Fuel Injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I know this has been covered for FZJ80's but I have questions about FJ80 fuel injectors. But what are good replacement injectors for a 1991 FJ80? My wife's rig is hard starting, idles rough and seems hesitate on hard acceleration (passing semi's). I have replaced on the vacuum lines, fuel filter and think the only thing left would be injectors and or fuel pump. Rig has 219K on it and I seriously doubt they have been replaced ever as when I bought it routine maintenance seemed to be something that was never done on it. Ideas? Costs? Suggestions?

I have found that having the originals refurbished is probably the best, but just wondering.

-ed

Good chance it's not the injectors. I pulled mine at 190,000 and had them "overhauled" at a good well known shop. All 6 were at 98% or better. No noticeable improvement when installed at 100%.

Good chance it's not the injectors. I pulled mine at 190,000 and had them "overhauled" at a good well known shop. All 6 were at 98% or better. No noticeable improvement when installed at 100%.
I really didn't think it would be but thought it was worth a shot. I think it is some sort of vacuum issue. I removed the EGR and de-smogged cause the EGR was bad and had a rusted so bad it had a small hole in it. Also the vacuum tube hard lines under the plenum are all rusted solid. I think there are only one or two that still allow solid airflow.

Any update here? My 91 shut off while driving 4 months ago, after slow rough start, rough idle, and sporadic acceleration after only driving a couple blocks from my house. Felt like it ran out of gas, but didn't, and hasn't started back up or ran since despite replacing fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, and trying a new ignitor. Going off a gut feeling, and thinking of looking back at fuel/injectors. Also, my cruiser had been spiting out a code 71 (EGR) and some other code i can't remember intermittently for 2 years since I've had it, but never addressed it since it wouldn't stay on. Light was on when it died, but I accidentally cleared before checking by looking at EFI main fuse...

My actual problem turned out to be a couple of burned valves.

@inkpot which valves?

I knew the compression was a bit low, like 95 vs 160 on the rest, but not sure of diagnosis on #1 cylinder till yesterday when the head came off. 1st exhaust and intake both leak. I already have a rebuilt head, so no lag time waiting for shop to do head work.

A new throttle position sensor really improved throttle response for me. Several years later I also ended up replacing the injectors in my '92 3FE at 360k miles with osidetiger injectors when one started leaking.

A new throttle position sensor really improved throttle response for me. Several years later I also ended up replacing the injectors in my '92 3FE at 360k miles with osidetiger injectors when one started leaking.

how could you tell an injector was leaking? could this result in fuel in your oil pan?

Just realized a watered down oil leak from my oil drain plug that smelt like gas, but thought it could also be from my testing for pressure with the battery jumped to the fuel pump?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

how could you tell an injector was leaking? could this result in fuel in your oil pan?

Just realized a watered down oil leak from my oil drain plug that smelt like gas, but thought it could also be from my testing for pressure with the battery jumped to the fuel pump?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I could see fuel dripping off the fuel rail and onto the exhaust. It wasn't the injector just the seal around it. Figured I'd replace the injectors anyways with 4 hole injectors instead of waiting on mine to be checked and sent back.

In your case fuel in the oil could also be from repeatedly turning the engine over without it firing. All the fuel that's squirted into the cylinder and isn't burned washes down the cylinder walls and ends up in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom