on the highway.
255/85/16 is by far my favorite size for the OEM rims, but there are very few choices. A/T tire would suit my needs better, but there arent any decent ones made in this size.

I do have stock suspension, currently. Brakes feel great - no noticeable difference.
As far as MPG and driveability, i did way too many things to the truck at the same time as i installed the tires... I expect driveability and fuel economy to be excellent, but that's because of the 1HD-FT and 5spd.
all right, sounds like 255 Coopers ST Maxx should be high up on the list for OEM wheels. Thank you much!

I ran the ST Maxx 255/85 on stock rims for 47K and loved them. Great in snow, rain, and quiet on the highway. They probably had 20% tread left when I removed them because they did start to get loud after 45K. Sold them on Craigslist as a set with no problem when I was done with them.

Great “skinny” tire IMO.

And there is also this thread:

Pictures for us visual people please.

Below is a link to the thread on when I had just installed 255 85 16 Cooper ST's. I am running OME heavies and I prefer the tall skinnies. I am a fan of Cooper tires. These did real well all around. They did get pretty noisy on the road towards the end of their life. I did get a lot of miles out of them though. Seems like it was around 40,000 miles.

A deal popped up locally I could not pass up for some Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285 75 16 so I am currently running those. They were almost new, maybe 3,000 miles on them at a local tire shop. Got them for $400 mounted and balanced. Like them a lot.

Last edited:

What is your intended use? You're in FL, so not much rocks and mountains to climb.....

Mud would work well with a skinny, sand, not so much.

BFG AT KO2s come in 34x10.5r17. I have them on my 97. Will post photo when I get more daylight.

I am looking seriously at 35x10.50R17 Kenda Klever R/T KR601 121R D/8 Ply BSW Tire.

(Sorry about the font, paste error).

My biggest issue with Kenda Klever RT is that they don’t have 3 Peak Mountain snowflake. That is sometimes required by law where I live.

They *may* drive as well in the snow as other tires that have it like KO2s or Duratracs but without the official rating on the sidewall, it’s no good with the law.

285/75R18 is another option I have considered. I have 4 18” 4Runner rims in the garage. I would need to find a 5th and then have to run spacers.

KO2s drive fine, say 34” on sidewall but are really 33”.

They look good on a stock or OME medium suspension. The look tiny under Slinky.

C3DC17C2-A5DD-4235-AB8A-72F5B0CE162D.jpeg

55741F1B-23F6-4399-A1B6-94DEF096FF64.jpeg

F9DFDBCE-A386-42C7-95C2-9127CD5D3F1D.jpeg

2FE752D2-FE29-4D87-BB6D-361A4D7A87FA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom