front door speaker replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, I gotta say, after this thread, I'm done here.

That's a shame. The only thing anyone is trying to say here is put forth some effort to look around before starting a general thread with a half baked question. There is a wealth of knowledge on here (and also some A**holes) but if no one tells new people how to get to/read the faq/etc. it'll turn into the LC facebook page (useless).
I agree things are changing and speaker availability/technology has changed. It likely is time for a new speaker recommendation. But that being said there were multiple threads in the last few months, including a lengthy DIY from @jcardona1 that he could have looked at.
It takes people putting in effort to create useful information and maintain a forum this large. I've only been around on mud a few years and don't claim to know much about cruisers or be a jackass to new people, but i understand where some are coming from.
With 80's blowing up and people leaving tacoworld to buy an 80 there has been a lot more "will 33s fit? should i run synthetic? Whats a birf?" threads than there should be considering how thorough of a FAQ there is.
People can go about it in better ways, and generally do compared to this thread.
Put a little effort into a post and people will likely respond with the same :worms::moon::flipoff2:

Any ideas on replacement speakers for the front doors? I understand the depth issue and don't want to build out the spacer if I can help it. Thanks
Even though this thread turned into a train wreck, FWIW these are the speakers I ended up going with for the front. I was unable to use the stock speaker covers but that was fine with me. I had to drill a couple small holes in the door but that was no biggie either. They're definitely not those $600 speakers someone else posted, but I was on a small budget and these are a definite improvement over the blown speakers I was running with, these are holding up just fine for me. Good luck on the install whatever you get!

Amazon product ASIN B01FUZV7ZG

Yeah, I gotta say, after this thread, I'm done here.

I'm guessing if getting in one pissing match in one thread is enough to make you rage quit this forum you weren't very pot commited here anyway. Good luck. Chances are you'll be back since if you google most anything about a LC mud threads will be your best resource. Whatever.

Bringing this back on track, this is the thread @Wompom was referring to and I felt like a great write up for some more modern audio options. Personally, I had a cheap pair of Blaupunkt 6.5s laying around and I threw them in the front doors with some spacers for the time being until I can build a full system. They're not great but not terrible for now.

@Wompom 's thread is incredibly helpful and when I update my system again the amp and the front dash speakers will be included.

Holy :censor:

e31.jpg

Disclaimer! Not a stereo geek by any means but I'm working this install this week. Head unit works well so far and still powers all the stock speakers with the harness adapter. Gonna route the reverse camera and work the speakers in this coming weekend. Wish me luck! I'm gonna try to stick with the OEM grills, but if it doesn't work out for the 5.25s in the front, I won't cry over it because the Rockford Fosgate grills look pretty great as well. I'll try to post pictures at some point soon. I went with the marine rated 4" polks for the rear because I noticed water getting in the door when it rained. All products purchased via Amazon:

1997 FZJ80 Stereo Upgrade (JDM)

Pioneer MVH1400NEX 6.2 inches B07951J34

Rockford Fosgate T152 Power 5.25" 2-Way Full-Range Speaker (Pair)

Polk Audio DB402 DB+ Series 4" Coaxial Speakers with Marine Certification, Black

Audiopipe 6" Woofer 150W Max 4 Ohm DVC Sold Each

APPS2Car Parking Brake Bypass Video in Motion Interface Module for Select Pioneer Stereo Radio DVD Receivers - fits All Pioneer AVH AVH-P AVH-X MVH DVH and NEX Video Units

Direct Wire Harness for Pioneer Headunits (fits Toyota and Subaru)

NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera,IP69K Waterproof Great Night Vision HD and Super Wide Angle Metal OEM Style Reverse Rear View Backup Camera for Cars Pickup Trucks SUVs RVs Vans (Black)

Allow me to jump onto this derailed train. Inexpensive and easy to find at Best Buy or Crutchfield. Both of these speaker sets will fit under the factory speaker grills with very little modification.

Speakers - 6.5" Front and 4" Rear
20191230_174052[1].jpg

To install the fronts I just broke off the mounting tabs and made the internal mounting holes just slightly bigger. They bolt to the factory mounting locations although I used different screws to keep the heads off the speaker rubber.

For the rears, remove the door cage:
20191228_114506[1].jpg

Cut or dremel out the insides leaving just the outer cage:
20191228_120458[1].jpg

Break off or bend up the outer mounting tabs:
20191229_123739[1].jpg

Now you can clock (rotate) the speaker in the cage and at some point it will sit nice and flush on the cage. I then mark the cage and speaker so I know the proper point. Spread some RTV on the top of the cage, sit the cage on a roll of tape so the speaker can hang out the bottom a bit, carefully line up your marks and press the speaker into place on the cage ... check for solid fit.
20191228_114503[1].jpg

Finally, I like to use the factory wiring harness connectors, so I cut them off the old factory speakers and then splice in the new speaker wires with water tight connections.

Super simple, takes 2 days because you want the RTV to cure, but looks 100% stock behind the factory grilles when finished and the 6.5" speakers up front sound much better than the old beat factory speakers.

The Rockford 5.25” fit pretty well for those looking for something different in the front. Sound quality is very good. Also thought the grill was pretty subtle and classy. I was able to put screw anchors into the holes already there from the stock speaker. Then only screwed the top and bottom to secure to the door. Here are some photos.

64A6E6CD-AFE3-45A5-BFE4-8DF69B125883.jpeg

CE586C5C-6BAE-49E2-9C88-987808A4BDC8.jpeg

D81EDB45-9D3E-429A-9434-B27A79172B55.jpeg

870CE494-5916-4639-853D-94E8517E25CB.jpeg

That really is pricey, but excellence with a lack of cutting and messing is very tempting. Also that Cructhfield site for some reason says it won't fit my car?

View attachment 2189027
These are really easy to fit and sound really good.

I started with the shallow depth pioneers, but I didn't really like them, so I moved them to the back. I used spacers to install some nice infinity speakers. They stick out a little bit, but don't interfere with anything in the door. You can fit more 6.5 speakers with a spacer.

I also have the Infinity shallow 6.5s referenced above.

Does "your" forum have the technical data and membership 'Mud has?

There is a reason'Mud is as good as it is. because we try to eliminate mis-information. We ENCOURAGE the use of search which also encourages the use of "intelligent" thread titles. We hope that people don't title a thread: "Look what I found" or something like that (They get properly berated) because it doesn't help new folks find anything.

On the other hand if all we do is pointlessly bash on folks, they go away, which doesn't help revenue for the forum.

So we point out that, if you're gonna be here help us help you.

If every Tom, Dick, and Harry shows up on your forum and asks "What tire size should I run?" and then proceeds to post that eleventy-billion times, do you answer them? Or do you tell them to search so all the OTHER new guys that show up don;t have to try to filter through eleventy-billion posts to find the ONE bit they are interested in.

So: Please ask what you need, put on your big-girl panties and wear your thick skin, because all the snowflakes ain't here.
This forum is friendly and helpful unlike where I "cut my forum teeth" on R3VLimited Forums - R3VLimited Forums When I first joined, if you asked a redundant question there, you'd be put in timeout or flamed bad. Either way, I try to find my own answers and add my own $0.02 when I feel it's helpful.

The speaker suggestions that were recently listed were helpful. I currently have empty speaker openings since the awesome Blaupunkts that were hacked into the doors in the mid 90s disintegrated recently. Thanks guys :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom