Fzj80 1FZ-FE rear freeze plug diameter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I'm looking replace the rear freeze/ expansion plug in the bell housing because there is a leak coming out of the bottom where the bell housing drain hole is. Does anybody know the diameter of this one? or where I can get a set of all the plugs? I searched online and can only find the smaller plug size for the sides of the block but I know from pictures that the plug in the back is much larger. There is nothing I can find on it.

Hey all,

I'm looking replace the rear freeze/ expansion plug in the bell housing because there is a leak coming out of the bottom where the bell housing drain hole is. Does anybody know the diameter of this one? or where I can get a set of all the plugs? I searched online and can only find the smaller plug size for the sides of the block but I know from pictures that the plug in the back is much larger. There is nothing I can find on it.
Update: The diameter is 50mm

What year/model 80 series and what's leaking? Is it coming out from the bellhousing weep hole, or is is trickling down along the side of the bellhousing??

What year/model 80 series and what's leaking? Is it coming out from the bellhousing weep hole, or is is trickling down along the side of the bellhousing??
It’s a 96 Fzj80 the leak was coming out of the weep hole and it was for sure the freeze plug in the bell housing. My ignorant a** left water in the cooling system and let it sit over winter not thinking straight. I already pulled the trans.
301F16C5-2110-4468-AF31-3D54BC3B310F.jpeg

Well, that answers the question. Sorry to hear/see that.

Hey all,

I had to get mine for rebuilding my motor from the Toyota dealership. And yes, 50mm.

Was it coming out of the weep hole? Just got a rebuild back in, fired it up and checking for leaps and noticed couple of coolant drops on bottom of bell housing and inside bell house it feels damp.

Side of the block is dry save for a small weep were I replaced the brass coolant drain plug with the 100 series one. Firewall is dry.

I’m really hoping this it isn’t what I think it is but anything else to rule out?
IMG_1768.jpeg

Last edited:
Was it coming out of the weep hole? Just got a rebuild back in, fired it up and checking for leaps and noticed couple of coolant drops on bottom of bell housing and inside bell house it feels damp.

Side of the block is dry save for a small weep were I replaced the brass coolant drain plug with the 100 series one. Firewall is dry.

I’m really hoping this it isn’t what I think it is but anything else to rule out?
View attachment 3340428
If it’s coming out of the bell housing it’s most likely the freeze plug, that’s the only place coolant can leak from there. I would try to clean it up and perform a coolant pressure test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom