Fzj80 Front Heater Core Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Arabian Cruiser

Arabian Cruisers
SILVER Star
Threads
hi guys, have been searching this topic for a couple of days now and I'm either using the wrong terminology or there is no write up on it but I need some help.

Heater hoses have started to leak and deteriorate and its time to change them. Living in the middle east don't really need the heater. I can't remember ever turning on the heater since owing the truck.

My question is can I delete the heater core by plugging the tubes that lead to the heater and from the heater from the block ? or do I need to keep the heater piped in to allow coolant to circulate around from the back bottom of the block to the front of the block.

These are the delete plugs I want to use.

E9A5FCEC-2557-4F33-8832-ED9372E42664.jpeg

E1AB6733-B945-4C27-8FA4-8F6957DA1562.jpeg

No need for plugs
thanks. but my question is mostly related to completely removing the heater core out of the system. will that cause any heating increase to the engine block and coolant?

thanks. but my question is mostly related to completely removing the heater core out of the system. will that cause any heating increase to the engine block and coolant?

Remove you passenger seat and remove the heater unit disconnect from electricity see the last part of this movie

No problem at all for the engine it makes your cooling system more reliable since it is old car

checking radiator and installing heater valve

I think if you look at the pictures here in this thread you will see hot wheels trying to reverse what you want to do.

I think you should wait to remove the core untill you are already taking the dash apart unless you need to lighten things up soon.

Remove you passenger seat and remove the heater unit disconnect from electricity see the last part of this movie

No problem at all for the engine it makes your cooling system more reliable since it is old car

I don't have a rear heater under my seat. I want to delete all main heater core all that s***e and piping.

So basically, cap the bottom outlet to the PHH and cap the end of the long metal pipe that connects the heater core outlet to the to the water pump at the front of the block. Will, that affect the engine heat levels and even distribution of heat/cooling?

You are doing the same thing the heater control valve does when it is closed.

You lose the ability to turn the heater on to help cool in an overheat situation, otherwise you are likely reducing coolant issues by removing the components. Like i said above there are pictures showing you someone one else capped off the same way you want to and it was working in that situation.

If you just want to delete the heater altogether, run a piece of 5/8” line from the top of the PHH pipe over to the coolant pipe above the exhaust manifold. Takes a piece about 18” long.

checking radiator and installing heater valve

I think if you look at the pictures here in this thread you will see hot wheels trying to reverse what you want to do.

I think you should wait to remove the core until you are already taking the dash apart unless you need to lighten things up soon.

Thanks.

I will be capping and leaving the core in the dash just in case I need it in the future. I check out the thread you shared but I can't tell if he was having heating issues with that setup and that's why I'm asking. If I delete/remove the heater core from the system will the engine lose coolant circulation and heat up or will it be fine?

plan on capping the red spots in the image

delete.jpg

If you just want to delete the heater altogether, run a piece of 5/8” line from the top of the PHH pipe over to the coolant pipe above the exhaust manifold. Takes a piece about 18” long.

Got you. that way circulation will continue and shouldn't change increase in heat. so a complete bypass of the heater system. Cool

Got you. that way circulation will continue and shouldn't change increase in heat. so a complete bypass of the heater system. Cool

I had to do this for a few days when I noticed my heater valve leaking and didn’t have time to replace it. Interestingly enough, it seemed like the engine ran cooler, likely because it’s a completely closed system at that point so once the thermostat opens it’s just doing its thing.

But I also put a tree limb through through the driver’s floor while it was bypassed so your mileage may vary.

I suppose it’s possilbe that these two things are unrelated.

glad to report that i bypassed the heater and all is working well. thanks for all your help guys

glad to report that i bypassed the heater and all is working well. thanks for all your help guys
Any update on this? Want to do the same thing. Remove the heater out of the system.

I had to do this for a few days when I noticed my heater valve leaking and didn’t have time to replace it. Interestingly enough, it seemed like the engine ran cooler, likely because it’s a completely closed system at that point so once the thermostat opens it’s just doing its thing.

But I also put a tree limb through through the driver’s floor while it was bypassed so your mileage may vary.

I suppose it’s possilbe that these two things are unrelated.
I don't have a rear heater under my seat. I want to delete all main heater core all that s***e and piping.

So basically, cap the bottom outlet to the PHH and cap the end of the long metal pipe that connects the heater core outlet to the to the water pump at the front of the block. Will, that affect the engine heat levels and even distribution of heat/cooling?

It's just a cap on these two circled parts, right?

The engine block heater water inlet, where the PHH lives, and the heater water outlet pipe?

Image 28-01-2021 at 12.42.jpg

I will have a look again as it’s been a while. But if I remember I did as someone had suggested by bypassing the heater all together and running a tube from the top of the block over to the bottom to kee the circulation going. Will snap a few pictures this afternoon for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom